Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2701 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2008 8:12 AM by sheakm
sheak Amateur 15 posts since
Oct 4, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 21, 2007 1:56 PM

Running After Neck Surgery

Wow it has been a long time since I have been here.  On August 8th I had neck surgery.  They took the disk out of my neck in the C5/6 and C6/7 gaps.  Disks were replaced with donor bones from cadavers and then titanium plates and screws were out in my neck to hold it all together.  Surgery went well and I was home the next day.  Pain was not that bad except when i had to get up and down from the recliner.  I spent most of the first two weeks (including sleeping) in a recliner.  Every day got better and better for me.  And as a result of the surgery the pain down my left arm and numbness in my left hand is gone.  It is amazing how cool it is to use both arms after 3 years of not really being able to.

For disability I got two weeks off work completely and then another 10 weeks of part time work. Two days in the office and the rest from home for a total of about 25-30 hours a week. This was great and I am ready to retire anytime someone wants to give me a bunch of money.

At my 13 week appointment I was cleared to exercise. Until then I had been allowed to walk but walking is too boring to me and I could never do more than 25 minutes. The night before this appointment I went out and bought new runnign shoes and the afternoon of the appointment I went to the gym and ran. I am being careful and taking my return as slowly as possible. Sunday I ran 3.5 miles in 33 minutes or so. Most days I do a semi Galloway type training by doing a minute of walking every 7 minutes.

Still it feels great to be able to break a sweat again and get out there and do something. As my workouts progress I will start to post more often and hopefully things continue on the right track. I do have a goal race in mind but will wait a bit before telling anyone. I know I am almost 50 and need to be careful and listen to my body. Unfortunately I have the mind of an 11 year old so it is difficult.

Hope everyone here has been running and racing well and I hope to be back here more often.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...