Skip navigation

3261 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2008 1:02 AM by wawaski RSS
1caad3 Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 11, 2004 10:19 AM

Cramping

I have been cycling for many years and have trained for

many years, recently I have been getting cramps in my chest area. I have done some research and come up with they are running cramps or"stitches". The cramping has gotten worse and has now begun to affect my legs.  I have been  to the doctor and he said it may be electrolyte imbalance, magneseum, potassium, or calcium deficientcy.

Does anybody have Ideas?

• peakscoach Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Nov 12, 2004 8:58 PM (in response to 1caad3)
    Re: Cramping

Have a sports physician or nutritionist do an electrolyte profile on you and some blood work to rule these out. Hammer Nutrition puts out a good product called Endurolytes that works really well, but you want to make sure it even is an electrolyte issue. It may also be your breathing. Have you tried switching your breathing cadence? You may also want to step up your endurance (aerobic) training and some stretching. Foods like, strawberries, blueberries, fruits and veggies also have natural occuring electorlytes in them that may help. I hope you get this figured out. Let me know if we can be of greater assistance.

Jeb Stewart MS, CSCS, Coach

The Peaks Coaching Group

"We Care About Your Success!"

www.peakscoachinggroup.com

jeb@peakscoachinggroup.com

(540) 586-4200 phone

(540) 586-5715 fax

Click Here to Check Out Jeb's Strength Training Plans for Endurance Athletes Online at http://trainingpeaks.com

Jul 9, 2007
    2. Nov 14, 2004 1:29 PM (in response to 1caad3)

It is really easy to blame electrolytes and hydration as the cause of cramping but it is not always the case.

The symptoms you experience are common in athletes, esp. at the start of intense training during a preparation period. I too have experienced it and after 1-2 rides it has gone away. I don't have a clue why it would affect the legs but if it continues I would get a sport physician involved.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10694128

Chad Butts MS,HFI

The Peaks Coaching Group

chad@peakscoachinggroup.com

540-586-4200 (P)

540-586-5715 (F)

?The human body is not a thing or substance, given, but a continuous creation. The human body is an energy system which is never a complete structure; never static; is in perpetual inner self-construction and self-destruction; we destroy in order to make it new.?

-Norman O Brown

Jul 9, 2007
    3. Nov 14, 2004 1:36 PM (in response to 1caad3)

Perhaps respiratory muscle training?

Chad Butts MS,HFI

The Peaks Coaching Group

chad@peakscoachinggroup.com

540-586-4200 (P)

540-586-5715 (F)

?The human body is not a thing or substance, given, but a continuous creation. The human body is an energy system which is never a complete structure; never static; is in perpetual inner self-construction and self-destruction; we destroy in order to make it new.?

-Norman O Brown

• Milkman91 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Nov 20, 2004 7:10 PM (in response to 1caad3)

My wife has experienced severe cramping in her legs, after 30 to 40 mile ride. It knocks her down for several days.  She needs certain prescription drugs on a regular basis.  We were taking a regiment of vitamins daily. Some research on the internet has turned up that certain vitamins absorb others and the body doesn't get to use them. We adjusted by taking the vitamins in the evening and any meds in the morning. This has been successful and a real eye opener.

• wawaski Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. May 24, 2008 1:51 AM (in response to peakscoach)

Back at it....using the Hammer products, Endurolytes and Petpetuem, todays ride was 31 mi @ 98 degrees w/ 15 mph wind...did good till mi 29 and then the hamstring cramps returned...both legs....hard to train for a 66 mi race when you can't get by 30!!!! Grrrrr.......X-(

A.

Go hard or stay in the yard...

• wawaski Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. May 27, 2008 1:02 AM (in response to peakscoach)

May have found the "culprit" on the hamstring/calf cramps. Used the heart rate monitor on my last 30mi ride, I have my upper threshold set at 166, was doing about 130-140 for most of the ride, on the last 4 miles in noticed I was at 166-170 on the flat with a tailwind. I'm thinking that the heat (100) may have finally started taking its' toll? Used Perpetum and the Edurolytes, probebly not enough of the latter in hindsight.

:_|

Go hard or stay in the yard...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...