Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4699 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2008 6:43 AM by Tee7
PnutLUv Rookie 5 posts since
Dec 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 31, 2008 9:22 AM

Little encouragement needed on lack of speed

First, let me start by sharing my victorious start to the weeked.....I went out this morning and completed week 5, day 3 of the C25K program, and made it through the 20min!! I am elated!

But I need a few words of encouragement because I am SO. SLOW. I covered about 1.2miles during that 20min "run".  I keep telling myself to just get to the point where I can do the 30min, THEN work on speed. But I feel like a dork running so slow. It just  seems a perfect pace for me....I don't start to struggle til the very end, and when I'm done, I feel good, not like I"m a fish out of water gasping for air. But then I think maybe I'm not pushing hard enough??

I am signed up for a 2mile race on June 14th. My goal is to be able to get through without walking, but I'm having my doubts now. I won't beat myself up if I need to walk a bit, but I'll be a little disappointed.

Any tips? Should I just keep plugging away, or should I start trying to build a little speed in the next 2 weeks? I do most of my runs outdoors at the slightly hilly path where the race will be held, and when I can't get out, I have a treadmill.

Thanks!

• butterflykisses68 Amateur 16 posts since
    May 28, 2008
    1. May 31, 2008 11:42 AM (in response to PnutLUv)
    Re: Little encouragement needed on lack of speed
    I'm going to be running my first 5K the day after you do yours.  I'm not terribly fast either, but I will tell you what others have told me.  First work on running for distance, then worry about running for time.  As long as you finish the race within a respectable amount of time, you've done good.  Just make sure that when you run, you don't start out so fast you end up getting so winded that you need to stop so soon after starting to walk.  As long as you keep a steady, even pace, don't worry about speed until later when you've had a chance to train more.  Also, don't beat yourself up if you have to walk a little during the race.  Many people do when they first start out.  Good luck!  
    Robin

• Jojo_tkc Pro 73 posts since
    Apr 15, 2008
    2. Jun 1, 2008 7:39 PM (in response to PnutLUv)

Speed definately comes with time, the more time you spend running the more speed you will gain.  It don't sound right but it is correct the more you do it the better you will feel during and after running and you will get more comfortable going a little faster now and then until you get to a really good comfortable pace.  That's when you will see your speed increasing.

• teri dacto Pro 177 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    3. Jun 2, 2008 7:13 PM (in response to PnutLUv)

Hey Pnut,

Just wanted to tell you to keep it up, you'll get there eventually.  I would focus on the distance, just as others have said and then work on your time.  You have to tell yourself that at least you are out there and there's a lot to be said for that.  I'm a slowbee as well but have found that when I first started on the treadmill I was lucky to be able to do a mile and a half....I then started running for half a mile and then walking half  mile....I now can pretty easily do 5k...it takes me about 35 minutes.  Sooo when you think about it, it's a little under a 12 minute mile.  Once you are able to do your two miles pretty comfortably then work on your speed....I started at 3.8 and now I start at 5.0 and finish at 5.6-5.7.  It takes time is what I am saying and it doesn't happen overnight.  Some of it can be a psychological thing as well...I know I can go faster but I keep telling myself I'll get too tired and not be able to finish. 

Don't worry about it even if you have to walk some for your first race...you'll soon be able to look back upon the experience and amaze yourself with how much you've improved.  Good luck!

teri

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jun 4, 2008 9:23 AM (in response to PnutLUv)

Don't worry about your speed at this time.  Continue to focus on building your endurance and overall fitness.  The speed will come later; it's really the fine tuning aspect of running.  Right now you want to continuing progressing through your program's training schedule.  Stick with it because it sounds like it's working.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

• jenniferbaker Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jun 4, 2008 3:20 PM (in response to PnutLUv)

I use the same training rules that most professionals suggest:

Increase only one thing at a time - speed, distance (or time, if you do yours by time), or intensity (hills, etc)

Keep plugging on at the speed YOUR body is comfortable with until you can run 2 miles (or whatever) while carrying on a light conversation. If you need to walk, walk. Nothing says you can't walk in an event. And the most important thing to remember is never judge yourself on what other people are doing. You know what you can do, and once you've crossed the finish line, whether running, walking or crawling, you have crossed the finish line, and that's all that matters.

Cheers,

Jenn

• Steelers21 Legend 592 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    6. Jun 4, 2008 3:52 PM (in response to PnutLUv)

PnutLUv wrote:

But I need a few words of encouragement because I am SO. SLOW. I covered about 1.2miles during that 20min "run". I keep telling myself to just get to the point where I can do the 30min, THEN work on speed. But I feel like a dork running so slow.

