Skip navigation

13724 Views 30 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2013 11:56 AM by Chris1439 RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
BigGirlsTri Expert 59 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 23, 2008 4:36 PM

Water Vs. Sports Drinks

I'm new to Triathlons and was wondering if it is ok during workouts and events to just drink water.  Sports drinks upset my stomach.  I made myself drink some after my Tri, but it's like I'm just downing it cause I'm supposed to and I get an upset stomach.  The drink I had at my Tri was not Gatorade.  IT was something that started with a C and the flavor I had was NASTY.  It tasted like really bad cough syrup.  I wouldn't have wished this on my worst enemy.

I only do Sprint Tris, so is it necessary to eat the gel stuff or is that just for longer events? 

I'm just wondering what your opionion is on this subject. Is there an alternative to Gatorade and Powerade out there that taste good?  All and any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Trinewbie,

Melissa

• Sean0318 Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jul 31, 2006 2:07 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)
    Re: Water Vs. Sprots Drinks

I am a runner not a triathlete (yet) but I only drink a sports drink when I am running ten miles or more otherwise I stick to water.  That being said, it may not be a bad idea to have a sports drink after your Sprint Tri.  I would recommend a drink called Cytomax.  I find it is easier on the stomach and not as sweet as Gatorade.  There are a number of flavors, I prefer original but if you want some variety they offer that.  It is a powder that you can mix with water.  I hope that helps, good luck on your next Tri.

• mlb1153 Amateur 45 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jul 31, 2006 11:31 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

I suggest you read some of the comments from athletes that have used the latest new electrolyte hydration powder drink mix called LowOz. Go to website www.xxtrafitness.com (use 11564702 to order online)

Some more comments are also found on this site under the heading "new gatorade endurance".

The study results from the NTC in Clermont, Flda. are soon to be published that show LowOz superior to all the major sports hydration drinks on the market.

Best Regards,

Personal health coach

Ann

• Dr Pepper Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Aug 3, 2006 6:07 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Health doctors suggest drinking water during work outs and sports drinks after.  This is because the work outs make tiny incisions to the muscle.  The water allows you to keep hydrated during your work out.  The sports drinks have special additives to them to be able to repair the muscle tears. 

Hope this helps; I learned this in a health class.

Dr Pepper

• tmckasy Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Aug 4, 2006 10:14 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

I'm also a "sprint" tri-girl...not a newbie, but I used to have the same thing happen to me. What has helped me ALOT is eating 2 servings of yogurt the morning of the race (along with a bagel, toast or whatever ). It seems to coat my stomach and helps it not feel as acidic at the end of the race. If it's offered at the finish, I'll have another one with the banana. Hope it works for you and good luck,

Lady T of Minnesota

• TynanN Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Aug 8, 2006 11:59 AM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

I'm a bit inexperienced with running and triathlons. I've only been running since I turned 18 about half a year ago, but I've found out that water works best for me after I run/swim/bike. If I feel drained, I'll have a recovery drink like GNC's pro-performance Distance or a small recovery meal depending on the time or my mood.

• ctbb081 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Aug 9, 2006 6:32 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Hi Melissa,

I have been a triathlete, road and mountain bike racer, adventure racer...you name it for over 20 years. I have seen and tried everything on the market. Sports drinks are personal preference. Ask your friends and people you train with what they do. The best thing you can do is experiment. Try a diluted (just add more water to it)version of something you like the taste of. You are probably just sensitive to the concentration. You may also have a problem with Fructose. Most sports drinks have Fructose corn syrup as the carbohydrate. I know people who have used Hammer Gel mixed with water to create their own sports drink. It is 100% Maltodextrin...a good complex carb. I have only used Hammer Gel as an energy gel and it works for me. The only problem is there are no electrolytes in it so you have to supplement with their e-caps or something like it.

Basically experiment with things that taste good. If you don't like how it tastes you aren't going to drink it and that is the same as nothing.

Water is fine if you are going less than 2 hours on the bike. With running I wouldn't go much more than an hour without a sports drink.

Oh and for the person who said that sports drinks repair your muscles...that a bunch of crap! Your body repairs your muscles with protein and carbohydrates are stored there also. A sports drink is merely a way of refueling yourself during or after a workout.

Sorry this is so long...

See you in the Tri-nches,

Craig

• jagreaves Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Aug 17, 2006 10:21 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Gatorade hurts my stomach too and is way to strong. Lots of toxins such as colouring that might be the culprit.

AminoVital sports drink taste great and I find they reduce soreness and speed recovery

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Sep 12, 2006 3:35 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Melissa,

A sprint triathlon is still a supreme effort to ask of your body and thereby you need to fuel your body for it.  I have done a few sprints myself and for me IT works best to drink some diluted gatorade after the swim, some kind of gel or shot blocks with water on the bike and at T2 I grab a water bottle to haul with me as I start the run for a minute or so and then I toss it.  I've read some of your other posts and from your times it looks like you could even do some kind of a gel (always with something to wash it down) before the race and another one during the run if you can tolerate them.  I run alot and on my long runs It's unbelievable to me how much better I feel with the gels.  As with anything else you need to find out what works for you and train with them before your races.  For me, the amount of supplements I use depends on how I feel and how they work for me.  I tend to burn calories quickly so I use gels about every 35-40 minutes while racing and while training I may even eat something during a long run (Salted nut rolls, fruit roll-ups...) And I always eat right before I workout in the morning otherwise I start to burn muscle instead of fat and I feel like I'm starving to death. Anyway I hope you can find a solution that works for you.  (Oh, I like the lemon lime gatorade powder and I dilute it as much as possible.)

Good Luck

• FinAddict Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Feb 22, 2007 7:45 AM (in response to BigGirlsTri)
    Short workout hydration

I'm glad to see others who drink water on short runs or rides. I'm riding a lot lately but have not lost weight. I'm thinking now that the problem may be that I drink a sports drink bottle or two in the period before, during and after a 40 minute ride - I didn't even think about it until reading this thread... now it seems just plain stupid. What was I thinking?

I'll continue to carry sports drink in my camelback for longer (2+ hour) rides but always fill my bottle with water regardless of the distance.

Also, my father in law is a dentist and says that the sugar in the sports drinks can be very bad for your teeth, especially if your mouth goes dry - a shift to acid or something like that. He believes that the sports drinks are VERY important for recovery.

• yo-sal Pro 260 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    12. Mar 30, 2007 3:08 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Sports drinks are among the "hidden calorie" foods, so you're wise to drink water instead.

Sorry, but sprint triathlons aren't all that hard; water works just fine for the short time you're out there, depending on the weather and water temp.

I can't imagine eating a salted nut roll while doing a tri. That is truly a recipe for disaster for so many reasons.

Your metabolism prefers to use a combination of glycogen (stored carbs) and fatty acids all day long, whether you exercise or watch tv. Muscle is not used for energy to any appreciable amount, so don't worry about that.

• Mike $ Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 17, 2008
    13. Mar 19, 2008 3:10 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)
    Re: Water Vs. Sports Drinks

I have just gotten back into working out and running and I'm interested to know when the point is after a workout where drinking more water just turns right into water weight? Does anyone know about this? is there any standard amount I should be drinking? I am 6 foot and weight about 170 btw.

• culinarydoctor Expert 77 posts since
    Oct 31, 2007
    14. May 23, 2008 2:17 PM (in response to Mike $)
    Re: Water Vs. Sports Drinks

'water is better'   

artificial colors and flavors.  yuck.  most "sports drinks" are corn juice in disguise. 

Water is a sports drink!

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...