Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6091 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2008 12:36 PM by Brandon Baker Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Dawn Heinrich Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 8, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. May 16, 2008 3:59 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)
    Re: So, what do you eat?

I have had the hardest time finding a breakfast that will stay with me as I have had hypoglycemic episodes. I found the perfect thing though: 1/4 cup van nonfat yogurt, 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt, 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter (I like crunchy) and1 cup high fiber low sugar cereal like puffins mixed with millet puffs. It almost tastes like a dessert but stays with me until lunch and I no longer get weak, shakey and grumpy!

• runshawnarun Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 10, 2008
    17. May 16, 2008 4:18 PM (in response to ChrstKmb21)

I just copied your diet..  You are able to eat that much bread and still maintain 4% bodyfat?  I eat eggwhites & Ezekial bread every morning too.  But my bodyfat is 20%!!  Thanks for your post!  How many calories is that a day??? 

• ChrstKmb21 Amateur 25 posts since
    Mar 11, 2008
    19. May 16, 2008 9:30 PM (in response to runshawnarun)

Eating the way I do works for me due to my body type, genetics, metabolism, and the way I train. I do not recommend anyone eat the way I do. For me it is very easy to maintain 4% body fat. Calorie wise I take in about 900 calories a day and I train like crazy... so like I said it works for me, but not for others. Also, I am hypoglycemic and lactose... so my body can only really process certain things safely! I do this for a living... being a personal trainer and all so I build nutrition plans for clients daily and ones that they are actually able to maintain and will work for them to the fullest benefit. I am also very in tune with my body so I know my needs...

Mar 11, 2008
    21. May 17, 2008 9:36 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Who knows...lol I just have always been really hyper and energetic so I guess it is just me  That is why I said my diet is just for me... not for anyone else!

• marie Dyste Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 3, 2008
    22. May 17, 2008 2:10 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Help me here, why would you want to have 4% body fat?  For a woman that is pretty low and from what I understand could lead to a lot of other problems.  I appreciate that you are able to stick with a strict diet, but it just seems its a little extreme.  Please enlighten me if I am wrong.

My typical diet:

Breakfast: Pumpkin pancakes (my own recipe)w/ strawberries

Lunch: Stir fry tofu and veges in curry with rice

Dinner: BBQ Salmon, artichokes, salad, baked potatoes

Desert: always a piece of chocolate and a glad of red wine

Let me add I run 4 days (2 days-8-12 miles, 2 days 4-5 w/ stroller) , swim 1-2,days hike (with a 35lb 3yo on my back) one day.  I am 5'10" and weigh 145 lbs..body fat about 11%.

Mar 11, 2008
    24. May 20, 2008 11:08 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

well so far so good  Like I said... I just do what works for me and until it does not work anymore I will continue doing it... When it stops working then I will have to make a new plan and figure something new out... However, there is always something new to learn in nutrition and fitness... that is one of the reasons I become a personal trainer, because it can never be borning so long as you are willing to learn from others and share your knowledge with them too.

• Brandon Baker Amateur 9 posts since
    Apr 28, 2008
    25. May 27, 2008 12:36 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

I just wanted to chime in on this subject.  I lost a bunch of weight since I started running, but seemed to hit a plateau lately, so I stared taking a harder look at my diet.  I developed a spreadsheet were I keep track of everything I eat.  I monitor calories as well as fat, carbs and protein.  I am using the Active.com nutritional guide to obtain the correct amounts of each.  It drives my wife crazy, because before I eat anything, I have to get my spreadsheet out and compute the values to see if it works.  It's almost like a game to see how close I can come.  But I may be obsessing a bit.

Anyway, a normal running day for me might be as follows:

Breakfast:  2 scrambled eggs and 3/4 cup oatmeal with OJ or coffee

Snack:  Yogurt and an apple

Lunch:   Tuna sandwich on wheat and a salad

Snack:  String cheese and an orange

Dinner:  4 oz chicken breast, 2 cups salad, low fat dressing, 1/2 cup rice.

I try to shoot for about 1525 calories per day on normal running days since my BMR is 1525 and I still have about 10 lbs to loose.  On non running days I cut that to 1025.

I also try to shoot for 51g/day fat, 153g/day carbs and 115g/day proteins.

Since I have been doing this, I am starting to fall off the plateau

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...