Speed is FINALLY starting to develop for me.  I have improved my speed by improving my fitness and endurance.  I can run a long distance, as much as 6 miles without walking, but my pace is pretty pedestrian.

I found that increasing my overall fitness by going a long way, without worrying about speed, was the key to developing speed.  As your fitness increases, your heart rate goes down with the same amount of work.  When that happens, you can run faster and your heart rate is still within acceptable range.

As you continue running, you will start to work on tricks to increase speed - going 70% pace for most of the run, but interspersing 90% effort on occasion.  That is down the road.  Right now, you are on the "right track" since you are running and can go 20 minutes straight.  When that 20 becomes 30, then 40, you can run harder and faster. 

This could take a little time, but is any worthwhile journey easy??  Remember, if it was easy, everybody would do it.

• sunny423 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 6, 2008
    7. Jun 4, 2008 7:02 PM (in response to PnutLUv)

when I first started running I was slow too- the guy that got me back in to running reminded me to run so I could hold a conversation, if I was breathing too hard I was going too fast. He was right- i went on to complete three half-marathons last year, and I just completed my first marathon this year. I ran it in 5 hours eight minutes. I know that I can do anything now, better yet now I can improve on my speed because I have a solid base. Like everyone has said before me, go slow, build your distance then work on speed- I promise it is worth it! You are doing awesome just by making yourself go!

• Stoph Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 28, 2008
    8. Jun 4, 2008 7:16 PM (in response to PnutLUv)

I have been running for 5 months and just ran my first race ever, a 10K.  I am no expert, but I ran it at a respectable 8:49 pace.  My suggestions:

1. Don't worry about speed or distance at this point in your training.  Only worry about how much time you are spending at a comfortable pace.  2. Try working on a treadmill to "control" your speed.  Do not overexert yourself.  3. Use a heart monitor.  Let your heart tell you when enough is enough.  No more than 80% if you are in good cardio shape.  4. As my running mentor tells me often, "Hills are speed work in disguise."  They certainly are...

Good luck.

• FIVEK Amateur 40 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008
    9. Jun 4, 2008 10:30 PM (in response to Stoph)

An 8:49 in your first run, a 10K is phenomenal! Your first?!?!?! How long had you trained for that?

• Stoph Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 28, 2008
    10. Jun 4, 2008 11:40 PM (in response to FIVEK)

Ok, for the sake of all here, live and learn...

I was COMPLETELY out of shape as of last August.  I was still smoking, hadn't exercised since 1988, etc... I joined a gym.  Then, after 6 months of elliptical and weights, I got bored, and I decided to be a runner in February this year.  This was also a competitive issue with an ex.

I ran hard and I injured myself.  No real mobility for weeks. I saw an orthopedic (because I had a snow skiing trip coming!) and he said I just rattled things up. I resumed my attempts at running in the beginning of March.

I QUIT smoking on April 18th. (Chantix is magic!)

Since the "injury," I have been methodical, I have gotten up to 5-6 runs a week, about 20-25 miles per week (using the 10% increase per week guideline.)  My longest run, pre race, had been 8 miles (in 1:18:30).  When I decided to run the first race, it was just to get the "first race" out of the way. No biggie, just a long Saturday run.

Apparently, you should ever discount the power of adrenaline.  8:49 a mile was the best time I have ever had on any run of substance, and I went out WAY too fast.

13kandcounting.blogspot.com recounts my journey.  thenegativesplit.blogspot.com recounts my initial inspiration (and is a FANTASTIC read)...

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,432 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    11. Jun 5, 2008 7:14 PM (in response to PnutLUv)

Pnut, don't worry about speed.  Just get out there and run.  You're only 5 or 6 weeks into this thing.  I ran for 3 years before my first race.  Over time you will get comfortable with doing the distance.  And you will, almost magically, find that you've gotten faster.

Len

• Tee7 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    12. Jun 7, 2008 6:43 AM (in response to PnutLUv)

When I moved into a new neighborhood, one of my neighbors wanted to start running with me. I said sure. The frist day came and I thought "boy is she slow!" She was running to go the distance and not the pace. I had been running for a few years but I was very patient with her. After she had worked up to 3 miles we decied to sign up for a 5k race. It would be her first. She finished in 28:49! She had done great. But that wasn't the kicker. While running with her at a conversation pace, my time had improved 2 minutes over my previous best! Running slower had actually paid off for her as well as for me. I think she might have even walked a couple of times during the run. I'm confident you will do well!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...