Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2683 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2008 6:51 AM by Steve Carton
Steve Carton Legend 369 posts since
Oct 11, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 1, 2008 8:21 AM

What Makes a Runner?

Within the context of running marathons, I consider myself a runner, but I often wonder what makes a runnner a runner (as opposed to a jogger or something else). I've seen some articles and discussion on this in Runners World and other places that try to put a running time on this as a determinant. And I'm slooow. I can break a 5-hour marathon, and am working on breaking 4:30, but I doubt I will ever break 4:00. Forget Boston (until I'm too old to care maybe). On the other hand, I run 30-35 miles every week. I participate with a training group (someone has to tag along at the end!). Am I not a runner? Maybe not.

• RunninOnE Pro 74 posts since
    Apr 10, 2008
    1. May 1, 2008 11:45 AM (in response to Steve Carton)
    Re: What Makes a Runner?

What separates a runner from a jogger, to me, is a sense of improvement.  I am betting you track your mileage in a training log and note improvement, whereas a jogger goes out and runs and just does it to stay in shape.  They get in their thirty minute jog and they are good.  A runner has a plan.  They are going to do this workout today, and they are getting ready for "X" race.  George Sheehan said, "The only thing that separates a runner from a jogger is an entry form".  I have nothing against joggin, but I prefer to be a runner.  I don't think you have to put a time requirement on it.  Being a runner is a mentality.

Act like a horse.  Be dumb.  Just run.

- Jumbo Elliot

Smile, it confuses people.

• Slow Feet Expert 44 posts since
    Dec 2, 2007
    3. May 26, 2008 4:22 PM (in response to Steve Carton)

I've noticed this seems to be coming up more and more. Personally, I think it is up to the person to define what they are/aren't. I run because I love it - no training plan involved. To me having a training plan would make running more like work (I have to run "X" miles today/this week; I have to cross train "X" days; etc.). I run where, when and how I feel like. To many that makes me a jogger which is fine by me. When I line up (at the back of the pack) for a race, I know I will have fun. It's all good.

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. May 27, 2008 2:28 PM (in response to Steve Carton)

In my book, if both feet leave the ground at some point in your stride, you're running.

• Verifying Rookie 3 posts since
    May 26, 2008
    5. May 27, 2008 2:45 PM (in response to Steve Carton)

Joggers run for fitness, run the same course, and do not strive to improve. A runner runs competitivally, against themselves, their abilities and their fastest times. A runner always strives for improvement and is up for new challenges, such as new courses. A runner also runs for the sake of running not for fitness, to lose weight, attension, or anything else.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. May 27, 2008 4:26 PM (in response to Steve Carton)

Pearl Izumi has an interesting (and rather polarizing) take on the subject: http://www.wearenotjoggers.com/home

I happen to think that being a runner isn't a speed issue, it's about being willing to put in the effort and time needed to prepare your body to perform at a high level.  Being a runner means having a purposed-based training plan (utilizing a variety of different types of runs) for achieving your goals.  Being a runner means heading out the door on days when your body is tired and the weather is poor.  Being a runner means rehabbing through injuries and setbacks, not giving up.  Being a runner is about pushing your body and seeking continued improvement.  Steve, it sounds like you are a runner.

Dec 2, 2007
    7. May 27, 2008 4:33 PM (in response to DaveVause)

My dictionary agrees with you; "to move swiftly on foot so that both feet leave the groundfor an instant during each stride"; and it has this to say under jog; "to run in such a way for sport or exercise"- clear as mud.  I guess I'm both.

Dec 2, 2007
    8. May 27, 2008 4:39 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Heading out the door when tired/weather is poor - check

Rehabbing through injuries; two knee surgeries, one vascular surgery - check

Pushing my body - kind of check

Training plan - Whoops!

I would add; runs because he/she likes to - check.  There is something about that little extra you give at the end of a race or tough training run that I can't describe to my non-running friends and family.  Hey, I may not be a runner to some but I agree with Jay.  Steve, sounds like you are a runner to me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points