Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4107 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2008 3:57 PM by JoeDecker
LivinFit Amateur 12 posts since
Jan 23, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 3, 2008 10:10 AM

Gyms Or Home?

Do you prefer to work out at home or the gym? I prefer the gym since at 24 Hour Fitness they have so much to do like the pool and free classes, I don't find myself getting bored. Where do you go?

• saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    1. Mar 3, 2008 2:37 PM (in response to LivinFit)
    Re: Gyms Or Home?

If I had the ability to work out at home with all the weights and machines I needed I would definitely enjoy that, but unfortunately I don't. The gym isn't a bad option though and especially for classes which I enjoy. I used to be a complete gym rat, but now I've found myself enjoying the outdoors more and more. I moved to San Diego about seven months ago so its been pretty easy to enjoy the outdoors here and exercise that way. I've started doing more hiking and beach walking/running which has been fun and different. I'm from the east coast though so I know how winter gets and the gym is a great option.

• saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    3. Mar 7, 2008 9:31 AM (in response to LivinFit)

I moved out here in August, but I lived here for three summers while I was in college and came out on every break possible so it feels like I have been here a lot longer. I played lacrosse in college and every year a couple more girls moved out here after graduation starting with my freshman year so there is a pretty good crew. I used to belong to 24 hour fitness when I was training for lacrosse in the summers out here, but now I use the outdoors mostly minus the occasional yoga class at a local place. We actually have a small but decent gym at my work here which has been awesome. It has the standard machines and a pool so that works for me! Where are you from in California? Do you still live out here? I love the weather!!! I'm spoiled already.

Sara

• adamsuperman Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Mar 7, 2008 5:18 PM (in response to LivinFit)

24 HOUR FITNESS ROCKS, I LIKE THE WHOLE SOCIAL EVENT OF THE GYM. THE MUSIC, THE PEOPLE, SEEING THE FAMILARS, THE CUTE GIRLS ( I PROMISE LADIES I NEVER HIT ON GIRLS AT THE GYM...NOW THE GYM PARKING LOT IS ANOTHER STORY LOL) BUT I CAN SEE WHY PEOPLE WANT TO WORK OUT AT HOME. 24 HOUR FINTESS I BELONG TO HERE IN SO CAL IS GREAT BUT I DO GET BOARED SOMETIMES WITH THE SAME OLD, SAME OLD. BUT ITS BETTER TO BE BOARED THAN TO BE UNPRODUCTIVE!! LATERS!!!! SO OF COURSE IM FOR GYMS....EVEN IF YOUR RICH AND CAN HAVE YOUR OWN GYM I WOULD RATHER GO OUT A PUBLIC GYM!!!! ( UNLESS ITS JESSICA BIELS HOME GYM I COULD WORK OUT WITH HER AND NEVER GET BOARED)

• culinarydoctor Expert 77 posts since
    Oct 31, 2007
    6. May 23, 2008 4:44 PM (in response to LivinFit)

I work at a Gym.  But I definitely "work out" at home, as well as the park and various fitness centers.  Exercises can be done anywhere, you just have to get creative.  The squat requires only a couple square feet of space, and cast iron weights or rubber dumbbells can be substituted with rocks or heavy books (especially old Bibles), and a stability ball cost less than what most people pay per month at the gym.  The great thing about training at home is that there is a food science laboratory, and you can be experimenting with your oven or Bunsen burner while you smash out that last set of pushups.

Did you know that the word gym is derived from the Greek word for nude / naked(gymnos).  That is because the original Olympic sports, such as wrestling and foot races, were preformed au natural. Of course at home you can workout without clothes on, as long as your roommates and family doesn't protest or they aren't exposed.

• JoeDecker Expert 11 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    7. Jun 19, 2008 3:57 PM (in response to culinarydoctor)

Gyms, for me, are a neccessary evil. I would prefer a jungle gym, pull-up bars, a rock pile, some tractor tires and a set of dumbbells. Oh, and you can't forget a long set of stairs or hill to carry either your rock pile, dumbbells or partner up! Now you're talking! I actually like to mix it up and just keep it fun, challenging and interesting.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...