Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2705 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2008 9:18 AM by Jay Silvio RSS
xnmmi77 Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 6, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 6, 2008 8:49 AM

Want To Run 50k On My 50th (Apr '09) , Realistic or Not?

Hello All, brand new here, please be gentle:^0 .  I have been out of running for ever (20+years), used to do Triathlons and 5/10k's. I want to start running ultra's, trails in particular. I am going to have my complete physical done on Monday (6/9). I don't expect any issues at all. I want to do my first 50k on the weekend I turn 50. Is that a realistic goal? I am not really doing any training right now, my time line to start seriously is August 01. (schedule and time will free up greatly then) All things considered, it seems do-able to me. I know I have the mental discipline for endurance running, I suppose the only factor is how fast I can get ready? Please let me know if I am way off base in my expectations for a newbie, I look forward to becoming involved in this community and sharing the many miles ahead with you all.

• JohnHPtown Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 6, 2008

I did the Ohlone Wilderness 50K Trail Run last month as my first ultra-marathon at the age of 46.  I wasn't really planning to do an ultra, but was definitely training for marathon distance and did my 3rd marathon in April.  I think the desire to finish is just as important as the physical fitness, so you're already half-way there.  Keep training and go for it!

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

Welcome to active.com!

What a fantastic goal.  I think 8 months will be enough time to train for a 50K as long as you are not particularly worried about your finishing time.  If you follow a decent workout schedule, I believe you will be able to complete the race as long as you are able to avoid injuries, major blisters, etc.  Please let us know if you have any more questions or comments.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

ps - I'm also planning to run my first ultra in the spring of '09 (this year I'm focused on completing the Maryland Double - the Frederick and Baltimore marathons).

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    xnmmi77 wrote:

I may pick your brain for a good training schedule

No problem; I'd be happy to help out.  And I'm glad you enjoy my blog (I love getting comments).  I started it because I wanted to keep a record for myself and others of what it's like to prepare for marathons (and ultras next year).  I hope it's somewhat inspiring.

Best of luck with your return to running!

Jay

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...