Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1017 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2008 9:27 AM by Samidio RSS
Samidio Rookie 13 posts since
Jul 21, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 10, 2008 1:35 PM

Is it ok to run even though you don't feel like it?

I was planning to exercise today and run for around 40 minutes with 70-80% of heart rate max. After I had warmed up, I really didn't feel like running. My body kind of didn't want to move so much. I have heard that you should listen to your body, so I decided to not exercise. Is it ok to run even though you don't feel like it?

• pilot76 Rookie 25 posts since
    May 15, 2008
    1. Jun 10, 2008 3:57 PM (in response to Samidio)
    Re: Is it ok to run even though you don't feel like it?

It can be, but that doesn't mean you have to.  For me it depends on why I don't feel like running.  If I don't feel like it because of pain or soreness, I make a decision to run or not to run based off of how much pain I am experiencing.  So if it is pain related, I listen to my body, then decide whether or not I should do what my body wants.

If it isn't pain related, then I ignore my body and run anyway.  My body always ends up getting used to it and quits complaining, so I can finish the run.  If it ever gets worse, or screams louder, then I would probably call it quits for the run.

So yeah, it can be ok to run.  You just need to know what your body is saying and why it is saying it.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a day off and running another day though.  If you don't know your body that well yet, playing it safe and taking the day off is not a bad idea.

• jenniferbaker Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jun 10, 2008 4:10 PM (in response to Samidio)
    Re: Is it ok to run even though you don't feel like it?

I agree with pilot76, it depends on why you don't feel like running.  I try to at least get through 10 minutes before calling it quits because that's usually how much running it takes to get me in the truly warmed up zone. Once I'm there and I still have issues, I know it is not my will that has a problem.  Of course, if you are in a lot (or sharp) pain, you may wanna rest another day or cross train.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...