Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2208 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2008 3:12 AM by TNTRUNR RSS
Runner_Girl16 Rookie 3 posts since
May 13, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 13, 2008 7:43 AM

Help!  Tips for post-event running needed!

I've been running on and off for about a year, and at the end of March I completed my first half marathon.  The event was awesome, I loved it and met my goals.  After taking almost a month off because of school and an injury, I'm having a horrible time getting back into a running routine again.  My lung capacity feels small, I've put on weight and my mental block seems to be huge.  Not being able to finish a 4 miler in less than 40 minutes after completing the half is so embarassing I don't even want to get out there and try.

Whats wrong with me?!  I want to be able to run and feel like I did prior to the half, do I need to start from scratch to make that happen?!

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. May 13, 2008 9:57 AM (in response to Runner_Girl16)
    Re: Help! Tips for post-event running needed!
    Runner_Girl16 wrote:

Whats wrong with me?!  I want to be able to run and feel like I did prior to the half, do I need to start from scratch to make that happen?!

Welcome to active.com!

Well, you were injured and lost a good deal of fitness when you weren't able to run for a month (plus putting on weight never helps).  The same thing happened to me this summer when I lost two months of training to back-to-back injuries (and put on 15 pounds).  Sometimes it does feel like you're starting from scratch, but it will get better.  The improvements should come much more quickly than if you were really just beginning.  The mental part is tough, however, knowing that you were recently able to run faster and farther.  It can be hard to get motivated to push yourself to hit a time that seems so slow, but I imagine you will be back to your old self in a couple of months.  Please let us know if you have any more questions or comments.

Good luck!

Jay

• Manti Pro 28 posts since
    Dec 22, 2007
    2. May 15, 2008 6:09 AM (in response to Runner_Girl16)

whatever you do... dont try to come back so fast that you end up getting injured again.   coming back slow is mentally painful, but it is never bad as just starting to feel good about the progress you are making and then ending up sidelined with an injury again.   take pride in your 4 miles @ 40 minutes.... most the folks around you at work or in your neighborhood couldnt walk 4 miles without a feedzone and nap, let alone run that far.

• RunningStealth Amateur 13 posts since
    May 22, 2008
    4. May 25, 2008 8:17 AM (in response to Runner_Girl16)

Do you train alone or do you have a running partner. It is kind of hard to push yourself so it seems like your running slow.  I feel that way but come race day I'm always well prepared and tend to stay up with the other competitors. Your body has taken its toll from training for a year off and on then competiting in the half marathon.  Our legs are made to take a pounding so its ok to rest at least once or twice out of the week.  We are like automobiles we tend to heat up after a long journey.

• Glendeti Amateur 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Sep 29, 2008 8:12 PM (in response to Runner_Girl16)

Hello I am a veteran marathon turned fitness runner and have been there, did that.  After have very much success at improving and being the runner and achieving success that I never even dream from the scrawny shy adolescent in High School.  I sympathize with you.  Its mind over matter.  Maybe try some stretching (without running or working out) or maybe become involved in Yoga.  These are some of the things that have worked for me.  What it really took was fracturing my tibia on my birthday running trails   I love to run trails.  Re-injuring it and taking the time off necessary to endure the neccessary Physical Therapy and adhering to the Professionals advice, when I did return to running, there was this unbelievable "bounce" in my step.  This gave me the needed motivation.  I still had work to do but 9 months later I am registered and going to run the Towpath 1/2 marathon.

Feel free to email me glennd1120@yahoo.com or call (440) 781-4481 to discuss more of my experiences, struggles and successes.

Attachments:

"Anybody and run a marathon, but it takes a real idiot to run an Ultra"

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    7. Sep 29, 2008 10:11 PM (in response to Runner_Girl16)

Have you kept any items from your very successful half - say, the T-shirt, race number, photos, etc? If so, try bringing them out; they can be great motivators. Training in the T-shirt from a good race can be especially helpful. If you don't have anything concrete, and if the race results are posted on the web, try printing out the race results, highlighting your name....can also bring back lots of good memories and help with motivation.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• TNTRUNR Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 4, 2007
    8. Sep 30, 2008 3:12 AM (in response to Runner_Girl16)

Having been a runner for over 30 years, what you are experiencing is not uncommon.  Right after a big race you have a down point.  One of the replies is correct, get a running partner, it forces you out to run.  Get hooked up with a local running club, that way you run at different levels depending on the day.  Start keeping a journal or running log and write down every mile you walk or run.  Seeing the miles in front of you each day is another way to motivate you.  It does seem to be harder to get back into your pre-race shape, but it took months to get into race shape. Take it slow and enjoy the journey.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...