Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1604 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2008 11:39 AM by jenniferbaker
dgavenda Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 15, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 20, 2008 11:55 AM

High Heart Rate

My sister and friend state they can't keep their heart rate under 155 bpm. Both have polar hr watches.  My sis does 6 mins running then walks 1 minute and repeat.  If she walks, her hr is ~130.  Personally that's about where my hr is when I run. 

I did a cple halfs and a full and personally, I think that is extremely high but I still consider myself somewhat of a novice.  So any advice would be helpful.

Thx,

Dan

• Mark W Rice Pro 118 posts since
    May 21, 2008
    1. May 24, 2008 9:00 PM (in response to dgavenda)
    Re: High Heart Rate

Dan, ones heart rate varies greatly from person to person... I've been running for years and I did a 3:29:54 marathon this year. My resting pulse is at about 50 (sometimes below), yet when I'm running, my heart rate is frequently at 155 bpm.  It has been shown that heart rate does not predict running performance with any reliability (see the book "Advanced Marathoning" for more).  While ones heart rate will tend to lower with more fitness exercise, it is not to a set number... it's lower than it was before one began more fitness exercis.

Mark

• willamona Rookie 387 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. May 25, 2008 8:50 PM (in response to dgavenda)

I train at a HR of around 140-150; at the start of my run I am usually at about 120 and it can take 3-4 miles for me to hit my 140 HR.  If someone says that cannot run at a HR less than 155, to me that means that they do not want to run below that heartrate.  The run/walk method described shows that they are running to fast for their fitness level.  155 is a great HR to train at if you are 25.  It is not such a great training HR if you are 45.  Fitness, is not detremine by heart rate, but rather by a speed at a given heart rate or effort.  Most beginning runners have a hard time running by effort, hence the need for the HRM.  Now, it is true that Max HR can vary from person to person.  The problem is that LT does not vary so much and it is too low in the untrained runner to allow them to train at a fast pace.  The biggest mistake beginners make is to run too fast.  The Galloway run/walk program is one of the excuses used to run faster in training.  If you ever start running marathons you will find that most of the Gallowalkers bonk after about mile 20 or so because they are undertrained for the event.  You see, they ran too fast in training and did not develop their aerobic capacity to the level needed for the marathon.  The lack of training can end up in injury also, but usually they just feel awful at the finish line.  Just remind everyone about the talk test and that interval training, even if it is Gallowwalking, is not recommended for beginners.  The chioce ultimatly is theirs to make.  If they don't want to use the HRM for its intended purpose, they should leave it at home.

I would say that for the most part, these HRs are high, unless the people in question are teenagers or they are just fitness runner doing only 15 or so miles a week.  If these people are training for a marathon, they have a rude awakening up ahead of them and there is not a thing anyone can do to stop it from happening.  

• Cara_26.2 Pro 711 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jun 6, 2008 4:43 AM (in response to willamona)

I find this a very interesting subject and would love to hear more views. I have been running a little over a year and completed my first half marathon in March. I run around 30 miles a week, and recently purchased a Garmin with heart rate monitor. What I found from this is as below:

My Resting heart race (sitting on the coach of doom) is about 55 - 60

Easy running for me is about 135 and this does not feel like any effort - towards the end of a run if i've done a long distance it can hit the low to mid 150's - sometimes higher, but with the talk test I could still carry out a full conversation with ease.

Tempos and intervals take me into the 160 range, and I frequently get to 170+ with hills / tough speed workouts. I would personally still pass the talk test up to the high 160's... once I get into 170's I'm really working hard and usually back off with the speed.

I've no idea how this compares or what my max hear rate it, but I do think it proves that we are all different. There is no way I could run at a 120 heart rate - I would pretty much just be walking... to me, 135 is no effort so there's not much point me backing off further. I have started training more carefully recently as before I got my new toy I was running too quick on my easy runs (150's was an easy run then) and this has really improved my endurance and ability to train harder.

PR's

18/04/2010 Brighton Marathon: 4:23:45

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

• jenniferbaker Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jun 7, 2008 11:37 AM (in response to Cara_26.2)

Wow, you are all so healthy!  When I briskly walk, my heart rate is about 135 bpm, and when I am done with a 20 minute run, I am at around 160.  I am 29 years old and slightly overweight - am I overdoing it?  I do not feel like I am pushing myself too hard even when my heart rate is at 160, I can still hold a decent conversation, and I don't feel dizzy or anything.  Please let me know if I need to keep it under a certain number for bpm, I don't want to kill myself.

• jenniferbaker Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jun 7, 2008 11:39 AM (in response to jenniferbaker)

By the way, my resting heart rate is 85 bpm.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...