Skip navigation

19696 Views 60 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2008 9:50 AM by FormerBAM 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
Dec 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 24, 2008 5:54 PM

Beer for my horses, whiskey for my men!

It has been a while since we skirted this topic and with the many new faces I decided to start a good beer thread.  Tonight I had a beer that I picked up in California.  It's a brew I have never heard of but man is it good.  I love me an Amber Ale and this one is good.  It is a nice beer that drinks well cold or just a bit below room temperature.

Jumping Cow Amber Ale

My utmost facorite brew is Shiner Bock and I also love Yunegling and Alaskan Amber Ale.  What say you?

Jimmy

|

This place is like home!!!!

• kmagaleski Legend 739 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    1. Jun 24, 2008 5:57 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)
    Re: Beer for my horses, whiskey for my men!

sadly, i am a busch light  person. my husband and friends love that i am so cheap to provide for. tacky, i know, but the other beers are too heavy for me.

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    2. Jun 24, 2008 5:58 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

Bill likes the Blanche de Chambly, and Fin du Monde also by Uni brewery, they're French Canadian.

• badgergrl Legend 738 posts since
    Jan 17, 2008
    3. Jun 24, 2008 6:30 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I'm not picky when it comes to beer, but the lighter the better. Although I am quite the fan of anything Leinie's.....Summer Shandy, Sunset Wheat, Berrywiess. Also anything from Schell's Brewery in New Ulm, MN (how can you not like a beer with the same name?). Living in Madison if you don't like Spotted Cow or BlueMoon you are shunned and anything from the local breweries and brew pubs is excellent.

Or I can go for a Miller Lite or Michaelobe Golden Light. Like I said, I'm not picky, just nothing dark.

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    4. Jun 24, 2008 7:22 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

Depends on the season.  Summer time: DeGroen's Weizen (now owned by Fordham?).  I've been all over North America, Canada and Ireland (plus 45 minutes in Mexico once).  This is one of my all-time favorites. Ommegang's Witte Ale and

Spring -- still hung over w/the Guinness, for strength, of course.  But I do like a Boddington Pub Ale.  When in Florida, choice beer tends to be Key West Amber. 

Fall - I'm a pilsner fan early but moving to brown ales later in the season.  No favorites here but as a rule of thumb, I avoid the big breweries.  Sam Adams is about as big as a brewer I can handle.  But to the patriot's honor, Sam Adams has a great selection of beers.  The darker brews come around as well... and I just love a good, cold Smithwicks (Smittiks).  When on the west coast, it's all Alaskan Amber.  Nothing else.  Period.  Ok, if I can't find anything else, I'll take just about anything from Pyramid Brewery.  Back east -- I often look for Saranac products.  IPAs are good for the fall and Dogfish IPA from the Delaware beaches should not be missed.

Winter: Guinness.  Sure, the occasional Smithwicks or for kicks, a black & tan, but Guinness is the best for the cold weather.  For some reason I usually tap into Whitbread Pale Ale as well.  Don't' forget your IPAs (spring and fall as well) as Sierra Nevada seems to lead the charge.

Overall beer to look for no matter what the season: Ommegang's Rare Vos Amber Ale.  It's a tie w/Alaskan Amber in my little black book of beer.

For some reason, my favorite style of beers are also pilsners and bohemians.... but I can't find one I truly love.  I used to brew my own and I think a pilsner I made was the best beer I ever had.  Unfortunately, I didn't let the wort (beer before fermentation) cool enough before pitching the yeast.  This caused the yeast to produce too much alcohol.  Though the beer was incredibly smooth with no after-taste, a friend had one bottle on an empty stomach and said he could put his keys in the ignition and his house would drive up (we took the keys).

Be responsible.  Remember: you're in shape -- you can always run/walk home.

• sgtsiejak Amateur 25 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    5. Jun 24, 2008 7:28 PM (in response to RunnerWags)

After three years in Japan I'm a KIRIN ICHIBAN fan, man thats a good beer.

• FLKaren Legend 1,195 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    7. Jun 24, 2008 7:42 PM (in response to RunnerWags)

TowsonRunner wrote:

Depends on the season. Summer time: DeGroen's Weizen (now owned by Fordham?). I've been all over North America, Canada and Ireland (plus 45 minutes in Mexico once). This is one of my all-time favorites. Ommegang's Witte Ale and

Spring -- still hung over w/the Guinness, for strength, of course. But I do like a Boddington Pub Ale. When in Florida, choice beer tends to be Key West Amber.

Fall - I'm a pilsner fan early but moving to brown ales later in the season. No favorites here but as a rule of thumb, I avoid the big breweries. Sam Adams is about as big as a brewer I can handle. But to the patriot's honor, Sam Adams has a great selection of beers. The darker brews come around as well... and I just love a good, cold Smithwicks (Smittiks). When on the west coast, it's all Alaskan Amber. Nothing else. Period. Ok, if I can't find anything else, I'll take just about anything from Pyramid Brewery. Back east -- I often look for Saranac products. IPAs are good for the fall and Dogfish IPA from the Delaware beaches should not be missed.

