Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

26499 Views 184 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2008 9:19 AM by MagicKimdom Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Previous Next
  • Fooseberry Rookie 51 posts since
    Aug 17, 2007

I think it starts around 9am. I can't find anything that says rain date and I think it is going to rain.At least it will be cool.

I just got Caleb on Monday - he is a 1 year old Boxer and he did pretty good. His previous owner was a military guy so I think he must have ran before. I used a retractable leash so it gave me a few feet to go by and call him and he would catch up so I never really lost my pace until we saw another dog.

I don't expect to run the whole thing but I am excited to try. I just loaded some pumping pop music on my ipod so I hope that helps. I think the fever of the whole thing will help me go longer.

See you next week,

Jennifer

• jenniferbaker Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

W7D1 complete   and boy are my legs hurting.

• jogger2B Rookie 28 posts since
    May 28, 2008

Hey everybody!  You guys are making me want a dog.  Unfortunately my work schedule involves lots of long travel days, and I don't think it would be fair.  However, we have several friends with well trained dogs so I may just have to borrow one for my runs sometime!  When I was in college there was this big beefy guy that used to run with his rottweiler every single day.  It was funny how similar their body types were.  It always looked like they were having a blast!

I definitely want to hear from everyone how the races went.  My 5k won't be until August 9.  That gives a couple of extra weeks after I finish C25k to try to build up my speed.  I ran another 25 minutes today.  Had to do the treadmill and forgot to put on my headphones.  Then, I didn't want to stop running b/c that seemed like cheating.  I was okay for about 15 minutes and then I was bored, bored, bored. But, I did finish without any gasping and without any pain.  I, too, am running about a 12 minute mile. So, I'm going to have to increase my time running or my speed to actually be able to complete a 5k.  Or, I can always just take a walk break!  I definitely am starting to feel like a bona fide runner.  Never thought I'd say that!

• iamrunnernow Rookie 18 posts since
    Jun 13, 2008

Hi everybody!

I just found this thread thanks to MagicKim redirecting me here. (thanks!) I checked the forum here for the first time today after completing the first 25 min run (the end of W6). I realized I was afraid of the next week of no walk breaks. I am glad you guys share your experience here it helps a ton! I was terrified of the 20 min run and stressed about it for almost 2 weeks until I hit the 15 min on my treadmill and knew than that I could make it. Today I think was easier but I paced myself mentally thinking I at least have to run 10 min than 15 min and than I kept thinking with every minute accomplished that 8 minute, 7 minute, 6 minute is a piece of cake and I can do it and it worked! I definitely have to keep my mind set otherwise I could be tired at 5 minutes. It is amazing that my body is ready and it is all about the mental focus. Either way to think that I was scared of switching from 90 sec to 3 minutes makes me smile. Way to go everybody! I will let you know how the first week of "no walk" goes.

Dec 14, 2007

Now that I am running 25 minutes straight, I have found that it is talking me 2 days in between each run to recover. Is anyone else feeling this, or could it be that I am just that out of shape?

• jogger2B Rookie 28 posts since
    May 28, 2008

Welcome Iamrunner now!  These threads have definitely helped me stay motivated.  There is another thread that is slightly ahead of us so I always sneak a peak to see what they're doing to know how easy the next week will be.  I also pace myself similar to you by breaking the run into smaller chunks in my mind. 

I was sending out happy thoughts to those of you racing!  Hope it went really well for you.  This morning, I went to a local park here in Flagstaff.  There was  a "just move it" event so there were lots of people.  Just move it is a program put on by the Dine (Navajo) people to encourage exercise.  They have several events each year all over northern Arizona.  The Navajo also have a wonderful outlook on life and say that people should "walk in beauty".    So, I was really thinking about that while I was running today and, you know, it really is a beautiful thing to feel connected to people in your community and just get out there and move it in whatever way seems right for you. I saw baby strollers, bikes, older people with walkers, dogs,etc. .  It really was exciting.  I ran 2 miles in my 25 minutes.  I've got some work to do to be able to get up to the full 5k distance but that's okay.  I was "jogging in beauty" today and that's what counts. 

I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow so I'm not sure if I'll post.   Everybody have a great week!

Dec 14, 2007

Hey all. I think I'm going to have to quit C25K and do a less intense 5K program.  I completed W7D1, but I'm having a hard time recovering from the 25 minute runs.  Jeff Galloway has a program on his site for 5K newbies that I think is more my speed.  He has alot more room for walking even if it says to run that day, and I feel like I can do that one better since I am overweight and not getting in shape as quickly as I need to in order to do the C25K all the way through. 

