Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

78292 Views 521 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2008 2:44 PM by dave48326 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 35 Previous Next
  • Steelers21 Legend 592 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    345. Jun 4, 2008 11:38 AM (in response to rebecca58103)
    Re: New folks

rebecca58103 wrote:

Daydreams76, I suffered from shinsplints when I started running, as did my husband. The only thing that really helped us get past it is toe raises. Stand with just your toes on a step and lift up to your tip toes, then lower down so your heals are below the step, repeat each leg separately as many as you can do and try to do it every day.

Increasing the strength of the calf is a good way to fight shin splints.  The toe raises do exactly that.  Additionally, gyms have machines for calf raises.  Finally, ice - lots of ice - after every run.  Immerse your legs in a small garbage can filled with ice and water.  Keep them in the ice water for 10 minutes.  It pays dividends.

• stargal Expert 52 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    346. Jun 4, 2008 3:37 PM (in response to Vicki S.)
    Re: New folks.

Hello everyone, well I couldn't stand not doing anything so I got on the treadmill last night for a walk. Once I started I couldn't stop and did a speed walk for one hour. It felt good though finally moving my body. Went to the chiropractor again today. Today was the first day my neck's felt great, but he says to still hold off on running. At least I can walk.

Rebecca I have a pool, but its not big enough to do laps. Thats a good idea though, I may check into the local recreation center and see if I can join for some laps.  I also can't run in this heat. I'm on the treadmill until it starts cooling off.  The last time I ran outside I ran on the trail behind the local fire dept. After a few minutes in the heat I thought I was gonna pass out. All I kept saying was thank god the paramedics are close, LOLLLLL  So from that day on I'm inside on the treadmill.

Vicki, YOU GO GIRL!!!! You already do the running and the biking so whats it to add swimming.  I think that would be a great idea for you.  If ya ever come down here for a tirathalon let me know I'll be there cheering ya on!  They have alot of them here so the competitors can swim in the gulf.  I know if you put your mind to it you will achieve it!  I'm so proud of you for what you've accomplished.

HAPPY RUNNING EVERYONE! 

Jan 24, 2008

Hello John the penquin,,,Thanks so much for your input. I just recently subscribed to  the Runner's World magazine.  The articles I've read on the internet are great. I also purchased from Runner's World website the book Complete Book of Running. I've found it great reading and it has helped me with my running.  I can't wait until I get my first magazine in the mail.

Daydreams I hope your ankle and shin splints feel better soon.  When your able to continue running it will be no time before you're running miles instead of minutes. Good luck with the C25K plan. I'm finding it to be a great way to improve my running.  I started out barely making it through 3 minutes, but the last time I ran I did the three 5 minute runs with great ease. Keep it up and it'll only get better.

• Mandy_C Expert 54 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    348. Jun 5, 2008 7:14 PM (in response to Vicki S.)

Good luck on the swimming Vicki, I know you can do it.  I am hoping to wake up and either do the first day of the C25K again or do a yoga video it all depends on if it is still raining and how humid it is outside. I am also joining an adult basketball group at my church that meets every Tuesday night for some exercise. I have been getting a little more sleep, I went to get my back worked on. Well I was at the mall and they had a couple chinese guys that give massages so I paid for a 20 minute one and it took both of the guys to try to loosen my back a little, they both said they have never felt a back so tense before. I have always had back problems, if my brother in law works on it (which he has twice) he just pops it, but my back needs the deep tissue massage. Maybe I will find a place that is affordable and start getting weekly massages as a treat to myself. I am also planning on going camping this summer  by myself so I can just get away from everyone and everything and enjoy the nature. Stargal I hope your problems are getting better I am praying for you. Well thats my quick update I am going to try to get to bed early tonight.

• Oscar's MumMum Amateur 36 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008
    349. Jun 6, 2008 12:52 PM (in response to MammaBird)

Hi All!  I'm still here.  I'm getting frustruated though.  I was steadily moving through the C25K until my hamstring injury.  Now I've back slid so far.  I'm back to the beginning of week 5 and struggling.  I did sign up for another 5K for the 29th to keep me motivated, but at this point I think I'll be doing some walking again.  I really want to run one the whole way through.  I don't care about my time so much, so the running can be slow.  I just want to do it.

Jan 24, 2008
    350. Jun 6, 2008 1:16 PM (in response to Mandy_C)

Mandy thanks so much for the prayers they musta worked! I got up this morning and my neck felt great!!  I thought I'd try a run but knew I couldn't start where I left off so I started on week 4 of the C25K.  I was able to finish it although the last 5 min run was rough.  Thanks so much for your thoughts. I hope you're back feels better too. I'll pray for you.

Oscar's MumMum. sorry to hear about your hamstring. I'm glad your injury hasn't turned you against running. You will do great in your next race, just be careful and stretch alot.  I'll keep you in my prayers also.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! Happy Running!

