Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1614 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2008 12:37 PM by dwm082
2barkley Rookie 45 posts since
May 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 3, 2008 7:44 PM

Need success stories from people who have had to repeat weeks!!

I am feeling very discouraged. I'm ebarrassed to admit that I was actually in tears on the treadmill at the gym tonight! This is the end of my second week on week 4 and I still can't do it. Tonight was the worst yet! Everything hurts! Please tell me that this is possible even if I have to do week for for a month!

Thanks

• dougnl Rookie 118 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007

I've repeated days, and now I'm repeating the entire program. you can do it!

what exactly are you having problems with.

• GatorGirl71 Expert 598 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007

There is no reason why you can't repeat days or weeks, the program is a guideline & you have to adjust it to fit your needs. I repeated two of the weeks on the c25k, I completed it in Sept 2006 & I'm still running... I have run 2 HM and a 15K this year. You can do this - there's no need to rush through the program.

Remember... take it slow and then go even slower than you think "slow" is. You should be able to talk while running. Get fitted for proper running shoes, you'll be amazed at the difference in your legs & feet with the right shoes. For soreness, use ice packs (a bag of frozen peas works great!) after each run for 10 minutes, do this throughout the day to help with swelling. You can also use ibuprofen after your run to help bring down inflammation. Also, take your rest days & let your body recover in between running days.

Good luck - just remember, you CAN do this! There are hundreds of people out there that have done this same program & are still running today

Melanie - mom to 3, WW member since April 2005, runner since July 2006. I lost 40 lbs and have been a Lifetime Member since 2007.

• Rachel Addison Rookie 3 posts since
    May 2, 2008

My progress is slooooow as well. It's discouraging because we want much more encouragement from our bodies!! But remember, in 5 years when you're a seasoned runner it will be worth it!

• Epona Rookie 40 posts since
    Apr 24, 2008

Aw don't feel discouraged - you're DOING it and that's the main thing. It's much better to take things at the pace your body demands than overdo it and injure yourself, or put yourself off going out again by taking on stuff you're not ready for. I think the main thing is that we stick at this for the long term - I mean it's about our long term health, not about finishing the C25K as quickly as possible, or even finishing it at all for that matter (though I'm sure it's possible in the end!) so you've got to remember that!.

I had to do quite a few days of week 3. And I'm on week 6 now, but really I couldn't manage the awful wk5 day3 twenty minute run thing as well as I'd hoped. So I'll be trying that again I think, rather than killing myself trying to do 25 minutes and feeling annoyed and dismayed when I can't.

But when I think about how I've improved since that first day.. it's astonishing really. And you must remind yourself of this too.

I keep a little notebook with notes for every run.. my aches and pains kind of stopped circa week4 - maybe once you have built up enough strength in your knees (or wherever) then your pains will go away too?

Keep it going anyway!!

• jenniferbaker Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Having to repeat any of the C25K is totally fine, I mean look at far you've progressed and be proud of that!!! I'm personally proud of anyone taking the initiative as I am to get off the couch and move, whether it is walking or running, you are increasing your cardiovascular and muscular well-being and that's what's important!  I am a terribly slow runner, so even when I finish the C25K (I'm on week 6 now), I will still not be running in 5Ks any time soon because I do not cover nearly enough distance on my runs to withstand a 5K (especially in this heat). 

Keep going and don't get discouraged - think of every day that you get out there and run as an accomplishment. We set the goals to meet for the C25K, but that's all they are, goals. We cannot think of our days that we do not make our goals as failures because we got up off of our rumps and ran.  The last thing anyone needs is an injury, and believe me, repeating weeks of the program is healthy.  And there is nothing that says you can't walk part of the way in a 5K anyway. Many people do it, and guess what, they still accomplished a 5K. Listen to your body and do what's best for YOU. No one else can tell you what's right or wrong for YOUR body.

• coriander1209 Amateur 63 posts since
    Feb 11, 2008

I had to repeat 2 0r 3 weeks during the program and I have finished and I have run in 3 5k races since then.  I finished at the end of May.  I think it took me a total of 12 weeks to do the 9 week program.  I survived on ibuprofen after I got new running shoes.  You may want to try taking a week off with no running at all.  I found that I was still in pain even after finishing the program.  I took a week off from running and I have nto been in pain since.  I also found that the interval running was causing the most pain.  ONce i started running 20 min or more at a time, the pain subsided.  Keep it up. I think its great that you are doing it!!!  Go at whatever pace you need to.  I am not sure how fast you are running, but maybe try slowing down?  That may help

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I did c25k last summer, and I repeated several days over the course of the program. (I don't recall if I repeated weeks, but I know there were quite a few days that I repeated.) I ran a sub-two-hour half-marathon a couple of weekends ago. I'm planning on running a marathon at the end of October.

Don't worry about repeating days or weeks. You'll get there and you'll be awesome.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...