Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

24257 Views 128 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2008 11:20 AM by Whitewater49 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next
  • RunningStealth Amateur 13 posts since
    May 22, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Jun 4, 2008 5:56 PM (in response to irungrl)
    Re: What event are you training for?

Right now I'm training for a 5K in July and another in Sept. I'm trying to get ready for the harbor half marathon in Corpus Christi, Tx. Of course I'll be doing the relay not the whole marathon on my own. I just recently started training 3 months ago for the Beach 2 Bay which happened May 17, 2008 Armed Forces Day. What keeps me motivated to get out there is my grandmother whom fought cancer for 15 yrs. She never let herself get beat during her treatments. She passed on almost 2 yrs. ago this July it will be 2 yrs. I picture her while I'm running and say to myself be strong like her and enjoy each day

• Matt E Gibson Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 5, 2008
    121. Jun 5, 2008 7:39 PM (in response to irungrl)

I'm registered for the Chicago Marathon in October and the Disney Marathon in October.  I was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding trails/paths around Orlando (I live just east of downtown).  I usually run the Econ Greenway trail off of 50, but that's going to be too short for the 20 mile+ runs.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    122. Jun 6, 2008 6:45 AM (in response to Matt E Gibson)

Major races in the next 8 months include the Philadelphia Distance Run (Sept. 21), the Marine Corps Marathon (Oct. 26), the Philadelphia Marathon (Nov. 23, I'm running with a friend, who hopefully won't push the pace) and the DisneyWorld Marathon (Jan. 11).  I think I'm crazy.

Len

• MFlorencia Rookie 7 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    123. Jun 8, 2008 5:20 PM (in response to irungrl)

Hi!

I will start training tomorrow morning to do the 5K at Salt Lake City, Utah, HeartWalk by the American Heart Association.  My school is organizing a team, and I'm thinking about joining them, since that's where I got the idea from.  Although it IS kind of embarrasing to try to run in front of all those people who will see me at school, especially since it's been more than 7 years since I last ran.  Now that I wrote it here, I hope I really do try.  I'll be accountable for it now... =)

In what would motivate me...I think that would be losing weight, feeling better about myself, motivating my mom to walk (she's got heart problems and that would be very beneficial for her), and a whole list of other things I wrote down.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    124. Jun 9, 2008 10:38 AM (in response to MFlorencia)

MFlorencia, good for you for getting out there and taking care of yourself and your health and fitness.  You should never be embarrased for trying to better yourself.  And good luck with your mother.  I hope for both of you that you succeed.  Parents are hard to train.

Len

Len

• Slow Feet Expert 44 posts since
    Dec 2, 2007
    125. Jun 9, 2008 5:22 PM (in response to irungrl)

Finally running my first half marathon (NYC in July), then return to MCM in October, and maybe Harrisburg Marathon in November.  I plan on giving back by volunteering at local 5Ks.

• Eco13 Expert 56 posts since
    Feb 18, 2008
    126. Jun 9, 2008 8:56 PM (in response to irungrl)

Last week I started an 8-wk training program for my first 10K.  A couple of days after the training ends, I'll be participating in Santa Cruz's Wharf to Wharf (which is apparently just under 10K).  I've run a 5K race before (and I've run 3 - 4 miles at a time on my own) but this will definitely be my longest run to date.  My motivation at this point seems to be simple curiosity - I'm not sure that I'll be able to run that far, and I'm curious how far I'll get.  I felt the same way before my 5K, too, and I ended up running the whole thing.  Of course, I use the term "run" very loosely, as my running probably more closely resembles lumbering...

• MFlorencia Rookie 7 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    127. Jun 10, 2008 12:55 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Haha!  They sure are.  Thanks for your encouragement, Len!  I actually did a 1.5 mile walk on May 31st.  It was the Strut Your Mutt to raise funds for homeless pets.  I was really tired afterwards because the park it was held in was really hilly, and I pushed my sister in her wheelchair a third of the way, but the kind of tired that is almost offset by how good you feel because you did something.  And right now, as I wait for my sister to finish copying the Pre-Calc notes I'll walk on the treadmill at least 5 minutes.  Have a great week being active!

And I applaud you for all those things you'll be involved in in a few months!

• Whitewater49 Amateur 27 posts since
    Apr 28, 2008
    128. Jun 22, 2008 11:20 AM (in response to dalekeener)

Squaw Valley Mountain Run Aug 2. Ran my first 5K yesterday (24:20) The elevation and incline is going to be challenging at Squaw as my lung capacity is weak to begin with. Nothing left to do but train, train, train.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...