Skip navigation

10187 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2009 1:08 PM by Immer treu 1 2 Previous Next
Jeff Le Pro 67 posts since
Apr 4, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 1, 2008 8:04 AM

Keeping Motivated and Fighting Burnout

Hi All,

Today I had really tough run.  At eight miles, it wasn't necessarily the distance this time, but I think I've been a little sore for some time.  Anyway, it was the most worn out I've felt for some time and I think I'm starting to lose a bit of spirit and motivation.  Lately I've been feeling a little frustrated that I haven't been improving as quickly as I'd like.

I haven't been running for very long so I've been very very excited for much of it.  Today was certainly an exception and I'm worried that I'll be less inclined to just push through a tough run next time.

Since I've been here, you all have been so positive and encouraging to one another.  It's a very inspiring place, especially when others think, "what, you're crazy to run X distance."

So I have to ask: To all, how do you keep motivated?  How do you fight burnout?  If you catch it, how do you bounce back?

• Charlie!2 Legend 1,128 posts since
    Jan 21, 2008
    1. Jul 1, 2008 8:43 AM (in response to Jeff Le)
    Re: Keeping Motivated and Fighting Burnout

I motivate myself by setting goals.  You can have one goal or many goals, but I find the more goals I have, the more motivated I become.  Make it challenging.  Then design your training plan to attain those goals. 

If you feel you're burning out, step down the pace of your training or racing a bit and change it up.  Do some cross training or run a fun race.  Join a running club and volunteer for some of the races.

Also, keep it fun!

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jul 1, 2008 8:48 AM (in response to Jeff Le)

I think a lot of folks have this problem to some degree now & then. So far, whenever I've felt a little burned out on running it's been temporary.  Some suggestions... run a different route, run at a different time of day, do some cross training, plan breaks from running into your training (that way you're doing them on purpose and not just slacking off then feeling guilty about it and wondering if you'll ever start up again), run with people, run a race now and then, run with an ipod, put new music on your ipod, find someone in your life who will encourage your running, think about why you're running in the first place, remember all the physical and mental benefits you're gaining from running, don't expect constant fast improvement (you hit plateaus sometimes), enjoy the experience rather than focusing too much on a specific goal....

Chocolate is very nice.
  • DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    3. Jul 1, 2008 8:49 AM (in response to Jeff Le)

Jeff, as I said to someone else before, running is a lot like other things in life. You wouldn't expect to be happy every single day between here and October. You want the majority of days to be happy days (I assume), but once in a while something will go wrong and it'll put you in a bad mood and that's ok and perfectly normal. So that's a lot like running. Not every run will be good (mentally and/or physically) or fast (and this is true for long runs and short runs). But the key is to realize that this is normal and as long as you keep the balance so that you're having more good runs than bad runs then you're doing it right. If that balance tips and you're having more bad runs than good, then it's time to look at factors like training intensity, sleep, diet, etc. but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

As for motivation, I've learned the only way to get myself running is to sign up for a marathon. The other distances I could pretty much go out and wing (not that I'd run them well, but I'd finish them), but I can't do that with a marathon. So every morning I get up knowing in October I'm holding myself accountable and what I do today will determine how much fun I have in October. In terms of burnout, when I'm truly burned out (and not just lazy/busy/etc) I take a day or two off. Better to lose a day or two than overtrain or destroy your knees because of sloppy running form (I learned that lesson last year and have the pictures if you'd like!) And I find by the end of those few days I really want to be back out there again.

I've also realized that running for me is like therapy. When I'm in a bad mood, I go running to get out of my house and my head and try to leave it on the pavement. When I'm in a good mood, the grass never looks as green and the sky never looks as blue as when you're running by it. Then there are weeks like this week where I'm out of town and it would have been easy to have left my running shoes behind. But instead I was able to meet friends, see the sights and really enjoy my time here in part because of my hobby. I'm a lucky girl to be a runner! 

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jul 1, 2008 8:50 AM (in response to Jeff Le)

I agree with Charlie.  Having a goal is key.  My physical therapist told me that I HAD to do more cross training.  So, I went out and signed up for a triathlon!

I also think that it helps to run with other people.  I have a couple of running buddies that I meet at 5AM during the week.  If I wake up and don't feel like getting out of bed, I know they are waiting for me.  So, I sleepily pull on my running shoes and head out the door.  Within 10 minutes, I am awake and happy to get my miles in for the day.

I have also come to the forum for motivation at times, either by directly asking for it or indirectly through reading about everyone's experiences.  The forum members are incredible!

Grab a straw, get out there, and run one mile at a time!!

I will run for cupcakes!!

