Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

82261 Views 521 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2008 2:44 PM by dave48326 Go to original post 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 35 Previous Next
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    390. Jun 21, 2008 5:11 PM (in response to stargal)
    Re: New folks

Here is a pretty good article on using a heart rate monitor: http://www.marathonguide.com/training/articles/HeartMonitorTraining.cfm

It describes heart rate zones, how to figure out what they are for you, and how to use them. You will need your maximum heart rate (MHR) at least. There are several simple formulas for MHR (226 minus age is the simplest for women). You can also do a test on your own or at a lab ($$), described in the article. Later you may want to take resting heart rate (RHR) into account, also described. Last but not least, if your HRM gets an observed heart rate higher than your MHR, that is your new MHR. MHR is pretty much fixed, except it tends to decrease slightly as you get older.  (Except it also varies by sport.  The formula above is for running.)  RHR varies and should get lower with better conditioing.

Len

Len

• Steelers21 Legend 592 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    391. Jun 21, 2008 6:11 PM (in response to stargal)

stargal wrote:

Hello Len, I have no idea whether it gives a continuous reading, but I'll check on that. I'll also have to check out the chest strap models too since you and Steelers both use them. To be honest with you I have no idea what reading I'm even supposed to be looking for. Can yall help? Do I want to keep it at a certain number for a certain amount of time? I was hoping there would be directions inside when I got one, LOLLLL This is why I'm a newbie, LOLLL

Thanks for your help Steelers.

I completed day 2 of week 5 of the C25K. I can't believe I was able to run two 8 minute runs. When I first started I couldn't make it through 90 seconds! Amazing!! Monday I will do my first 20 minute run without stopping. I'm a lil intimidated of the though, but I'm just gonna push myself like I did today and I'll get there. WOOOO HOOOO!!!

Hope everyone's having a great weekend. HAPPY RUNNING!

(1) No problem.  Happy to give info.

(2) Len has posted a web site with pretty good information on heart rate zones.  If you buy a monitor, the instruction manual will do a good job of explaining the various heart rate zones, what zones are good for what result (burning fat vs. aerobic fitness), etc.  The Polar is more affordable than Garmin, since Garmin has a GPS to measure distance, pace, etc. down to the foot.  I recently bought the Garmin 405 and it is amazing - simply amazing.  Tons of information about heart rate zones, speed in certain heart rate zones, etc.

(3) Congrats on the progress with your running.  It sounds like you will be going 5k without stopping pretty soon.  Are you signed up for a 5k?

• stargal Expert 52 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    392. Jun 22, 2008 12:50 PM (in response to Steelers21)

Len thnks so much for the website. That really helped explain the hrm alot.  I'm thinking I'll get the chest strap model. It sounds like it would be more accurate.

Steelers thank you also.  I haven't signed up for a 5K yet I'm thinking I will this fall. Its just way to hot here right now. I don't want to feel like I'm going to die in my first race and then never want to do it again, LOLLL  But the Irongirl 5K and 10K is next April and I've already decided I will be doing that one also. Hoping I'll be able to do the 10K by next April.

Tomorrow will be my first 20 minute run. Wish me luck!

Have a wonderful week everyone. HAPPY RUNNING!

• Mandy_C Expert 54 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    393. Jun 23, 2008 5:58 PM (in response to stargal)

Haven't been on here in a while so I am just letting people know that I am still alive. My best friend got married on Saturday and I went up Thursday to help and got back Sunday. I was exhausted I got to bed at 4 early sunday morning and didn't sleep very well I was too hot, that could be because she had an open bar at her wedding. I am going back up the 3rd and staying till the 13 so I can relax and get away and have fun and in the mean time I hope to keep running. Hope everyone is doing great!

• TKP1954 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    394. Jun 23, 2008 7:13 PM (in response to Mandy_C)

Hi All,

Its "HOT" here in Vegas. Last week was my first week hitting the pavement. I now have logged four days of outdoor running. I'm working into a system of alternating my run's outdoors and on the treadmill. That seems to be helping with my "to be expected" soreness! I actually ran just over two miles today outdoors. May not sound like a big deal to most runners, but I'm thrilled with my progress. I'm at a point where if I don't do some type of running each day, I feel as though I'm missing out on something for the day.

I've been reading the Heart Monitoring stuff and I'm not sure I understand "why" its necessary? With the extensive heat I'm running in (at 6:30 AM above 80 degrees, I feel I'm not trying to get my heart rate to a point that may over heat myself?? I would appreciate your thoughts on that.

Keep up the good work to all. This site is becoming part of my daily therapy...

Thanks

Tom.

• daydreams76 Amateur 30 posts since
    May 21, 2008
    395. Jun 24, 2008 6:11 AM (in response to MammaBird)

Hi,

Yep..the heat is turning up here in kansas city area as well.  Although not as bad as there...it was 75 at 5am this morning and it'll be a steady climb to about 85. I've been working on the treadmill for the past few runs and have gotten upto week 5 on the C25K program and have worked upto 3miles...although my time is around 45mins now on that. But I figured its a start and I can build from there. I've been getting up at 4.30 and 5am and running early morning so I can be at work 8am too. I work about 40miles away and commute and have managed to make adjustments two days a week so I can find time to run..3rd day is usually saturday or sunday morning and I'm hoping to start doing that outside. I'm heading off to Massachusetts for vacation next week, but hoping to stick to the program as much as I can. At least I'll get my walking in for sure. Plan is to do a 5k coming up in august!

