Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

15918 Views 93 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2008 5:08 AM by JoeInTX RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next
  • macd019 Pro 709 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 9, 2008 1:21 PM (in response to GLBryan)
    Re: 1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of June 8th

Hey all! Things got hectic at work at the end of last week, and both DDs and #1's BF were home over the weekend, so I am way behind... Just caught up on my reading! Now to try to catch up on shoutouts--

Toshi, awesome job on the Ultra!! You are amazing.

spicegeek, hope you are enjoying your trip! Glad to hear you made it to Tiffany's (I am a firm believer in buying myself something I want for my b'day). Maybe we could have a pic of you doing push- or pullups modeling your new bling?

andahuff, thanks for the carrot cake recipe. I made a couple substitutionssome applesauce for part of the oil and Splenda for part of the sugarand it came out fab. Don't know why I bothered to try to make the cake healthier, thoughthe icing sort of defeats that! It was very popular with the kidsDD#2 and #1's BF had scrambled eggs and carrot cake for breakfast on Sunday! Your dog story sounds familiar--he was probably waiting to get back in the A/C.

Kevin, sorry to hear you didn't PR as you'd hoped, but in those conditions and so soon after your half, you did very well. Sounds like you have an ambitious race schedule for the summer--should keep things interesting!

runjr, that's neat that DD wants to do the long runs with you and DW after she starts school--what a great way to catch up with one another! It sounds really nice to run along the lakefront. I think DD#2 has done that, not sure #1 has made it there yet, but she's living downtown so she probably has. #2 was still undecided about the Marathon, but several of her friends are doing it (and she's quite susceptible to peer pressure ).

joe, glad to hear the MRI went well... I hope you don't get the call I did the day after mine: "I have an opening on the surgical schedule tomorrow, do you want it?" How is the knee feeling? I'll have to check out Twitter.

Stan, welcome back! Good job on the May mileage!

Cara, congrats on your 30+ week! You're really doing well on your speedwork too!

Chuck, great job on the 50(+) days! And good running in your heat/humidity!

misswendy, great run (Sat, I think?)! Hope you enjoy your travels! LOL on your stalking habits.

Mary, sorry to hear about your father and FIL. Hope they are both doing better. You still got double-digit mileage in for the week--way to go!

Gayle, sounds like you are progressing right through HH. Your MRI situation sounds awful--glad it was negative!

Welcome, April & Amy! You both sound like you're doing great with your training!

On the schedule the PT gave me, I was "allowed" to add a 4th run last week, which I did on Sat. but had only gone a mile before DH and the dogs came by to pick me up to go have coffee with the friends who let the dogs out while we're at work. Today I could add another half mile, so I did 2.5 this morning. I don't know if it's the heat/humidity (74F and 80% at 5am today) or the extra distance or both, but I'm getting slower the further I go. I was able to run the whole thing though, so for now I'll settle for that. The knee feels a little swollen todayI probably should have iced more over the weekend. DD#1 is the one who did the really taxing runshe went out ~11 am yesterday, when the heat and humidity were both around 90, and did 13 miles. After she got back, the kids took the boat out for about 3 1/2 hrs., and they all got fried. She was pretty dehydrated last night. I know she knows better...

Hey to everyone I missed, and keep cool!

• chuck43 Expert 1,054 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    16. Jun 9, 2008 2:05 PM (in response to macd019)

hey everyone, well didn't do to good on milage last week, I didn't feel to hot Saturday and sunday so missed those days and only had 13 miles for the week.Ok though , was suppose to be a light week this week so I'm just going to reverse it and use last week as the rest week . I really want to get 30 a week.

I'll catch up later. Oh my DS made it to Washington yesterday

• Aprilrunsagain Rookie 27 posts since
    Jun 8, 2008
    17. Jun 9, 2008 2:17 PM (in response to GLBryan)

(((JOE))) I will keep you in my prayers.  I have a funny MRI story.  Last October I was at my job (nurse in a convelescent home).  I had been running my usual, about 12 miles a week, and I had this pain behind my knee for over a week.  I bent down at work to crank a bed, and when I stood up, the pain behind my knee went away.  A half hour later, I had a pain in my chest, so I drove myself to the VA hospital, thinking I had "blown a clot".  They did the MRI and a CAT Scan....doctor reported about six hours later, that there was no evidence of a blood clot, but that I was full of stool.  Even I could have told ya that!

I went to the gym today to do my cardio because it was so hot in CT, that they cancelled school early.  I had to do my "Fitness Test" today.  I do it once a month.  What I do is 3 12 minute runs, to see what my distance is.  I wrote down the numbers, since I had this site to report to. 

The first 12 minutes, I did .91 miles, and finished up the mile in 13:05. 

