Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11149 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2008 11:34 AM by Jen Topper 1 2 Previous Next
twins0302 Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 15, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 15, 2008 10:28 AM

too soon to run a 1/2 marathon?

Hi Everyone,

I am on week five of the couch to 5K from coolrunning.com. There is a half marathon on Oct 11 I want to run. That would mean I would finish my couch to 5K program the third week of July and jump right into the build up for the half-marathon.  Prior to the couch to 5K I had taken about two years off from my running. Having a goal is helping me to stay motivated. I have planned to use Hal Higdon's 12-week Half Marathon Training program for Novice's which requires you to be able to run 3 miles 3-4 times per week before starting, which is where the couch to 5K ends. Am I crazy and setting myself up for an injury? Or do you think this is something I should realistically be able to do provided I pay attention to how my body is doing? Thanks for your input.

Twins0302

• butterflykisses68 Amateur 16 posts since
    May 28, 2008
    1. Jun 15, 2008 10:41 AM (in response to twins0302)
    Re: too soon to run a 1/2 marathon?
    Only you can really know what your body can and can't handle.  I just completed my first 5K run today, and for me, I know that I need to complete some more before I even think about doing a 1/2 marathon.  But everybody is different.  I think as long as you are healthy and in relatively decent shape, I don't see why you shouldn't do it if you think you can.  But I think I'd ask my doctor first and see what he/she has to say about it.
    Robin

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jun 15, 2008 12:36 PM (in response to twins0302)

I think you would be able to do it, given your prior running experience and that Higdon's program starts where the C25K program ends.  Just take the increases gradually and remember that you're not trying to set any records.

Len

Len

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jun 15, 2008 6:43 PM (in response to twins0302)

Welcome to active.com!

You have 17 weeks to train which should be enough time to build up a sufficient base to complete a half-marathon.  As long as you build up your mileage steadily and gradually with an easy week each month, you should be fine.  Focus on your weekly long runs and remember that your body gets stronger only when you allow it recovery time to rebuild and repair muscle tissue.  It may not be the most pleasant running experience of your life, but you'll be able to finish.  Which half are you planning to run?  I'll be running the Baltimore Marathon on October 11.  Let us know if you have any more questions or comments.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

• NewbieJ Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 11, 2008
    4. Jun 16, 2008 12:41 PM (in response to twins0302)

I sure hope you're able to do it. I don't think it's too soon. I'm doing my first 5K in August, and will continue training for a half marathon in November. As you, I feel if I have this goal set in mind, I will continue training.

Best of luck!

• Brandon Cushman Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 3, 2008
    5. Jun 16, 2008 3:27 PM (in response to twins0302)

I would do it. I ran my first marathon after running for my first time just a month and a half before it took place. If anything just take it easy and listen to what your body tells you. I think it would be worth a try and based on what you said it shouldn't be a problem to finish for you.

• ronica.werner@hickam.af.m Rookie 1 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    6. Jun 16, 2008 7:06 PM (in response to twins0302)

I think you can do it, 17 weeks is a long time to prep.  I just did my first half marathon yesterday.  I run 3 miles 4-5 times a week and I figured if I ran at a slow pace it shouldn't be that difficult.  I will say this, if you do it, prepare.  Eat the right things prior and take it seriously.  I didn't think it would be that bad, I had to walk after mile 7 and ran/walked until mile 12.  My body ached everywhere, and for 4 hours afterward I felt like dying, I was seriously ill, sick to my stomach and in a lot of pain not related to muscle aches...I did not carbo load.  So preping your body in the right way will make a difference.  I am doing my second half marathon in two weeks and I will prep correctly, so hopefully I don't feel completely awful afterwards, because that's not a feeling I want again.  I do know it was related to food because when I ate some sugar the way I felt increased about 50% for the better.

• cjamesrnrun Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 17, 2008
    7. Jun 17, 2008 12:21 AM (in response to twins0302)

I hope everything goes well for you because I want to do a 1/2 marathon in november and then at Disney in January and I'm scared to death! I'm running 5 days a week....and training alone..because I live in a small community..Plus I'm 46---soon to be 47....

