Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1972 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2008 5:39 PM by RunningStealth RSS
dgrosen Rookie 5 posts since
May 1, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 16, 2008 8:55 AM

Do you carry a phone when running, how?

This is something I've never reall worried about as I ran through the developments near my house.  However, as my range has gone up drasticially this spring I find myself out among fields on back roads without a house anywhere in sight.  I have started thinking maybe I should be carrying a phone with me incase.....well whatever.  I am going to order a RoadId today so I will have at least that.  I would like to carry my cell phone with me, but I would have no idea where to put it.  I'm not really excited about wearing a belt pac or anything, does anyone know of any equipment that make carrying a cell phone not that bothersome?

Thanks for any help.

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. May 16, 2008 9:20 AM (in response to dgrosen)
    Re: Do you carry a phone when running, how?

During the winter, I can fit a cell phone in the breast pocket of my running jacket (one of those vertical-zip pockets on the left-front on the chest). That's not entirely practical for the summer months, though.

I know that Amphipod has a series of clip-on pouches (Micropacks) that you could attach to the waistband of your shorts. One of those could fit a cell phone, as long as you're not carrying one of those cell-bricks from the early '90s.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• lynna065 Amateur 65 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. May 16, 2008 9:27 AM (in response to dwm082)

I have an Amphipod Airflow Lite (see dwm's link), its just big enough for keys, cell, and a couple of $.  It fits snuggly against  my back and I forget it's there once I get into my run or walk.

Training Log

• Kappaccino Rookie 3 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    3. May 16, 2008 9:52 AM (in response to dgrosen)

I literally hold my cellphone in my hands when I go out to run because I use the stopwatch/timer function. It would definitely feel more comfortable to keep it in some kind of snug shirt pocket while I run. Investing in a running watch/timer would make more sense. hehe

Any recommendations?

(edit: unintentional hijack)

• Oscar's MumMum Amateur 36 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008
    4. May 16, 2008 11:16 AM (in response to dgrosen)

I carry mine in a few places depending on the outfit.  I have a favorite pair of athletic capris that have a button pocket on the left thigh that fits the phone.  Since I go out early in the morning, it usually gets zippered into my windbreaker.  I also thought of getting an arm band and headphones since my phone has music too.

• kimber45caliber@yahoo.com Rookie 175 posts since
    Oct 20, 2007
    5. May 16, 2008 11:29 AM (in response to Oscar's MumMum)

I always carry a phone.  You'll probably be needing some kind of hydration system soon so you might look at something that will also carry your phone.  Make sure you put your phone in a zip-lock bag.  Sweat and condensation from a water bottle will get your phone wet.  I bought one url=http://www.amphipod.com/145/145.htmlone of these.[/url]  However, it flops up and down when I run.  So I hook it on the inside of my shorts.  It doesn't bounce at all.  It just looks like I have an alien growing out of my stomach.     Amphipod has several items that are small enough to carry a phone and not too bulky. 

url=http://www.amphipod.com/320/320.htmlI use this[/url] for carrying water.  You do get used to it bouncing around.  It has a little zippered area that will hold my phone, my keys and some gels.

• uisrunnergirl Rookie 1 posts since
    May 16, 2008
    6. May 16, 2008 11:38 AM (in response to dgrosen)

In the winter, I'll carry it in a pocket on my running jacket. In the warmer months, I'm not gonna lie...I wear 2 sports bras (not b/c I'm overly endowed b/c I'm a 32/34 almost B)...and I stick it in between the bras. I'll likely carry it in a pack when I'm wearing it as I train for longer distances this summer.

• Gofishtlp Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 30, 2008
    7. May 16, 2008 2:54 PM (in response to dgrosen)

I like carrying my phone too and used my jacket in the colder temps.  I just bought some addidas running shorts with a zipper pocket on the back (center).    It works perfectly and the phone doesn't bounce around much at all.

• chuck43 Expert 1,054 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. May 17, 2008 10:52 AM (in response to Gofishtlp)

they make a carrier for phones that strap to your arm like an Ipod holder except it's for phones. Easy to get to also. I got mine at a sportting goods store

• ltr Rookie 54 posts since
    Jul 23, 2007
    9. May 17, 2008 4:12 PM (in response to dgrosen)

I don't carry a phone when I run since it's all resedential and if I'm not close to someone's house that I know, I'll just pick a house and ask to use their phone.  But for those of you who feel the need to carry phones, pepper spray or a halfway point ham sandwich, look into cycling jerseys, they have a couple pockets on the back that easily holds whatever you need for a couple hours away from the convienece of modern life.  And yes, you can get plain colored cycling jerseys without all the advertising many people aure used to and they are made of the same wicking material that other sports clothing is made out of.

• letchitsa1 Amateur 20 posts since
    Oct 13, 2007
    10. May 19, 2008 1:15 AM (in response to dgrosen)

I use this gem for my longer runs - it works well for me because it has very little bounce.  Depending on the size of your cell phone, it should fit easily into the pouch..

• Running Mom 41123 Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 17, 2008
    11. May 22, 2008 5:06 PM (in response to dgrosen)

I carry it in a fanny pack kind of thing so can't help you there but I do have a bit of advice for everyone. I read it in a magazine so I believe it is true. It said that one way to help the paramedics/what not if you are hurt is to have someone in your phone who starts with ICE (in case of emergency). So say your husband is your contact and his name is Bob. Simply program ICE-Bob and then input his #'s.

• Runin on empty Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 27, 2007
    12. May 22, 2008 5:25 PM (in response to dgrosen)

When I run alone I wear an arm band around my bicep that holds an iPod, and I sometimes clip my phone onto it. In the winter, I wear under armor pants (which are tight) and I lodge the phone in my pant leg down around the shin. Depending on how big your phone is, and what type of Road ID you purchased, you may be able to fit the phone into the Road ID pouch (works for small phones, but nothing as big as a Razor). If it is raining, I put it in a zip lock bag first. Hope this helps!

• RunningStealth Amateur 13 posts since
    May 22, 2008
    13. May 22, 2008 5:39 PM (in response to dgrosen)

Try fitting your phone where ur ipod goes or put in back pocket if phone not bulky.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...