Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7630 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2008 10:26 PM by FIVEK RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • NCJen Rookie 3 posts since
    May 29, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 3, 2008 8:23 AM (in response to Nicole510)
    Re: Treadmills vs outdoors

Well, it is getting hot and humid and I knew it would make a difference. I went after a thunderstorm the heat was steaming up off the cornfields, it was the underwater feeling I felt like lead.  So, I see if I want to be a road runner, I better get out there and get aclimated.  I think I'll shoot for at leat 50/50, probably keep some of the longer distance insdide.  The trails sound good, the sun bakes here, shade is helpful.  I might have to go for a swim before I run to stave off the heat for a few minutes.  It will be nice to escape in the morning before the kids wake up!  Thanks for the advice.

• jenniferbaker Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    16. Jun 4, 2008 3:30 PM (in response to Nicole510)

My opinion is that running on a treadmill is at least getting off the old rump and running, and sometimes outdoors conditions make it difficult to run outside all of the time.  If you are training for something specific, like a 5K, you'll need to do most of your training outdoors so that you are ready for race day. If you are doing it for health, or to build up stamina, either is fine.  I took some time off of running due to an injury, and so I am starting back on the treadmill until I am back up to running for a certain amount of time, then I will move many of my runs outdoors so that I can build up my strength for an event.

Either way, anything you do for you is right for you, if that makes any sense I used to focus on the "right" or "best" way to train, and I got so frustrated because my body didn't necessarily feel ready for what I was doing.  Do whatever you are capable of and feel best doing at the time. I love morning runs outdoors when it is still peaceful out, but I also love my mid-afternoon runs on the treadmill so I don't have to worry about where is safe to run at that time. 

• FIVEK Amateur 40 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008
    17. Jun 4, 2008 10:26 PM (in response to JillyBeans233)

I do both. I run on my treadmill for exercise and run the streets in 5K and 8K races. It's a toss up on some levels because I do tend to run a 10:ish minute mile on either the mill or the streets - To say, there isn't much difference for me. I can admit that running on pavement and ESPECIALLY a trail run that I mistakenly signed up for ... is harder on my legs but that's a nobrainer. I'm more 'comfortable' at home on the treadmill but there there is is plenty of opportunity to stop for a moment or two or take a potty break than obviously outdoors. I vote for outdoors but it's still nice to have a treadmill available on a rainy, or snow day. Although I'm in Los Angeles. :pStill my times need improvement and improvement would have to come from outdoor running due the as stated opportunity to take breaks while on a treadmill. Outdoors ... as long as you get to your halfway point, you HAVE to come home. Not runnig outdoors is my shortfall.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...