I did 13 minutes on the rowing machine, then another 12 minute run.  The second 12 minute run I did at 5.0 miles per hour for as long as I could, and for 12 minutes, I did .98 miles....finishing my mile in 12:11.  

The heat or something gave me a headache, so I drank some gatorade and took two bayers, and then did my next 12 minutes at 4.0 miles per hour, trying to just keep my pace steady, with my goal being a mile.  I hit a mile at 15:05.....with a half a mile walk to cool down.

I did 15 minutes on the bike and then came home.

I have been eating protien before my workout, and drinking a lot of water.  I picked up a TWINLABS product at GNC called RIPPED FUEL and am going to start taking half the recommended dose, and see how that works for me. 

It's 5:15pm and still 101 degrees here, so I am grateful I found a way to do what I had to do to train today.

Great Posts from everyone, It was hard to get going, but thank God for today....It's a done deal. Trudge Trudge.

• Cara_26.2 Pro 711 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Jun 9, 2008 3:04 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Evening all,

I got in 6.3 miles of intervals this morning in beautiful sunshine. My legs were a little tired at first, but it got better into the run so fet good after. I think i'll do about 4 tomorrow easy as I just don't want to take the day off - I think a shorter easy / recovery run will do me good. It probably means I wont make 30 miles this week, but it'll be close enough!

Stan - great to have you back and i'm really pleased to hear your running is going so well. Keep up the good work! I'm not much good at 'not' running... but i'll take it really easy instead

April - Glad you managed to find some new motivation from this thread! That hot tub sounds lovely! And whatever time you do in that 5k it'll be great and much quicker than you'd do sat on the couch!

Amy - If you're already running 5 days and 25 miles a week you're doing pretty well! There's loads of formal plans out there, but I usually read lots then make up my own. Those sun rises sound lovely!

Joe - Glad to hear the MRI went ok and hoping for good results for you! Hope you've received loads of 'tweets' from your peeps! LOL now - where'd that picture go of peeps!

Misswendy - cool intervals! I don't think I could manage 30 secs at 7:50... you did brilliantly. Hope you had a nice time with the inlaws - glad you still managed to find time to post to us all - that's true dedication

Kevin - Looking forward to seeing those pictures! Good luck on the 30 mins run. I thought you might have gone out too quick in your race as it sounded like what I did on my last 10k. Still it's all experience and proves we are still all novices too... well except some hmm - I wonder what 'race training' runs are and I hope i'm doing them

Macd - Glad you managed to catch up with us - luckily for you it was a quiet week Cool that your up to 4 days and a 2.5 mile run. It sounds like real progress. 13 miles in that weather and a boat trip? DD is mad - but sounds like fun

Chuck - Glad DS made it to Washington ok. Don't worry about missing those runs - the extra rest will do you good. Take it easy getting to that 30 mile barrier! It's taken me a while but was well worth the wait!

Well - i'm off to bed as it's getting late and I want to be up for that extra run

Chat tomorrow

Cara

PR's

18/04/2010 Brighton Marathon: 4:23:45

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    20. Jun 9, 2008 4:05 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

I had a great weekend in Florida - once I finally got there - Delta cancelled my flight and I ended up flying Sat morning instead of Friday afternoon. I spend the weekend with several of my scuba buddies talking fish and eating WAY more cake than is reasonable. One of my friends used to own a bakery - she taught me to make her shortbread which is to die for - she also baked me the most awesome cake .. pictures .......

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2004084&l=f1047&id=1051147666

Looking forward to getting back to the gym tomorrow - even of the EC is away until Thurs !

April .. welcome to the mad house ...if you stick around you will ask at some point so I`ll tell you now and save the confusion - EC = Eye Candy !

runjr you and your girls are really putting in some miles these days !

Mary - so sorry to hear you have some many problems to handle right now - thats tough when you really need to be in 2 or 3 places

Cara - Well done on a 30 mile week - that`s awesome !! YES do as the schedule says - take a rest day - your body needs to recover to improve.

Stan - glad to hear you are doing well !

misswendy -happy travels !!

kevee - hope all is well with you

Joe - I am SO happy you got an MRI = I hope it shows something that can be foxed quickly and easily

macd - no push ups modeling the bling -- I`m heavy enough !!! Take it easy - I know I did too much too fast after my injury and I`m giving myself another 3 weeks off.

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    21. Jun 9, 2008 5:04 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

I want to add something .. I don`t have kids or a hubby to brag about - so please allow me this shameless brag about my tri buddy - She took 5th place female in the Montauk triathlon this past weekend - I am SO proud of her !! ... This girl is AWESOME - she is beyond ripped she is in such good shape -  she would have every right to be arrogant about her level of fitness - she work VERY hard - but she is such a wonderful person - she encourages everyone at the gym - she is just a cleint - she works out there  - she was so kind to me when I first started working out - Now we are very good friends 

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• andahuff Amateur 290 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    22. Jun 9, 2008 6:56 PM (in response to spicegeek)

Hi all! What did I miss? Is there a condensed version?

