Skip navigation

2522 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2008 12:56 PM by RJ A RSS
RJ A Expert 15 posts since
Aug 21, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 21, 2008 5:43 AM

Mid Back Tightness after long or intense rides

Hello everyone, I was hoping some of your experience could help me. I have been experinece some what I would describe as mid back tightness towards the ends of longer rides and for about a day after rides. I would not call this pain debilitating but more nusiance. I am a bit of a newbie triathlete and have been training on the bike for about two years now building up my mileage.

I have been fitted to my bike but it was a quick fit nothing overly scientific. I guess my simple question is this. Do you all think this tightness is just something I have to work through like sore quads, or should I go and have my bike fit checked? When I ride alone I spend quite a bit of time in the Aero bars but when I ride group, (once a week) I obviously ride on the hoods. The group rides are generally more intense. Not sure if I experince the tightness more on one then the other, but my back is tight this morning after the 40 mile group ride last night. Any advice whould be appreciated.

As a side note I complete my threads with follow up's and solutions if I find them  as to create a resource for others to use.

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 21, 2008 5:00 PM (in response to RJ A)
    Re: Mid Back Tightness after long or intense rides

I would take the bike into a bike shop with someone who will make sure you are correctly fitted to the bike.  Riding with the aero bars and riding on the hoods will bring different muscles into play of course, so have him/her check you in both positions.  Stretching after you ride is always a good idea, maybe incorporate a pilates or yoga class once a week?  Stronger abs make for a stronger back.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points