I will keep posting thoughts to this thread if that's ok with y'all.  I really enjoy the support system we got here.

• iamrunnernow Rookie 18 posts since
    Jun 13, 2008

Jennifer,

don't quit unless you absolutely have to! I started doing this program to mainly lose weight and get back in shape. I was not loosing fast enough with just running so I added walking alternating with walking uphill on the days I don't run. It helps with making my legs stronger and I am losing weight faster. I am keeping the C25K program to be a better breather and for the accomplishment feeling. I want to be able to keep running after I get to my targeted weight. I am down 35 pounds and 30 more to go. Try going back and repeat some of the previous weeks with the walking intervals to give your body more time to get in shape. I walked for almost 2 months before starting C25K to be even able to walk comfortably at 4.0 speed.

• 2barkley Rookie 45 posts since
    May 19, 2008

Jennifer don't quit just go at your own pace. The "weeks" are just guidlines. I have fallen behind most in this group as I have had to repeat weeks and days. I did week 4 twice and did w5d1 twice. I ran w5d2 yesterday and wasn't able to complete the last 8 minutes so I broke it down into 5 and 3. I'm not going to try the 20 minutes yet as I know it will be too much. I think I will move on to week six and continue with the intervals.

Heather

• 2barkley Rookie 45 posts since
    May 19, 2008

Congratulations Kim!!! You did fantastic!

Heather

• Fooseberry Rookie 51 posts since
    Aug 17, 2007

So I am back and I survived  a 5K. I was very nervous. I forgot my directions at home and was getting later by the minute. I finally found the place and had just enough time to get my stuff- T shirt and things to the car and stretch before they were calling people to the start.

I was also surrounded by "runners" sprinting across a parking lot to warm up, Spandex running clothes, etc. The first place winner 16:00- I mean come on a car drives that fast.

Anyway while I am waiting and people are gathering tighter a girl behind me say " Oh and Allen street is like this...." and hold her hand like vertical. Don't bother to run it just walk. It was like that- I did walk it as I could walk it in longer strides and walked faster than I had been running. All in all I walked Allen Street and another last bit of an uphill. I definately think if it had been flat I could have run the whole thing.

My time- 35:27 they listed it a 11:26 pace.

I am thrilled with that. I NEVER would have thought I could run a 5K!!!!!!

• Bardley Rookie 14 posts since
    Dec 19, 2007

Well done both of you, just doing a race is a big achievment, I had a 5K lined up for September, but i'm now going on vacation that week so will have to wait until next year, i've got a race lined up for then too, just waiting for the entry online to start.

I did my W7D1 on Saturday, I always do that run at about 9pm but do the other 2 runs of the week at 6:30am, so whether that made a difference I don't know but my legs really struggled. About half way round, my muscles felt like they about to fall off and I felt that I didn't have any choice but to stop, but I ploughed on and did actually manage to run the whole way...somehow!

With only a few minutes left, 3 people and a dog were walking in front of me and I couldn't get past as there were walls down one side and cars down the other so I crossed the road, but as I wanted to go up the next street I had to pick my pace up to get in front of them and then cross back over, my legs actually felt a lot better when I was running quicker, but my heart rate and breathing start complaining then, but I managed to do about an extra minute at a fairly quick pace (<10:00min/mi) so that made up for the really slow pace for the rest of the run.

It was a bit annoying as W6D3 didn't feel that bad and I expected it to be easier than that, did anyone else find it harder?

There was something else that was probably a contributing factor, I had new trainers. I have been looking at finding the right trainers for the way I run and as I didn't want to go to a running shop I relied on information that said to look at how your old trainers were wearing out. The made me out to be a 'neutral runner'. I just hope these didn't hurt my legs because they were the wrong sort but because it was the first time I wore them running and my feet hadn't adjusted properly. My old Nike trainers don't seem to have any shape to the insole but the new ones do, so I hope that is the problem. I'll alternate between the 2 for the next few runs.

Between Saturday night and Tuesday morning I usualy use those days as rest days and don't do a lot really. This weekend I really wanted to get out on my old Mountain Bike just to see what it's like as i'm considering buying a new road bike to go along side the running. I only went 2.74 miles, a lot of that was up hill, and that really ached my legs but in my thighs rather than my calfs.

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...