Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9178 Views 35 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 8:43 PM by Waiaka 1 2 3 Previous Next
soldierboy Rookie 6 posts since
Dec 28, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 10, 2008 4:43 AM

GEL and Gatorade

When running marathons I find myself always in the bathroom. I found a article that says that gel and gatoraide together causes problems. Does anyone know if it's true? If that is the case should I just use Gel and water. Is that enough carbs, or ahould I just drink gatoraide? If that's the case can you get dehydrated from drinking just gatraide? Someone help me I am so lost.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Mar 10, 2008 5:26 AM (in response to soldierboy)
    Re: GEL and Gatorade

It is true that gels and sport drinks don't mix well so you should either go with water and gels or gatorade.  You will want to experiment on your long training runs to see which option works best for you.

• Mark W Rice Pro 118 posts since
    May 21, 2008
    2. Jun 12, 2008 5:59 PM (in response to soldierboy)

I totally agree with Jay.  I found one difference in my experience with Gels (that's what I use to date)... With sport drinks, you get energy very soon (before the run if you drink sport drings before the run) and electrolytes (however, I don't suspect you need it for the first few miles).  With gel packs, you typically don't get it until 45 minutes into the run.  I personally have been fine without anything until my first gel pack. 

I have a question about this though... during training, I don't eat gel before the run... and if it is an hour long or shorter, I don't use it at all.  This is partially to keep my body burning as much fat as possible.  Am I seeing this scenario correctly?  Should I even start my training runs with a gel pack?

Another question about Gel vs. sportdrinks:  sport drinks are higher content sugar than are the gel packs (according to the labels).  Is that good?  Which is better (to burn fat, or to train).  THEN, which is better during a marathon?  During the race, I take the suger... that's my guess.  Although during this past April's marathon, I used gel packs exclusively until mile 15 when I ate a few Jolly Ranchers (hard sugar candy). 

I would welcome any input on these issues.

Mark

• Diane Stokes Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    3. Jun 20, 2008 8:07 AM (in response to Mark W Rice)

Hi Mark,

I am a triathlete, so my needs might be a little different than yours because I have to get my nutrition on the bike and make sure I get enough for the run, but not too much where I get cramps on the run.

Any workout less than one hour  I only consume water.  Your body has plenty of stores for that workout. The exception to this rule is if you are doing one workout in the morning and another in the evening, especially if you can't eat within the 30min window after exercise. 

I'm experimenting now as I build for a 1/2 iron distance and then an iron distance race this summer and fall.  I find that I can tolerate small increments of carbs spaced over time better than larger lumps.  So, for a long run, I will drink G2 until 1/4 of the way, then do 1/2 a gel.  Again, if I'm just running the one session and it's 10 miles or so, this works for me.  I also try to eat a small 200-250 calorie snack about 1 hour before the workout.

Hope this helps,

Diane Stokes

www.fitbricks.com

May 21, 2008
    4. Jun 20, 2008 3:52 PM (in response to Diane Stokes)

Thanks Diane.  Yes, it helps. 

Mark

• Nancy Clark RD CSSD Community Moderator 63 posts since
    Jul 8, 2007
    5. Jul 8, 2008 9:52 AM (in response to soldierboy)

Many runners have problems with gels; you are not the only one! Always be sure to experiment during training to figure out what products work for your body.

You can also fuel yourself without gels or sports drinks. The trick is to eat 200 to 500 calories (as tolerated) pre-run, and that should last you for about an hour or so. Then, you want to fuel during the run -- another 200 to 300 calories per hour, depending on your speed and body size and tolerance.  Some runners like twizzlers or gummi bears, others'  like dried fruit or sugar wafers, some like rice crispie treats. You just want easy-to-digest calories that settle well. My Food Guide for Marathoners: Tips for Everyday Championsoffers abundant information on how to fuel before, during and after runs, with or without engineered foods.

As for "burning fat during a run" -- you want to be fueled when runnnig, and lose fat at night when you are sleeping. My motto is "Fuel by day, diet by night." That is, plan to create a calorie deficit at the end of the day by eating fewer evening snacks, rather than dragging through workouts. Note: Burning fat does not translate into loss of body fat ... you have to create a caloire deficit for the whole day to lose fat....

Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD

Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD

Sports nutrition counselor and food/weight coach

Author, Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook

www.nancyclarkrd.com

Jul 9, 2007
    6. Jul 10, 2008 9:36 AM (in response to Nancy Clark RD CSSD)
    Nancy Clark RD CSSD wrote:

My motto is "Fuel by day, diet by night." That is, plan to create a calorie deficit at the end of the day by eating fewer evening snacks, rather than dragging through workouts.

This seems to go against the ELMO principle.  Wouldn't cutting your calorie intake during the evening lower you blood sugar levels and slow down your metabolism at night?

Jul 8, 2007
    7. Jul 10, 2008 6:43 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

If a person needs to create a calorie deficit to lose body fat, wouldn't it be better to create that deficit at night, when the person is not trying to think, work, be productive, exercise, and be pleasant -- in addition to having a slower daytime metabolism?

Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD

www.nancyclarkrd.com

Jul 9, 2007
    8. Jul 11, 2008 8:03 AM (in response to Nancy Clark RD CSSD)
    Nancy Clark RD CSSD wrote:

If a person needs to create a calorie deficit to lose body fat, wouldn't it be better to create that deficit at night, when the person is not trying to think, work, be productive, exercise, and be pleasant -- in addition to having a slower daytime metabolism?

