Skip navigation

1413 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2008 3:35 PM by YeahJohn RSS
TriTony17 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 24, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 24, 2008 10:07 AM

Help with my running?

I recently just completed my third sprint distance tri of the season (and ever).  I am racing in the 20-24 age group.  I trained hard and it certainly showed on the swim and bike as I was one of the first in from the bike, however, my 8:30 pace on the 4-mile run dropped me way down in the standings.  I've never been an endurance athlete but seem to have some natural ability, how do these guys run 6 - 7 minute miles and how can I do it too?  Any training ideas?

-Tony

• CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    1. Jun 24, 2008 10:32 AM (in response to TriTony17)
    Re: Help with my running?

Your best is negative splits and negative runs when you work on the running part of Tri's.  It is simple, go out for your run and run a little slower going out and then run back faster.  I try and run say 10 miles on an out and back course.  I run out at say 8:00/mi and then run back at a 7:30 pace.  Just come back faster than you went out and always try and finish strong.  you will build up endurance and the ability to stay fast when you are tired. 

Spencer.

Moseleysa@hotmail.com

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jun 24, 2008 10:39 AM (in response to TriTony17)

two things: 1) build a good endurance base then practice running fast - tempo runs or hill repeats or interval workouts. they should help

2) BRICk workouts - a bike ride followed immediately by a run - gets your legs used to transitioning blood flow from biking muscles to running muscles- sounds easy but it ain't. the quicker you find your running legs the better the run will be.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• YeahJohn Pro 103 posts since
    Jun 14, 2008
    3. Jun 24, 2008 3:35 PM (in response to TriTony17)

I am training for my first triathlon, but am a runner so will try to help

you. I just set pace benchmarks and go after them. I did run in high school so

I think having that training behind me has helped. Maybe join a local track

club or running club?

1. Work out on a track: Get on the track once a week and do speed work.

There are lots of speed drills you can do (look around online). I like Pyramids:

100m hard 100easy 200m hard 100easy 300m hard 100easy the 400m hard 100easy all

the way to a peak at 800m then go back down. You get the drift, I would do

track work up to 3200m. (just like if I want to drop my 800m time on the swim I

would do 8 x 100m with 10 seconds rest under my set 100m pace time). If your

burst speed is not there you won’t run faster, so maybe try a set of 8 x 100m

sub 15 seconds on each.

2. It seems like you have guts when it comes to the swim and ride. You just

have to learn to push your body to the limit when it comes to the run. When I

have a hard mile I always figure that ultra marathoners probably have a hard 10

or 20 consecutive miles. So if it doesn’t kill them, it won’t kill them. Only

push it if you are putting in the time. If you do your medium and long runs at

an easy pace twice and week, then train at race pace or do speed work on your

short run day you should be fine (lots of people will say don’t push too hard,

I disagree; just no one wants to be responsible for your running injury.

Everyone you see winning their age groups is pushing insanely hard).

3. Try and bench mark at a sub 6 minute mile, then lead up to training at

that bench mark for 4 x 1600 on the track. This well help you get used to your

race pace. That will get you closer to taking out your age group.

4. Get something different for race day. Race shoes of some kind help, only

wear them on race day. I drop 10 seconds a mile when I am in my race shoes (I

am sure it’s mental but I’ll take the faster times).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points