Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

80139 Views 521 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2008 2:44 PM by dave48326 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 35 Previous Next
  • Whitewater49 Amateur 27 posts since
    Apr 28, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    330. May 29, 2008 1:50 PM (in response to MammaBird)
    Re: New folks

I am new, got talked into doing a moutain run in August and figured it would be a good reason to quit smoking. I have been training for about 1.5 months now and run about 5 miles 3 or 4 times a week. Going to be bumping that up soon. Just signed up for a 5/10K on June 21. I'm still undecided if I want to do the 5 or 10K because it will be my first real run. Anyways, the smoking is gone and the running is improving, my feet and knees regularly ache but I'm hoping that will work itself out.

• Mandy_C Expert 54 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    331. May 29, 2008 7:45 PM (in response to Mandy_C)

I am aware that this is a running group. I do have a question that is not about running.  I have problems sleeping, my mind keeps racing and I get really energetic at night as soon as I lay down in bed. I am tired of getting maybe around 2 hours of sleep and feeling sluggish through out the day and drinking a lot of caffeine (Mountain Dew) to keep me going then I get tired at night and lay down and it happens all over again. I have also been getting heartburn lately and I never had problems with that before.  I am rearraning my room (taking a break from it) to see if that will help and I am going to store my tv and vcr/dvd combo so I dont have that as a distraction.  I have gotten my schooling all figured out and will be staying where I am because that would be best for me money wise and in the future. Does anybody have any suggestions?  To relax I do a devotion, right now I am working on The Purpose Driven Life and I write in my journal and then I read.  When I do all that I start really feeling tired but as soon as I turn the lights out my mind starts racing. How  do I get this to stop? I was told to go to a health store and get sleeing pills but I don't want to become attached to them. Help!?!

• Vicki S. Legend 262 posts since
    Aug 31, 2007
    332. May 29, 2008 8:29 PM (in response to Mandy_C)

Mandy,  WIth what you have been through with school and your other activities you are constantly on the go.  I have been in your position before.  I'll try to address this one at a time.

First your heartburn  could have something to with your daily eating habits. (Diets are fads).  Make your change slowly this way you are not overwhelmed.  Instead of fast food cook something or a Lean Cusine or Healthy Choice Dinner.  If you must eat fast food leave off the fries and soda get a water instead.   Eat on a regular schedule every 2 and 1/2 hours to 3 hours.   

I am not sure what kind of living are you have instead of storing your T.V. keep it out of the bed room.   Try listening to some Jazz or classical music at(Something that will relax you.

You have made a decision about school so let it rest. Move on to the next thing.  the Purpose of a Driven Life is a very good and useful tool.  I am also taking it that you haven't had a lot of working out.  I know you are very active with the youth group (I think).   Yes these are wonderful activities and I commend you for wanting to make a difference.

So my next question and the point is what does Mandy like to do?  I see a soccer ball with your name? Do you like to camp, hike, fish, ride bikes, shop, read or somethhing else.  Prehaps take a small day trip by your self or with a friend or family.  You live in Kansas, right?  How about a baseball game ( Not sure how close you are to one of the stadiums)   Depending on the location you are not that far from Colorado.  ( We could also make a million excuses not go somewhere).  You owe it to your self to just relax.   Sometimes we need a weekend to ourselves and if you miss a weekend of activities that you do that is okay.  Take break.

Try a dark room and candle light and a warm bath with slow music. I listen to Keeny G when I want this mood.  Have a nice long prayer  when you get into bed and evrything that starts racing list them.

Hope this helps.

Vicki

• Mandy_C Expert 54 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    333. May 29, 2008 8:41 PM (in response to Vicki S.)