No running today. Rest day. Im SO VERY rested and ready to rock and roll tomorrow

• chuck43 Expert 1,054 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    23. Jun 9, 2008 7:08 PM (in response to andahuff)

Hey everyone, I ran 6.02 tonight on my hill route and got a great run in 54:55 and was soaking wet when I finished.  Felt real good. Ran at 8 tonight.

Spicegeek, I'd brag to if I knew her, awesome job. I bet she is ripped to do that good she has got to be in great shape. I admire her.

Cara, I'm tring for 6 whish I did tonight then 4 tomorrow rest wensday then 6 and then 4 and rest then 10 and that will get my 30 for the week.

Joe good luck

Kevin great race my freind up north!

Well I've got to go calm down and get ready for bed good night all my  Marathonoresto freinds.

• kevee Rookie 376 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Jun 9, 2008 7:28 PM (in response to andahuff)

Good evening everyone!  I did my 30 min run (2.69mi) this afternoon.  The ‘hot temps are pretty much gone.  It was about 75 degrees for my run.  Much more comfortable.  The run felt really good too.  40 minutes tomorrow morning.  Sorry I forgot to pick up my pictures.  It'll have to be tomorrow.

Joe, Hey!  Good for you!  I'm glad you went and had the test done.  I hope the results come back with good news for you.

GLBryan, that supposed injury must've been scary for you!  It's good it wasn't as bad as they thought.

Macd019, sounds like you had a busy weekend.  Chaperoning?  LOL.  Yeah it'll be interesting all right.  Coach told me the first 3 races I have scheduled I can run if I want but they won't affect my training much.  The last 3 before SA He's going to have them be ‘training' races.  Should be interesting.  Great job on the 2.5 miles!  It definitely should feel harder the farther you go.  Don't worry about speed so much.  You can work on that later, after you've built your mileage back up.

Chuck, Hey!  Good news on your son getting to Washington.  Are you sure you're OK now?  You don't want to go out increasing mileage if you're still not yourself.  Just my .02.

April, that's a funny story!  Those are great times for your fitness test.

Joe, yeah we've gotten a whole months worth of rain in 2 days.  Milwaukee got about 8 inches of rain.  Not that much by Hurricane standards, but it just doesn't rain that much all at once up here.  Lake Delton, about a hour west of me, burst it's banks and isn't there anymore.  Drained right out and took about 5 homes with it.  Thankfully no one was hurt.

Cara, Congrats on the intervals.  You've got the good weather again.  See I do share!  LOL.  Yeah you're doing them (intervals).  Speedwork, time trials, strideouts.  All meant to teach us how to handle the increased stress of racing.

Spicegeek, Welcome back!  I hope you had a good time.  Congrats to your ‘tri-buddy'!  She sounds like a wonderful person.

Andahuff, have a great run tomorrow.  Sounds like you enjoyed your rest.

Well I'm going to bed.  Got an early morning run.  ‘See ya' in the morning.

Kevin

• runjr Legend 912 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    25. Jun 9, 2008 8:10 PM (in response to kevee)

hi all, did some speed work on the track in about 2 miles away from home. The warm-up run was the run to the track and the cool down was the run home. I ran 5 splits of .15 miles. I used the lap button on my garmin when I stopped and started. It was actually quite fun running on a track.

I am way behind on this thread but I will try to catch up.

mary - Hope your father-in-law and father are doing better. With the weather it made it more difficult to get the running in.

cara - great week of running. You really have the desire to run and now you don't want to stop that is wonderful. Take a rest day it is good for you. You take your days off like I do.  Your DH is probably getting nervous that you are going to pass him soon!!

stan - the miles are building and I am happy for you. I am glad you are building slowly to ensure you stay healthy. Thanks for the kind words on our last race.

amy -glad your running went well the other day and the last 5 days.

kevee - with all the rain you can probably fish right out your kitchen window. Great run today.

joe - glad to hear the MRI was completed.  We are anxious for the results as I am sure you are.

macd - hope DD#2 enters the race. We are trying to ensure that the time fits for the family and will sign up soon. I hope to just get under 4 hours for my first full marathon as I don't know what to expect. It is definitely the weather making it tough to run.

spicegeek - the miles with the family are truly fantastic. I am still doing the sit-ups and push-ups at night just in case I work out with you someday.

chuck - great run, it feels good when you sweat alot and then are finished.

april - great fitness test.

take care all.