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Jun 17, 2008 4:38 AM (in response to cjamesrnrun)
    cjamesrnrun wrote:

I hope everything goes well for you because I want to do a 1/2 marathon in november and then at Disney in January and I'm scared to death! I'm running 5 days a week....and training alone..because I live in a small community..Plus I'm 46---soon to be 47....

It's quite understandable to be scared, but you'll be able to do it if you train properly.  You have plenty of time and, as I stated in my previous post, you simply need to gradually build your miles and incorporate enough easy/recovery activities into your schedule.  If you are already running 5 days a week it sounds like you have a great starting point to build on.  You may want to look into something like the SmartCoach program that is linked on the Runner's World website.  It will provide you with a good idea of what your training schedule should look like.  I also training alone and I know what that's like: it can be hard to get going on some days and you need to have inner discipline, but at least you never have to worry about your partner/s showing up late, canceling, etc.  As for your age, that seems fairly average for participants in marathons and half-marathons.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    9. Jun 17, 2008 8:35 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

I am also planning to run my first 1/2 marathon in November, I'll be 46 then.  I am running 20 miles/week now and am up to 8 miles on my long runs.  I'm still a little nervous when I contemplate the 1/2 marathon distance!   The thing is that I don't expect to increase my mileage, speed or distance during the next two months (July/August) because it is so hot here in Atlanta.  I don't plan to really start training until September when the weather cools down a bit.  That will give me about 8-10 weeks to get from where I'm at to 13.1 miles. 

I probably tend to be on the conservative side but for ME personally, I don't think I would attempt the 1/2 until I had some 10K experience (which I do).  But everybody is different, and some people might be able to go from 3 miles to 13 miles in a couple of months with no problem.  For myself, though, I would probably give it some more time.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    10. Jun 17, 2008 11:15 AM (in response to Marykb)

ronica, hopefully you're getting in some runs longer than 3 miles (it isn't clear from your post).  Longer training runs will help greatly in getting you through the half-marathon feeling better.

cjames and mary, you have lots of time to train for a half in November.  With a good 5-day-a-week base, the main thing you need is to extend your long run.

As Jay said, check into something like SmartCoach at www.runnersworld.com to give you some guidelines on your training.  You don't have to follow their plan exactly but it can help you to be well prepared.

Len

Len

• jhauser42 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    12. Jun 18, 2008 11:05 AM (in response to twins0302)

Twins,

You can definitely do this.  I am 42 years old and have been running for just about 1 year now.  My first run was the Corporate Challenge (3.5 miles) which I did not train for.  Ran the whole thing, felt great and have been running since. 

On May 25th I ran my first 1/2 marathon.  I was planning on entering with a relay team but that fell through and I decided to do the 1/2.  This also happened to be my first ever run of more than 5.5 miles, so I had no clue what to expect.  I started out nice and slowly and got stronger and stronger as the race went on.  My last mile was 1 minute faster than my first and I finished in 2:01:07.  I am now shooting for my 1st full marathon on October 26th at the Niagara Falls International.

You have quite some time to train for the 1/2 you are doing.  Just be confident and do the training and you will be fine!  Just remember that you are there to have fun!

Joe

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    13. Jun 23, 2008 5:56 PM (in response to jhauser42)

Joe....are you serious, man?  You ran a half marathon without having ran more than 5.5 miles and you finished strong in 2:01?  I think a performance like that would be an exception rather than the rule.  In other words I don't think the fact that you were able to do something so amazing means that most people would (or even should) be able to do it.    I definitely wouldn't try that myself or encourage anyone else to try it with that expectation.   I want a solid training base of several months including AT LEAST a 12 mile run before I attempt it.

(But hey, more power to you and good luck on your marathon)

• jhauser42 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    14. Jun 23, 2008 6:55 PM (in response to Marykb)

Marykb,

You are correct.  That probably is the exception, not the rule.  As I said, the only reason I did it was that my relay team fell through at the last minuteand I really wanted to be involved in the event.  I definitely do not recommend trying to do the 1/2 that way, it was more a way of showing that with the time the person has for training that they can definitely do it.  I apologize if I worded it poorly and made it sound like I recommend doing that.  As I said, do the training and have fun!  I am also training a lot more for my marathon in October and hope to do be able to finish it without feeling completely wiped out.

Joe

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...