Thanks for all the advice. No I haven't been working out like I should, I would really like to get up at 5 every morning and either do the C25K or go on a walk.  I live with my parents so I just have a bedroom, I had everything in my bedroom. A computer, stereo, tv, dvd/vcr combo, microwave, fridge.  I am keeping the computer, stereo, and fridge and going to store the rest of it somewhere.  I am taking myself shopping tomorrow but my cousin is coming with (he is 13) and I am looking for an outfit for a wedding. I haven't had a vacation in a looooooooong time so right now I am planning on going to St.Louis the week of my birthday in July with a couple friends.  Right now I am just hoping to get everything moved and semi put back and later this week and weekend I will organize everything. Yes I am involved with the youth group at my church and in another group for college students and also a girl scout leader.  Im hoping this summer will help with my schedule and help me relax, I am babysitting two days a week and work at my church Wednesday and Friday afternoons. So we will see, thanks for the advice and I will keep you updated. Hope you are having a great week!

Aug 31, 2007
    334. May 29, 2008 8:48 PM (in response to Oscar's MumMum)

Hey  Oscar,  I'll call you Grumpy  )

Try icing it and  heat  no longer than 15 minutes a piece. for htirty minutes.   I have also use icy hot or deep heat.   THe main thing with a hamstring is that it takes time.  Stay off of it as much as possible.

Next there more 5ks out there with our names on them.

I ride a bike so I recommend that.   With th e7 lbs.  You probaly still eat like you did when you were running/  Cut back some on you caloric intake because your metablism is not as fast as it was. 

We have been there at one time or another. Now that it is out of your system move on. If you miss the run or walk it drive on to the next goal.  When you do start back so one day  a 2 min. run and 3 min. walk to see where your at. You might be surprised as where you stand physically.

Also heres one for you i haven't worn my kne brace in ages I run and bike 6 days a week. for th emost part, then I got anew job one where I stand, squat, bend over and walk all day.  By doing this I aggravated my knee and have fluid build up and now have to wear my brace at work and when I run.  The last run I did was Saturday and I probably won't run until next Tuesday. which seems like an eternity.

Take break the hamstring is a common but painful injury.    Don't worry about running but getting better.

Vicki    

• stargal Expert 52 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    335. May 31, 2008 6:03 PM (in response to Vicki S.)

Hello Everyone!! Its been 2 weeks now since I've been able to run. The Chiropractor won't let me run yet because of my neck being out of whack. I was doing a lil better but just spent a week in Tennesse and did alot of hiking, horseback riding and not to mention the motion rides, LOLLL Well went to Dr on Friday and he still says no running yet!! I go back again on Monday and I'm praying I can run then. Keep your fingers crossed please!! I was doing so well on week 6 but I think I'll have to go back a week to get back in the groove.

Sounds like everyone is doing great! Vicki I'm soooo proud of you running 12 minutes now. I pray I can do that soon. 

Rebecca what part of Florida are you in. I live in the Largo/Clearwater area? Would be nice to find a running partner.

Seth I'm so Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. I think its great you've started your father at the gym. It will be good for him to get out and be more physical. I'm happy to hear about your leg doing better and you're running again. Congrats on that.

Have a wonderful week everyone!

Aug 31, 2007
    336. May 31, 2008 6:33 PM (in response to stargal)

Stargal,  I would run with you if I was there   Glad to here Tennesse was great. Can't wait until we move there. 

I think I am in a rut and can't get past twelve minute mark.  Sounds like week for day 3 the hump day!   How far are you from the Tri-city area in Tennesse. 

Enjoy the rest you are getting. Are there any exercises you can do instead of running?  You may only have to do 1 or 2 days at the previous week.

Vicki

• rebecca58103 Amateur 8 posts since
    May 23, 2008
    337. Jun 1, 2008 5:23 AM (in response to stargal)
    Re: New folks.

Stargal, I live in the greater Miami area, unfortunately, that would have been great if we were closer.

There are so many people who run here, I just haven't been able to meet someone who is interested in making friends, lol.  I've only been hhere a few months so theres still hope.

I ran my 3rd 5k yesterday and it was so hot with no shade, no clouds.  I still beat my best time and finished at 29 minutes.  I came 4th in my age group!

For everyone who is nervous to actually run the 5k, don't be, it is so fun and such a rush, so many people stop to walk for a bit and its no big deal, with each race you just try and walk less.  If I had known how much I would love running these races I would have started a long time ago!

I think I'm becoming addicted.