Wouldn't it be best to try and spread the calorie deficit out as close to evenly as possible throughout the day in order to avoid peaks and valleys?

May 21, 2008
    9. Jul 11, 2008 7:41 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Spreading it out evenly makes sense to me.  Even when running, you're not replacing the same amount of calaries that you're burning, nor would you really want to attempt that (over 100 calaries per mile??? Whew!  Way too much). If I go to bed feeling fine (not full, and not hungry) I sleep well.  If I go to bed hungry, I do not sleep well and sometimes wake up because of being hungry.  Admitedly, Nancy may not be thinking of the level of hunger that it's making me think. 

For me, the only time I have trouble thinking well is when I am quite hungry... not when I'm mearly running a bit lean on the food.  I keep snacks with me (in the "envelope" that I carry) so I avoid the starving feeling, but I operate well when slightly hungry or barely not hungry.  If I eat more than I use during the day, I'm not so sure that I think any better, and sometimes think less clearly.

Mark

• ragamuffinruns Pro 115 posts since
    Jul 17, 2008
    10. Oct 3, 2008 3:55 PM (in response to soldierboy)

Gel or Gatorade is the best guide.  I've asked several sports docs and they all agree on this also no need to use the gels until well into your run.  I like dried cherries best for race day with a gel about the halfway mark but then, I'm a slow runner and probably don't need as much nutrition...

To God be the glory!

• Brian Franks Amateur 7 posts since
    Jun 15, 2008
    11. Oct 18, 2008 4:09 PM (in response to soldierboy)

I have to say I agree with others and the gel not settling well. I actually quit using gel because of this reason. I have heard too many times from runners that they threw up after a gel and infact last time I used a gel I just about threw up when I ingested it. I switched to the Shot Bloks or Powerbar has those new gel blasts which are pretty cool.

There is an article in Running Times November 2008 issue about a scientific study about increasing the amount of carbs ingested by using a different ratio of sucrose to fructose (2:1). Before this study was even published Powerbar got wind of it and reformulated it's powerbars and gels to take advantage of this new finding. Very interesting article and worth reading. They claim that by ingesting more carbs an elite athletic can potentially shave 14 minuts off a full marathon.

• running01 Amateur 27 posts since
    Oct 22, 2007
    12. Nov 28, 2008 1:02 PM (in response to soldierboy)

I rarely drink pure Gatorade while running.  Try mixing 1/2 water and 1/2 Gatorade on your next run to see if that makes it easier on your stomach.  And you cannot get dehydrated from drinking Gatorade.  I agree with the others that gels are not easy to stomach.  Most gels also do not contain any fat or protein (which are necessarily bad to consume during a run) and have less than 1/2 the calories of a Clif bar.  There are a lot more reasons to choose solid foods over gels.  Just make sure you stick to whatever foods you eat during training on race day.  Even changing to a different sports bar can have bad effects.

Jul 8, 2007
    13. Nov 29, 2008 3:27 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Theoretically, if you knock off 100 calories a day, you'll  lose 10 pounds of fat a year. Knocking off 200 calories a day translates into 20 pounds of fat loss a year. I invite my clients to create this small calorie deficit at the end of the day (by having 4 fewer Oreos, a little less ice cream, 20 fewer potato chips). They are  not "hungry"; they are just "not full" -- and they are able to both train hard, recover well, and sleep fine. 

By creating a small calorie deficit, an athlete can function fully, sleep well, exercise hard, and successfully chip away at losing undesired body fat. An athlete can sustain a small calorie deficit for a long time. In contrast, an athlete cannot sustain a restrictive diet that leads to hunger (and likely backfires into a food binge, if not low energy).

My Sports Nutrition Guidebook has a strong section on how to lose weight and have energy to exercise. You might find it helpful.

Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD

Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD

www.nancyclarkrd.com

• ULTRA-performance Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 5, 2009
    14. Jan 5, 2009 11:56 AM (in response to Nancy Clark RD CSSD)

Gel is primarily for CARB replacement and CARD loading and can be used before, after or during training.

Don't mistake Gatorade as electrolyte replacement formula. True Replacement of Electrolytes should come from pure source (devoid of sugar). Sugar actually inhibits the electrolyte "charge" that occurs when these key minerals are in one solution, then it can actually conduct an electrical charge. Most of these products are good for Card Replacement and thats IT.

Gatorade and smiliar drinks have potassium and sodium and TAUGHT themselves as "electrolyte replacement" and it's NOT TRUE.

They are missing several KEY ingredients like: Chloride, BiCarbonate, Sulfur, Phosphorus (as well as Sodium and Potassium).

There is  ONLY ONE ELECTROLYTE DRINK on the market that provides balances electrolyte replacement:

http://healthtoheart.com/electrolytes/

If you are feeling RUN DOWN, you are missing electrolytes that are vital to your performance. 

If you're dehyrdated you have already lost electrolytes and you can't just replace them by drinking water. Drinking water dilutes what electrolytes you have left.

This "burn out" thing with us runners usually happens because of electrolyte deficiency and yet there is only one product I've found that offers a true replacement.

Here is a great free report that explains the SITUATION for runners. Very cool.

http://www.healthtoheart.com/Electrolyte-Secret.pdf

Cheers!

Attachments:
1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...