Readin everyones progress on this site has really been a strong motivator for me and is keeping me going strong!! Thanks again!

Jan 24, 2008
    396. Jun 24, 2008 3:45 PM (in response to daydreams76)

Hello everyone! I'm verrrrry excited to announce I have FINALLY finished week 5 of the C25K.  I have never in my 41 years of life run for 20 minutes not stop, but I did it!! WOOOO HOOOO!  I start week 6 tomorrow and am very excited about getting through my training program and then building up on my speed.

I know what ya'll mean about the heat. Down here in Florida it was 83 degrees at 6am this morning and the humidity was unreal.  I will continue my training on the treadmill for awhile then move it outdoors maybe in October, LOLLLL

HAPPY RUNNING!!

• Vicki S. Legend 262 posts since
    Aug 31, 2007
    397. Jun 29, 2008 10:12 PM (in response to stargal)

Hey everyone.  Wow Congrats Stargal I am very proud of you.  I signed up for the 4ht of july 5k  here in Vegas.   I will be doing it iwth my son so we aren't going to break any speed records just have fun.

Work has been hectic and my hours are such I haven't been able to do my ironing! That's what the cleanears are for (LOL)  We ran once last week. and celebrated Jason's 12th birthday on the 21st.

TPK  I hear you on the heat. 

Mandy glad to hear you are ok.   Keep up the good work.

Welcome all of the other new people to active.

Vicki

• Oscar's MumMum Amateur 36 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008
    398. Jun 30, 2008 6:09 AM (in response to MammaBird)

Hi All.  I did my second 5K yesterday.  This one was a trail run.  My time was actually 2 minutes exactly longer than the first 5K I ran.  Tell me it is normal for trail times to be slower than road times.  It was very discouraging.  I had serious thoughts of giving up running after this one.  My cardio strength seems to be decreasing the longer I've been at this.  A month ago I was able to run the 20 min. end of week 5 run w/o walking.  Now I'm lucky to get 6-8 minutes before I have to walk.  I've decreased my meds hoping that would help, but no luck yet.  I've read that swimming would help, but I don't swim at all.  I sink like a rock.  Any other ideas how to build my cardio endurance?  I need some success. Oh yeah, my time was 39:09 and I'm only 32 yrs old.  Pretty pathetic huh?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    399. Jun 30, 2008 6:41 AM (in response to Oscar's MumMum)

You most definitely can expect a trail run to take longer than the same distance on the road. Your footing is trickier, you have to be conscious of every step and iIt's just plain harder. There are any number of factors that can be affecting your endurance, meds being one of them. Certain meds I have taken have made me feel very sluggish. Luckily there was a readily available alternative that didn't have that effect. Other things that can cause problems are illness (colds, etc.), allergies (and the meds for that) and mental stress in your life (job and family). Talk to your doctor about medications you are taking and consider whether any other factors are making you feel tired. Good luck with your running.

Len

Len

• TKP1954 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    400. Jun 30, 2008 6:47 AM (in response to Oscar's MumMum)

Hi Everyone,

I hope you all had a great weekend and got in lots of miles?? Someone once said "no pain, no gain". Well I'm a member in good standings of that club. Unfortunately, I don't believe I'm suffering the right kind of pain? Last week was a good week for running, I managed to get five days of running in. However, on Saturday morning a pain in my right knee developed to the point that I spent most of the weekend with my leg up and on ice. As of this morning it is still very sore so I plan on calling the doctor. With just walking being painful, I don't see a very active running week ahead of me. My wife thinks "I did too much, too fast". She just might be right?? Congrat to those of you who completed your "first's" over the weekend and keep up the good work. I'll keep you all posted on my progress. I'm really down about this and hope I can turn the corner quickly. I miss my morning run..

Take care all...

Tom 

• trish1963 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 30, 2008
    401. Jun 30, 2008 12:00 PM (in response to stargal)

Hi, I'm new here!

I have to admit that i'm sitting here kind of teary after reading all the couch to 5k success stories. I have one of those as well!  I spent a good deal of my life overweight and not active. I've lost 126 pounds, and I've discovered myself. I am a runner! I've done a couple of 5ks, and I have another one this friday. I'm hoping to run the entire course this time!

Anyway, just wanted to make my presence known, I guess, and let y'all know how inspirational you ALL are, whether you realize it or not.

Thanks!

• Oscar's MumMum Amateur 36 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008
    402. Jun 30, 2008 1:37 PM (in response to trish1963)

Trish, you are amazing!  Congrats on the weight loss and good luck Friday.  I also hope to one day be able to run an entire 5K course.  Let us know how you do.

• trish1963 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 30, 2008
    403. Jun 30, 2008 5:52 PM (in response to Oscar's MumMum)

Nah, not amazing --- not really --- just determined, but thank you so much for the kind words!  I'll be sure and let y'all know how it goes.

Jan 24, 2008
    404. Jul 3, 2008 4:22 AM (in response to Vicki S.)

OK I don't think I'm EVER gonna get through the C25K plan. I finally got my neck fixed and NOW I fractured my hand while doiing some work training! The Dr sAYS no running for now.  I can't believe it! I never get injured while working then go to training and fracture my first bone in 41 years UNBELIEVABLE!

I hope everyone else is doing great!  Vicki I'm so excited you and your son are doing 5K tomorrow. It will be alot of fun. Let me know how it goes.

HAPPY JULY 4TH EVERYONE!

1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 35 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...