• stargal Expert 52 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    338. Jun 3, 2008 3:48 PM (in response to rebecca58103)

Hey Vicki, We stayed in Gatlinburg. I live in Florida. Where you planning on moving in Tennessee? Its a beautiful place.  Miss the weather and the mountains.  The Chiropractor is starting me on weighted neck exercises tomorrow to try and strengthen my neck muscles.  I can walk, bike or swim just nothing that will jar my neck like running. I'm praying after one or two exercise sessions he'll let me start to run again. Its been 3 weeks!!!

Rebecca that is too bad you're not closer. I'm in the Tampa Bay area. A lil far for us to meet daily, LOLLLLL   I'm so proud of your 5K time. That's AWESOME!  Running a 5K is my goal for this year. Hopefully soon.  The heat and humidity has been terrible lately. I don't know how you're doing it girl. 

Well guess I'll go for a walk now. I feel like I'm so full of energy I'm gonna burst if I don't do something LOLLLLL

Have a great run everyone!!

May 23, 2008
    339. Jun 3, 2008 4:30 PM (in response to stargal)

Stargal, I can't run outside regularly here, only for the races.  You are right it is SO hot and the humidity fills your lungs, it's tough, but I can deal with it for 3 miles.

Do you have a neighborhood pool, go swimming, get some goggles and swim a few laps.  Swimming from one end of the pool to the other underwater helps my lung function when I run, that would be a good way for you to condition yourself until you can run again. 

Aug 31, 2007
    340. Jun 3, 2008 9:47 PM (in response to stargal)

Hey  Stargal,

Guess what I am hooked on?    Swimming  Yeah I went with my friends last night to the gym and worked out in the pool with them.  I learned a lot so now the triathalon bug has bit me.

But first I do need practice on my form and I have to let the swelling in my knee go down.  My friend is giving me the name of her Dr.   Don't really want to go, but need a proper diagnois.  Hopefully I can run by Saturday.  At least I can still bike and swim.

As soon as our house sells here we are moving.  Any want to buy a house in Las Vegas? )   

Have a good week every one

• John -the Penguin- Bingham Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 2, 2007
    341. Jun 4, 2008 5:36 AM (in response to MammaBird)

Welcome to the wonderful community of runners, walkers, run/walkers, walk/runners and more. This is a great time to be in and around the sport and activity of running.

You have resources available to you that can help you train, keep you motivated, answer your questions, and - in general - make your transition from sedentary confinement to athlete one that will be exciting and rewarding.

Although I'm not new, I remember the struggles of trying to change my life with my own two feet. In the past 12 years as a columnist for Runner's World, I've been lucky enough to meet thousands of Newbies. I know that the change that you want is possible if you'll be patient and gentle with yourself.

All the best.

John “the Penguin” Bingham, Runner’s World columnist
    Author, The Courage to Start, No Need for Speed, Marathoning for Mortals and Running for Mortals.

Have a question for John? E-mail it to thepenguin@johnbingham.com.

• daydreams76 Amateur 30 posts since
    May 21, 2008

I was planning to start my C25K last week, but had traveled to NY which threw that off. I walked a ton in NY and came back with a swollen left ankle:-( I started to get back into it yesterday evening, but could only do about 3 mins total running and walked 30. My nagging problem is shin splits on my left foot and also some pain around the left ankle. I've been stretching and also doing some yoga about 2-3 times a week. What are some good stretches to try and move past this?

• lpiotti Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 29, 2008
    343. Jun 4, 2008 6:48 AM (in response to MammaBird)

I started in April, and can now run 3 miles! I have a love/hate relationship with it. I can't say I enjoy myself while running (and i hate sweaty hair!), but it feels sooo good afterwards, such a sense of accomplishment!

May 23, 2008
    344. Jun 4, 2008 11:15 AM (in response to daydreams76)

Daydreams76, I suffered from shinsplints when I started running, as did my husband.  The only thing that really helped us get past it is toe raises.  Stand with just your toes on a step and lift up to your tip toes, then lower down so your heals are below the step, repeat each leg separately as many as you can do and try to do it every day.

1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 35 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...