Winter: Guinness. Sure, the occasional Smithwicks or for kicks, a black & tan, but Guinness is the best for the cold weather. For some reason I usually tap into Whitbread Pale Ale as well. Don't' forget your IPAs (spring and fall as well) as Sierra Nevada seems to lead the charge.

Overall beer to look for no matter what the season: Ommegang's Rare Vos Amber Ale. It's a tie w/Alaskan Amber in my little black book of beer.

For some reason, my favorite style of beers are also pilsners and bohemians.... but I can't find one I truly love. I used to brew my own and I think a pilsner I made was the best beer I ever had. Unfortunately, I didn't let the wort (beer before fermentation) cool enough before pitching the yeast. This caused the yeast to produce too much alcohol. Though the beer was incredibly smooth with no after-taste, a friend had one bottle on an empty stomach and said he could put his keys in the ignition and his house would drive up (we took the keys).

Be responsible. Remember: you're in shape -- you can always run/walk home.

I didn't put that much thought into buying my house! You are a true beer guy, Mr. Towson!

Dig deep, people, you can do it!
  • RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    8. Jun 24, 2008 8:07 PM (in response to FLKaren)

I didn't put that much thought into buying my house! You are a true beer guy, Mr. Towson!

I know my beer... and my beer knows me.  Now if I can just get rid of this beer-belly before I run into rehab...

Seriously: play it smart with alcohol.

• KrisMCM Pro 137 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    9. Jun 25, 2008 3:58 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

For me, it's a Peroni Nastro Azzuro from italy as an afternoon treat or outdoor event. I like most beers but nothing too light unless by necessity. After a long tough hike I look forward to a Smithwicks (Ireland, I believe). I have been gaining a fondness for a dark beer now and then and Smithwicks is wonderful. Guiness is OK, but pales to Smithwicks in my opinion. We have a "Wing Factory" near by which has 17 taps going. Always fun to grab a 1/2 dozen hotwings and try out one of the beers....course those days are going to be rare now that training has started. 

• Irish Runner77 Legend 780 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    10. Jun 25, 2008 5:20 AM (in response to KrisMCM)

Personally I am a Yuengling fan (duh) although on trail days its usually the Beast or whatever cheep brew the hares & gm have provided....Kirin Ichiban is pretty decent, but did you know that in the US its actually brewed by Anheuser-Busch?

Speaking of AB - anyone following the potential buyout by InBev? It's in the news here quite a bit (as we have an AB Brewery in Williamsburg, as well as two of their theme parks). I'm hoping it doesn't go through, personally - AB is one of the last 'great' American owned breweries (which they use in their marketing quite a bit) and they do a lot of good work outside of just brewing: the theme parks, environmental missions, animal rehabilitation, etc...InBev has already stated that they would do away with some of the 'extranious non-brewing activities'

MCM Finisher 2007, 2008, 2009
    CMM Finisher 2008
    Goofy Challenge Finisher 2009, 2010
    Pittsburgh Marathon Finisher 2009
    RnR Seattle Finisher 2009

Richmond Finisher 2009

RnR Las Vegas Finisher 2009

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    11. Jun 25, 2008 6:47 AM (in response to Irish Runner77)

Mhmmm let's see, what's my favorite beer. I guess I'd have to put Newcastle on top and then here are some of my other favs:

Dos Equis Lager

Carta Blanca

Corona

Tecate

Shiner Bock

Anchor Steam

Guinness

Barenuckle Stout

Bud Light

Miller Lite

Modelo

Sol

Fosters

Kirin Ichiban

Sapporo

Sam Adams

Totonka(B J's Brewery)

Then of course we have our hard liquors, which that alone is another long list....LOL

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    12. Jun 25, 2008 9:03 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

I'm a Bass girl. (I'm guessing only one of you actually knew that) But I drink my fair share of Yeungling. I enjoyed 2 Blue Moons the night before the 10 miler. And occassionally I like a nice Hefferweisen.

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • kmagaleski Legend 739 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    13. Jun 25, 2008 4:38 PM (in response to cplmtz0121)

i JUST DONT GET IT- BUSCH LIGHT IS NOT ON YOUR LIST.....ANYWHERE- whats with that? only kidding.

• HuffnPuff34 Amateur 8 posts since
    May 19, 2008
    14. Jun 26, 2008 6:47 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

Such a good topic! Free beer at the end of races was what actually got me into running. I am a homebrewer and have to say that I prefer a good hand crafted brew, but for the labels I go for regional favorites.

West Coast - Redhook, Pyramid, Pike Place Ale, Widmer Hefe (Draft)

Midwest - Sprecher, Langenkugel

South - Abita

East Coast - I guess Sam Adams, Brooklyn Brewery

Follow up question - what are your favorite races / beer events? Im not sure Louisiana can be beat. My favs are: The Crescent City Classic 10K (New Orleans) which features all you can drink/eat post race with full entertainment in Spring, and the Norco Bonne Carre Spillway 3 mile Trail Run (outside New Orleans) , again all you can drink/eat post race and an out of control post-post race party at the Norco Spillway Bar.

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...