Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2087 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2008 11:22 AM by gabbyandavasmom RSS
amyroff Rookie 3 posts since
May 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 4, 2008 6:55 PM

Numbness in feet

Somewhere between 2 and 2.5 miles I start to get a tingling and numbness in my feet.   As soon as I end my run it goes away, but while I am still running, I'm almost afraid I will fall.  Has anyone else experienced this?

• nhmommy Rookie 190 posts since
    Oct 7, 2007
    1. Jun 4, 2008 7:08 PM (in response to amyroff)
    Re: Numbness in feet

How old are your running shoes and what kind do you wear?  Also, are you wearing thick socks?

• rejuvenate Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 3, 2008
    4. Jun 4, 2008 10:07 PM (in response to amyroff)

Hey! Guess what?  There is an article about this in (I think I'm right) the latest issue of Running Times magazine, I just read it last week !  With interest, because I also will ocassionally get the numbness, but usually only on one side - in the toes - ocassionally - It is worrisome when it happens but, I started running in 2000 by training for a marathon, did the marathon and the 1/2 marathon for six consecutive years afterwards with continual - low mileage, weekly running ever since 2000.  The numbness is not continual so I don't let myself be overly concerned and am still totally un-concerned after reading the article which makes some suggestions of some potential minor to major foot conditions - I just read it and forgot it, or chalked it up to another "one of those things" that I will not pursue unless it becomes debilitating - just glad to know that I'm not the only one to have this 'numbness' experience - this is meant to encourage you and dis-courage your fears - as is how I now feel!  Keep running - and always be aware of your form - and make sure you get the rest and recovery your body needs!  we are all a little different!  Proper foot wear/foot support is important, but not mentioned in the article - and not a contributor to my problem, as it is not a consistent thing that happens...

• Epona Rookie 40 posts since
    Apr 24, 2008
    5. Jun 5, 2008 12:59 AM (in response to amyroff)

The same sort of thing keeps happening to me - I wonder if these are of any use to you

http://runningdoctor.runnersworld.com/2008/03/i-have-pain-on.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

I rethreaded the top of my shoes and it helped once or twice but I still keep doing them too tightly. I'm sure that's what it is though, it goes away once I take my shoes off. I had very bad sciatica last year and my toes were numb for weeks - but that felt different, the numbness was at the side and not sort of generalised, so I'm sure it's more to do with my feet and not my back.

• Epona Rookie 40 posts since
    Apr 24, 2008
    6. Jun 5, 2008 12:56 PM (in response to Epona)

Having said that, I went for my run this evening and although I deliberately barely laced my trainers at all, my left foot was the deadest it's been by the end.. it felt weird up to my ankle and I had to take my shoes off to walk home.

So if anyone's got any better tips / advice I'm all ears too.

• jenniferbaker Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jun 5, 2008 3:32 PM (in response to amyroff)

Actually since I have begun running, I find that I get numb in my hands, feet and arms when I am not running.  Anyone have a clue what this phenomenon could be attributed to?  I was always really sedentary until I started the C25K program, but I never felt numb.  In fact, sitting here right now, my feet are tingling.

• caramelkisses Rookie 18 posts since
    Jul 3, 2006
    8. Jun 25, 2008 11:08 AM (in response to jenniferbaker)

I too had this severely, though it hit me around the 3 or 4 mile mark.

Upon research, I discovered it was caused by two things:

1) your shoes might be tied too tightly. A myth when you start running is you need your laces done up severely. This doesn't allow blood to circulate.

2) your muscles were not warmed up enough before you started running. My numbness occurred in the winter, so I started wearing joggers to my destination before I stripped down, I also took hot showers and stretched well before running.

I no longer get this phenomenon often, when I do, it happens much later (5 miles) and then I work through it.

Good luck, do let me know if it works for you, I am curious.

CK.

• gabbyandavasmom Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    9. Jun 26, 2008 1:48 PM (in response to Epona)

My right toes used to get numb, until I put a gel pad in my shoe.  It has completely fixed the problem.  I know that it is not my sneakers bc it has happened with a couple of pairs.  I hope this helps!

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Jun 26, 2008 7:34 PM (in response to gabbyandavasmom)

When I started being active last year, I was having problems with numbness and tingling, particularly in the outside-front of my foot (near my little toes). It turned out that I was wearing the wrong size shoes. The sizing was correct (10.5), but the width was wrong. I'm now in a 10.5EE and I have no numbness problems at all.

Did you get fitted at a proper running store for your shoes? It's well worth it to have experienced runners who know how to analyze your feet and stride work with you to select your shoes. They're the single most important piece of running gear you'll purchase, so it's best to do it right.

Good luck!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• iknowican55 Rookie 24 posts since
    Jun 9, 2008
    11. Jul 4, 2008 10:35 AM (in response to dwm082)

I had been having the same problem, until this morning.  I decided to lace my shoes differently.  I started at the bottom in the regular way..made one crisscross then laced each side independently going up the next two holes (not crossing over my foot) then I crisscrossed the top holes and tied so that my heel was stable.  I had only VERY minor numbness in one foot for the whole time.  It was such an improvement.  I hope it keeps working.

• gabbyandavasmom Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    12. Jul 4, 2008 11:22 AM (in response to dwm082)

The ball of my right foot up into the toes used to get numb.  But yes, I got fitted at a reputable running store.  I haven't had the problem until today (what a pain!).  And the only thing I can figure is that since I haven't been able to run my normal amt. of miles (between 20-23 per week) due to a sprained ankle and the flu, my body, including my foot, are out of whack.  Both the ankle and the flu all happened these past three weeks and I have been pretty stressed out about it.  Oh well, my running will improve again (training for a 1/2 marathon).

Thanks for the suggestion! I agree, shoes are the most important thing!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...