Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3935 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2008 7:15 PM by graciemax RSS
lpiotti Amateur 20 posts since
Apr 29, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 4, 2008 6:16 AM

running is a pain in the butt - literally

No lauging...   

Last week I completed the Couch to 5k program - which was a big milestone for me, as I'm a new runner and never thought I'd grow to like it. And along the 9-week journey, I had little aches and pains here and there, which was really just my body getting used to runnng and I had to adjust my warmups/stretching accordingly.

Last night, I went to the gym (I only run on the treadmill so far, as I like the consistent pacing) and ran 3.1 miles again, but afterwards (and even until bedtime, and again this morning until the present) I've had a lot of pain in my butt! Stretching hasn't really helped and I don't want to over-do that anyway. The pain is right where my leg meets my cheek - but only on the right side. I feel it when I walk and use the stairs. Ouch.

Is my form off? Am I running too "heavy?" I feel like it must be an impact issue that is sending pain up my leg. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts or ideas.

Thanks!

Lauren

• jenniferbaker Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jun 4, 2008 3:07 PM (in response to lpiotti)
    Re: running is a pain in the butt - literally

Lauren,

Alot of times stretching will not ease the stiffness or tension in those areas that we feel issues with.  If you have access to a gym, go use a foam roller on those muscles you feel tight or achy in.  This is called myofascial release - it's kind of like giving yourself a sports massage.  I love the foam roller so much I bought one at a local outlet for about $8, and it works just as well as those at the gym (and you'll know it's much cleaner too!).

Or, go out and treat yourself to a massage, letting the person working with you know that you are running, and experiencing stiffness.  Your hamstring is probably tight, which is pulling on your glutes, or it may be causing you to over-compensate on some movements subconsciously when you run.  I also use an icy hot stick (looks like a stick of deoderant, but glides on wonderfully) after I workout and that helps too.

Good luck!

• beststretch.com Amateur 20 posts since
    Jun 4, 2008
    3. Jun 5, 2008 7:01 AM (in response to lpiotti)

Jenniferbaker gave a really good answer.

It sounds to me like it's an upper semitendinosus strain (but I'm no doctor) I had something similar to this about 2 years ago. Stretching and ice work very well.

You should still be able to workout normally with some discomfort. If it gets worse STOP and contact a PT or doctor. Good luck, hope it gets better.

• DeborahJr Rookie 1 posts since
    May 5, 2008
    4. Jun 5, 2008 3:58 PM (in response to lpiotti)

Lauren, I had a very similar problem and began doing hamstring curls and walking lunges. As my hamstrings, glutes and quads grew strongerwhich took a few weeksthe pain subsided and never returned.  Congrats on your progress!!

• cbcarioca Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 25, 2005
    5. Jun 6, 2008 2:14 PM (in response to lpiotti)

Hi there,

I had something like this and it was diagnosed as High hamstring tendinopathy, which is "an overuse injury most often seen in middle- and long-distance runners. High hamstring tendinopathy is quite literally “a pain in the ***”, and patients will typically complain of a deep buttock or upper hamstring pain brought on during acceleration and at faster speeds. Some will complain of sciatic and buttock pain while seated. for more info: http://trisportstraining.blogspot.com/2007/03/high-hamstring-tendonopathy.html

good luck.

• graciemax Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 6, 2008
    6. Jun 6, 2008 7:15 PM (in response to lpiotti)

I had the same thing...a sharp deep pain at point where my hamstring meets just underneath the right butt-cheek.  It would start to hurt after running 3.0 - 3.5 miles.  I tried stretching and ice but the pain never really went away. Through the orders of a sports medicine doctor, I had an MRI and found that I had partially torn my hamstring tendon from the sit-bone (it hurt to the point that if I had been sitting for an long period of time, my entire right leg would tingle and feel numb).  Running was out (temporarily) - I went through fairly intense physical therapy for about 2 months.  This helped in more ways than one; I eventually gained all-around core and leg strenght and was running again -smarter and with better form.  If the pain you are experiencing doesn't go away, don't ignore it - see a doctor if you haven't already.  My doctor said I was lucky - a complete tear would have required surgery.  I lived with it for 1.5 years before I finally had it checked; I thought it was a pulled muscle - I wish I had not waited so long; I never gave the tendon a chance to heal.  I hope this is not your case; good luck and hope you heal soon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...