• Crystal1219 Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    351. Jun 9, 2008 7:10 AM (in response to stargal)

Hey guys! Im fairly new to running/jogging. I started about January and ran my first 5k on March 1st. Since then I have done 3 more and have one this coming saturday. Ive been regularly jogging about 3-4 days a week and working out at the gym for 2 days a week. Im in that love/hate relationship. I dont love it so much while doing it but LOVE it afterwards! Vicky you never said where you were moving to in Tennessee. That's where Im from. There is a triathalon in August I think would be fun but am afraid I dont have enough time to train for it and dont want to look stupid out there with absolutely NO experience! LOL!

• Vicki S. Legend 262 posts since
    Aug 31, 2007
    352. Jun 9, 2008 11:07 PM (in response to Crystal1219)

Crystal. 

It is the Tri - City area.    Yes you do have enough time to train.   Is it a full, half, or sprint.   If it is a mini one then you will have plenty of time.  Work your way into don't go for the full ones just yet.

If I get more of my training routine  down I might look into that one.  When and where is it?   And where are you at?

Well even though the temps are really that high yet here I am having to get up and finish my run around 9 am or 9:30 am.   For those of you iun the midwest with all of those storms my thoughts and prayers are with you.  I used to live in Tornado Alley.   Good luck on your running and stay safe.

Now tha t School is out I will be running with my youngest son more.  He needed a little encouragement tonight.  He wasn't sure he wanted to go with me before I went to work.  So I had him set out his running clothes tonight and set his alarm.  That seemed to help, plus a little encouragement along the way.

How is everyone else doing.  Keep on Running. Mandy are you getting the rest you need?  Stargal are you back to running? 

Catch Everyone later.

Vicki

Mar 20, 2008
    353. Jun 11, 2008 10:16 AM (in response to Vicki S.)

Im in the Chattanooga area. The triathalon is a .25 swim, 8.2 or 9 mile bike ride (cant remember) and then just a 2 mile run. It really isnt bad at all. It starts at the Chickamauga dam in chattanooga and then you ride to downtown and then run across the river and back.

• Vicki S. Legend 262 posts since
    Aug 31, 2007
    354. Jun 11, 2008 10:20 PM (in response to Crystal1219)

Crystal you should have no problems with that.  I haven't been swimming again.   I think I will check into the rec center and see how much it is. should be cheapera than the gym.

Well I am signing up for my next 5k   only this time I have a running partner my 12 your son will be joining me.  HE is doing well with his training.  His birthday is june 21st and wants a cake with  a triathlon scene on it .      Tomorrow will be his last day at th e2 min run only he does not know that. Next week his tim will increase.

How is everyone else doing?   Stargal how is your neck?  Seth how is your leg?  Mandy are you getting the rest you need?    Ashley I know you are busy but how are you doing.

Later Vicki

• ToriTori Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 12, 2008
    355. Jun 12, 2008 7:55 AM (in response to MammaBird)

Hi All!  It's my first post here! Woo Hoo!

I am a brand spankin' new runner, and am doing the couch to 5k.

So far, this is what I know; I run at a turtles pace and I much prefer the treadmill to the pavement any day.  But there's no 5k on a treadmill, is there? LOL.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the community!  Thanks for having me!!

Tori

Apr 17, 2008
    356. Jun 12, 2008 10:51 AM (in response to ToriTori)

Tori, you are too funny!  I looked for that 5K treadmill race too.  Never did find one and ran (or crawled LOL) my first outdoor 5K the beginning of the month.  I must say that since I started outside, I have only been on the treadmill once and hated it.  Go a week or two outside and you'll never want to go back in.  I'm doing the C25K also.  OK, I've been doing some version of the C25K anyway.  I seem to like week 5 b/c I keep ending up there.  Glad to meet you.  - Denise

• ToriTori Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 12, 2008
    357. Jun 12, 2008 12:48 PM (in response to Oscar's MumMum)

Hi Denise! And Hello to all of the new people joining us on the search for a 5K treadmill only race.

I believe it that after a month I'll hate the thing. I like by a beach and try and get out there as much as I can. The weather has made it really hard to do it as much as I would like to. I'm not runner enough to brave mother nature yet! But soon! Just wait until October!

Back to my nap! J/K :P

Tori

Mar 20, 2008
    358. Jun 12, 2008 1:00 PM (in response to ToriTori)

Yes once you run outside you will never want to touch a treadmill again. Unfortunately with the heat you have to get up early to run or run late at night! You will also find that the treadmill is a lot easier than outdoor running. Don't stress, you will get used to it!  ok, what is the C25k?

Apr 17, 2008
    359. Jun 12, 2008 1:29 PM (in response to Crystal1219)

C25K is the "Couch to 5K" beginner runner program on coolrunning.  http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 35 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...