PR's:
    Susan Komen Race For The cure 5k......... 21:11
    Striders Milwaukee HM ....................... .1:37
    Indy Monumental Marathon ...................3:30 BQ

• Cara_26.2 Pro 711 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    26. Jun 10, 2008 3:31 AM (in response to runjr)

Morning all,

I didn't quite manage the rest day but I did take it extra easy instead and only did 4.2 miles rather than the normal 6. My schedule did say I could do an easy run so I feel ok with this. I actually ran keeping an eye on my heart rate with the low threshold in mind. Low heart rate training is keeping your heart rate under (180 - age - 5 or 10) taking the highest of this, I was trying to keep my heart rate below 145. I managed under 130 for the first mile or so, then up to about 3 miles I was in the 130s, but the last bit was all up hill so it crept up a little and I think did hit 150. Still - i'm pretty pleased though - I thing the pace overall was about 11:20 mm so v.e.r.y s.l.o.w for me you'll be pleased to hear! I'm going to take my real rest day tomorrow, then I have a hill workout Thurs, more intervals Fri and my long run on Sat to finish off the week.

Spicegeek - good to have you back and glad you had a great trip. Soung like a good plan to take it easy for the next few weeks. Please post the shortbread recipe as I love shortbread so would definitely give it a try! Your tri friend sounds AMAZING! Give her a big congratulations from all of us!

Andahuff - luckily we're going slow at the moment so you've not missed much! Hope you enjoyed that rest day and have a great run today!

Chuck - great time on that 6.02 hill run. I wish I could do that! Are you still following that base building schedule? Please make sure you take it easy as it does sound like a big jump to 30 miles this week. You're doing a great job out there though!

Kevin - Glad the weather in more favourable for running! We seem to have the hot weather back, but I hear it wont last through to next weekend. I hope I will be able to handle the 'increased stress of racing' and that I will just remember to take it steady! I'm interested to know more about all those races you have coming up? Will these replace your long runs? My worry with racing is that I won't get the long runs in and hence will suffer later?

Runjr - Great speed work! I think I'm going to try using the lap button next time to really record my intervals. I've not done this yet, but keep thinking I should as it'll be interesting viewing. It feels odd if I take a day off now... especially for some reason due to running in the mornings - by tomorrow i'll be thinking it's been ages since my last run! Although I will enjoy the lie in

Just remembered... I meant to ask you guys about shoes! I need to get a new pair soon, and was thinking about getting another pair of the Saucony Triump 5's, but they are £85 ($170), the triump 4's I can get for £50 ($100) do you think it's worth the extra money for the updated versions? Are they really likely to be that different? I know Runjr will have plenty of advice for me here

Hope everyone's well! Chat Later

Cara

PR's

18/04/2010 Brighton Marathon: 4:23:45

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

• kevee Rookie 376 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    28. Jun 10, 2008 8:52 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

Good morning all!  I did my 40 min run (3.4mi) this am.  A little slower than yesterday, but still a good run.  The weather was nice this morning.  There was a nice breeze too!  After I finished running (and got the  girls off to school for their last day) I cut the grass.  Wow did it grow fast.  What with the sun going to be out for the next 2 days I'll probably have to cut it again on Saturday.

Runjr, great job on the intervals!  I probably won't be seeing those in my training for awhile.  But they're fun aren't they?  No, not the kitchen, the bedroom window.  When I cut the grass this morning I still have some standing water adjacent to my bedroom.  I hope it dries up in the next couple of days otherwise the mosquitoe'll take over.  By the way.  My schedule calls for an 8 mile run this Sunday (I'm going to do it in the early am) and a 10 mile run on the 22nd.  Are you available to run on the 22nd?

Cara, good job on the easy 4.2 miles.  That sounds like a good plan with your Low HR training.  I try to run my easy runs around 140bpm.  For me that seems to be an easy effort.  Today that was 11.76/mi.  I'm only doing about 1 race per month until Sept.  That will still leave time for long runs (probably 2-3 per month)  I got an idea how coach feels about long runs when he had me do a 12 mile run the week before my half.  In his mind I only need 1 week to taper.  The races (mostly all 5K's) are going to be similar to Misswendy's 5x 1K intervals.  I just won't be taking the breaks between the intervals.  And I probably won't be going as fast as she went either.  LOL  Yep! Runjr's THE SHOE MAN!  LOL.  But seriously, have you gone to a running store?  Gotten their opinion of what should work best for you?  Good luck with the rest day tomorrow.

Joe, Cool pic!  Still haven't investigated twitter.  I've got to remember my own pics this afternoon.

Oops, I'm playing golf right after work today.  The pharmacy (that has my pictures) won't be open when I get home.  Maybe I can bribe DD#2 to go pick them up this afternoon.  Good luck to everyone with their runs this afternoon!

Kevin

1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...