Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4705 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2009 6:28 PM by GeofBaum RSS
effzee Amateur 79 posts since
May 13, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 2, 2008 5:21 AM

trail shoes, might buy mailorder for first time

Hi,

I need some shoes for offroad running. I'm not an "Ultra" guy, but I do all my running on fields and through forests. I need some new shoes but don't really have much to choose from at stores here, so I'm thinking of going mail order and would really like it to work out on the first attempt, which is why I'm asking here.

Till now my only offroad shoe has been my Nike Jagged Ice, and they've served me well, but they're a winter shoe and too warm for the hot summers here.  What I want is something for normal feet, stone protection, good tread, breathable, neutral, minimalist features but robust.. Doesnt have to be super lightweight. Salomon seem like they'd be good, but there are so many other brands out there... I'd appreciate any reports, opinions,

Thank you all,

WG

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 4, 2008 8:44 AM (in response to effzee)
    Re: trail shoes, might buy mailorder for first time

I love the Brooks Cascadia line: http://www.brooksrunning.com/prod.php?p=41232&k=82296

They feel great, are light and breathable, provide good traction and stability.  It's what I wear when I use a trail shoe.

Happy running!

Jay

Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jun 9, 2008 11:53 AM (in response to effzee)
    effzee wrote:

I've had Brooks shoes before and they seem to run a little small, have to order a half size bigger than normal. Is that true for the Cascadia, too?

While I haven't noticed that the sizing is small, I will say that I wear the same size in my Cascadias as I do in my other Brooks (I also wear Adrenalines and Racers).  If you have worn Brooks in the past then I would go with the same size if they fit well.

Good luck and happy (trail) running!

Jay

• CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    4. Jun 24, 2008 11:10 AM (in response to effzee)

WG - I use the Salomon XC Comp 2.  Great shoe that should work for you.  NIKE makes terrible shoes in my experience and I have tried a great many. 

On the mail order - find what works for your foot and your running mechanics.  Then buy them on line.  I use Zappos.com and have been very happy.  I never go into a running shoe store as the sale people know nothing of running or of shoes and are there to just sale you something.  they have no passion and do not understand a med arch support from no arch support, and have no idea what the toe box is.  I have about four types that work for me, and run in those.  I save lots of money and time by buying on line.  Lastly, I am a naval officer and run all over the planet.  Zappos will ship internationally.  Have received shoes in Hong Kong, India, Bahrain, Philippines, Guam, and Korea.

Spencer.

Jul 9, 2007
    LCDR Spencer Moseley wrote:

I never go into a running shoe store as the sale people know nothing of running or of shoes and are there to just sale you something.  they have no passion and do not understand a med arch support from no arch support, and have no idea what the toe box is.

I have found the opposite to be true if you go to an actual running shoe store.  These small specialty businesses are almost always owned by runners and the majority of the employees are also runners.  They will usually put you on a treadmill and video tape your gait to find a shoe that not only matches your foot shape, but also your running style.  If, however, you go to a generic sports shoe store (Foot Locker, Athletes Foot, Sports Authority, etc.) you're probably going to get poor service.

• whitefirelight Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 15, 2008
    7. Oct 6, 2008 10:32 AM (in response to effzee)

I've had different trail runners over the years, in most cases they aren't too different from a regular running shoe with the exception that they usually have a slightly more durable outer material, and some of them offer more "ankle protection". While I still use trail runners from time to time, (currently: Nike Air Max Assail 5's because they are on sale at nike.com) I'm just as happy running trails in regular running shoes, or my new vibramfivefingers, (really cool but take some getting used to. Awesome for fields and dirt, grass, sand, etc. - a little ouchy if there are lots of jagged rocks or pointy root systems on the trail).

Jul 9, 2007
    whitefirelight wrote:

I've had different trail runners over the years, in most cases they aren't too different from a regular running shoe with the exception that they usually have a slightly more durable outer material, and some of them offer more "ankle protection".

Yes, it seems that many experienced trail runners use road shoes for all but the most technical terrain.

• rodhall Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    9. Jun 8, 2009 4:37 PM (in response to effzee)

Check out Zappos.com great selection and a righteous return policy (they pay the freight both ways).  Pay attention to the reviews - I  lost a big toe nail in a race because I refused to believe the posts saying the shoes ran a full size too small.

• Tony94852 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 21, 2009
    10. Jun 13, 2009 6:58 PM (in response to effzee)

I'm not an "experienced" ultra runner, but I have been running trails for about a year and ran a couple of races this year.  I started out with standard running shoes and found the roots and rocks to be a little painful when you kick them with an unprotected toe, so I bought a pair of Asics trail shoes last winter.  The extra protection on my toe was great and I noticed a little benefit with better traction in some conditions.  In one of my training runs for the Promise Land 50k, I ran an especially technical and rocky section of the AT and had really bad pain in my feet from running on the rocks.  I went to a local running store and bought a pair of Montrail Hardrocks at the recommendation of the person working at the store.  The Montrails have been great because of the added protection from stones and they're lightweight.  I have not had anymore problems with stone bruises.  I don't know if the Montrails will work for you, but I would definitely recommend seeking help from a store that caters to runners.

• GeofBaum Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 21, 2009
    11. Jul 21, 2009 6:28 PM (in response to effzee)

I love my Innov8's and hopefully you do too. I'm lucky enough to have grown up in a family that owns and runs a local running specialty store so I especially appreciate that most people still try and buy their shoes locally (at least around here anyway). I have a bunch of different styles of their shoes but I personally prefer the Roclite models to their other models mainly I think because the difference in tread format/style. I did my first 50k in a pair of Roclite 305s and had run previously to that in Roclite 315s and just a few days ago got a pair of X-Talon 212s that I must say as of the first 5 days of running in them love them as much as I loved my 305s. Similar tread pattern as the Roclites just lighter and definitely more breathable. Anyway as I said before, hope you enjoy them when you get them, they are great shoes and hold up well for me so I hope they do for you too. Let us know what you think of them when you get them.

" A Runner Must Run With Dreams In His Heart " - Emil Zatopek

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...