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    5. Jul 1, 2008 9:29 AM (in response to Jeff Le)

Hi Jeff,

Charlie, Kat, Jenn and Leigh have made valid points. No one is going to have a good training run every time out. There are all kinds of variables that figure into the overall outcome - how you feel that day, the weather, etc. I like the idea of having goals within a given run.  My program is set up to hit specific split times.  There are days when I won't get them all, so I try to make sure my average split time is in line with the goal for that run.  If that doesn't happen, I at least want to do my best to ensure the last split that I run is on the number. If I just have a lousy day all together, there is always the next workout.  Changing up the route is also a good idea. I get a chance to do that when I travel out of town.  But I think my biggest motivator is trying to learn from every workout, and chances are I can learn from a run that was subpar, which will ultimately help me in the long run (no pun intended).  I break things down with respect to my preparation and my focus and use those lessons to have a better run the next time out.  So as long as you are learning something from each run, that's a good thing. I hope that helps.  Talk to you soon.

Karl

Karl

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Jul 1, 2008 2:59 PM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

There is a lot of good advice in the posts above. Let me reiterate a couple. There will be bad days. Learn something from every run, in particular the bad ones. Back off periodically, and remember why you run - the overall goal, not just the immediate one. I run to stay healthy, and as a sideline I love running races. I'm not good at them, but they are fun.

When all else seems to fail, read through this: Why do you still run?

Len

Len

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    7. Jul 1, 2008 5:44 PM (in response to Jeff Le)

Hi Jeff.  Let me jump on the advice bandwagon....

It's simple really.  All that is required is a straw.  The bigger, the better.  This is a necessity for training for the marathon.  And this worked wonders for me last year.  Every time I didn't want to or I wanted to quit, I'd just stick that straw in my mouth and told myself to "SUCK IT UP AND RUN!"  I'm just kidding of course.   This is an inside joke, if you haven't caught on yet.  Seriously it did help me to say those 5 words.  Especially when I didn't want to run in the early mornings.

On the more serious side, I totally understand and sympathize with your feelings.  Most of us have gotten stuck in a rut throughout our training.  I was in a major one last year and expect to feel it again before October.  It's just part of the journey and it is completely normal.  There will be good days, bad days, strong ones, weak runs, fast and slow times.  Remember that not everyone can run a marathon.  It takes a lot of work and dedication.  Take heart! You are doing the hard work that will help you endure 26.2 miles.  Take each day as it comes and don't worry about your next run.   All the days you learn to "suck it up" will pay off on October 26th. 

Here's wishing you lots of motivation for the rest of the summer,

Ruby

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• KrisMCM Pro 137 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    8. Jul 1, 2008 6:20 PM (in response to Jeff Le)

Hey Jeff,

I was there a couple of days ago afetr a race. Just a terrible deal. Part because of things out of my control, but also somestupid running on my part. This group has pulled me through it. I am also training along with my sister, though she is downin NC. She helps me out when things are low for me. I am new to running as well, having just started last November. Always learning lessons. Learn from this run, turn it into your advantage. And like they said...grab the straw and SUCK IT UP and get out there. You'll do great. I also agree about running a different route. I do so quite a bit. It adds a since of challenge and I get a good feeling of accomplishment from it. Hang in there!

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    9. Jul 1, 2008 6:39 PM (in response to KrisMCM)

On the days when you know you have to run but can't get out of bed, aren't motivated to leave the office at a reasonable time or otherwise see something you like on TV, remember these are the days you become successful in your goal.

Set time out for yourself; eat right; have your rest; get plenty of fluids... and go like he11.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    10. Jul 1, 2008 8:25 PM (in response to Jeff Le)

Nuff said......

Jan 23, 2008
    11. Jul 1, 2008 8:29 PM (in response to Immer treu)

What a privilege we have to share a course with the Hoyts!

Jan 23, 2008
    12. Jul 2, 2008 9:59 AM (in response to Immer treu)

Beep-beep!

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    14. Jul 3, 2008 8:04 AM (in response to Jeff Le)

Well done Jeff.  Don't be ashamed to do this for yourself in honor of your family members.  My biggest bummer after my last marathon was not being able to tell my parents.  I did my first marathon for my dad as he was diagnosed with a terminal illness.  My mother met me at the finish folllowing my second marathon -- the 3:15 one... twenty years later, I did my third marathon as an orphan.  But my folks are never far from my thoughts and I'm sure your God-father and cousin are just as close by to you.

Below is another motivator.  I just admired this man's courage when he was running the Big Sur Marathon.  I got really choked up when he had to stop at the Red Cross tent to change his bandages.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points