Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5306 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2008 5:25 PM by harrnjos RSS 1 2 Previous Next
broohannahoo Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 2, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 2, 2008 7:26 AM

Couch 2 5k trouble?

Is anyone else hitting the wall with this program?  I was successful up until week 4.  I had to do it twice to get it right, and even then it wasn't the full run.  Week 5 started great, was able to do day 1.  Day 2 I can only do the first 8 min. then I completely run out of steam at the 6 min mark of the second 8 min.  The 20 min was a disaster, and I could only do 10!

I'm 32 years old and weigh 223lbs down from 250.  I've never been very active and am trying to start.  I'm currently set to do my 3RD(!) attempt at week 5. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get over this hurdle?

• GLBryan Rookie 278 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jul 2, 2008 7:28 AM (in response to broohannahoo)
    Re: Couch 2 5k trouble?

Maybe slow down and keep plugging away. You are making progress.

• coriander1209 Amateur 63 posts since
    Feb 11, 2008
    2. Jul 2, 2008 9:42 AM (in response to broohannahoo)

I would def slow down.  I was over 200 lbs when I first started and when I got to prob about week 5 I had to slow down my running to be able to make it through.  There is nothing wrong with going slower.  Also make sure you have yourself pre occupied while you are running too. I dont know ifyou are running on a treadmill or outside, but if its on a treadmill I always covered the screen so I couldn't constantly look down and see that I had only run for 10 min when it felt like 20.  Good luck and keep up the good work!!!

• I am in control Amateur 107 posts since
    Jun 7, 2008
    3. Jul 3, 2008 2:15 AM (in response to broohannahoo)

Can I suggest that you shouldn't be afraid to repeat weeks. It may be a 9 week program but if it takes you 18 and you still get there, who cares? You should look at it that you are out exercising and that is fantastic.

Why don't you take the program in to your doctor and get their opinion.  They will know or at least have a better idea than I do as to your current fitness capabilites.

• dougnl Rookie 118 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    4. Jul 3, 2008 3:48 AM (in response to I am in control)

week 4/5 is the turning point in the program, from interval to continuous running. It also becomes much more of a mental game as well.

The first time I did the program I found the same as you, a hitting a wall type of thing, and I'm finding the same this time. Part of it is physical, and part of it is mental. Keep trying, you'll get it.

• EIgirl Community Moderator 395 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jul 3, 2008 5:16 AM (in response to dougnl)

Slow down!  Also, if you have been going by time, try switching to distance so you don't feel pressured by the watch. Like others have said it is perfectly fine to repeat weeks.  STick with it.  You'll do it!

• coriander1209 Amateur 63 posts since
    Feb 11, 2008
    6. Jul 3, 2008 7:26 AM (in response to EIgirl)

Oh yeah, that was another thing I did.  About halfway, I switched from running for time to running for distance.  That really helped me too!!!

• jorgecrespo Rookie 15 posts since
    Feb 1, 2006
    7. Jul 6, 2008 7:52 PM (in response to broohannahoo)

Hello Broo.

I'm a C25K veteran. I've started it in February 2006, and next December i'm running my first FULL MARATHON, and i don't want just to finish, i'm doing it under 4 hours. Yes, the C25K WORKS!  NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER GIVE UP.

Now, i've read the other replys on this thread and i've got to point one thing out. We're pulling Broo into two separate directions, towards the resolution of his problem. How? We're saying "run slower!" but also "Go for distance, not for time!"

Well, if Broo runs slower AND goes for distance instead of time he/she will take LONGER to do his/her runs, making it even harder to accomplish, right?

My advice is YES, RUN SLOWER. You can't "hit the wall" on a C25K. "Hitting the wall" is about running out of Glycogen to use as fuel. That only comes after something like 90 or 120 minutes into a run. We'll get there, but not so soon.

What's happening to you (and has happened to me and hundreds of new runners before us) is that you're running out of "gas". We use two kinds of energy while running: Cardio, and Muscular. This means that you can feel tired or "spent" either for going out of breath, or because of pain (fatigue) in your feet and legs. In an 8 minute run, and even in a 30 minute run, you're not using your muscles "that" much, that they start to ache. Your problem is that you're pushing your heart and your lungs (your cardiac sistem, that get's you out of breath, and some kind of funny pain in your liver region) too much. More than you can "afford".

By training, you're either improving your CARDIAC and MUSCULAR abilities, everytime you go out for a run, you get stronger. If done right, your next run will be easier than your last.  Next week will be easier than Last one, and next month you will laugh for thinking that ______ (fill in with the distance you're struggling to get by at the moment) was giving you a hard time.

There is something that will you'll easily identify after a couple of weeks running, that is called "your PACE". This is a rythm or a speed in wich "you could run forever". This means that, while at this speed, you will NEVER (yes, never. that's why some people run for hours. I'm actually running about 40 to 60 minutes per day) feel "cardiacly tired" (i'm not sure this word even exists, i'm just trying to make it clear... ). So, at your PACE, you will be able to run for as long as your muscles start acheing.

The fitter you are, the faster your PACE will be, and then, the farther your muscles will start to feel tired.

If you're just starting, i assume your fitness is not at your peak, so, GO SLOWER. YES, YOU CAN GO SLOWER, THERE'S NO "TOO SLOW" IN RUNNING, specially in the C25K.

Just remember, your correct speed is the one where you feel like "at this PACE, i could do this forever". Sooner or later, your legs will prove that you actually can't, but by the time you reach that point, you would already kicked week 5 in the C25K in its botttom.

• Simon-R Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 18, 2008
    8. Jul 7, 2008 3:00 AM (in response to coriander1209)

I have got a problem hoepfully someone can help me out on. I went on a run on a treadmill today, i strecthed before hand and then walk briskly for 5 mins before i started running. Now it wasnt a fast run, just steady so im not huffing and puffing then all of a sudden about 15 mins into the run its as if my left calf muscle tightened into a knot. I had to stop and it is still very painfull now. does anyone know why this has happened and what i can do to try to pspped up recovery and prevent this from happing again.

Simon

• Cat_Nip Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 14, 2008
    9. Jul 7, 2008 6:15 AM (in response to jorgecrespo)

WOW Jorge....what a great response, that is the one thing the C25K doesn't tell you. How to react when you don't think your doing well on the program. I'm on week 7 and I'm tempted to go back and repeat week 6....I was doing fine until I hit the 20 minutes and the last 2 minutes I thought I was going to die. I struggle to find my pace and really I struggle to enjoy running. Is that normal? I loved the interval training until I go over the 5 minute mark... How do I start to enjoy running?

• One road beyond Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 15, 2008
    10. Jul 7, 2008 7:56 AM (in response to broohannahoo)

I can only echo what others have already said, slow down and it's ok to repeat a week.  I also started at 250 when I began the program and it wasn't until I was around 220 that I was able to really get into the swing.  *When I started using the Nike + and my Nano my running took off.  I fully admit I'm addicted,  It helped me so much.  I would also say that diet is also key to your runs.  You will get there.

• EIgirl Community Moderator 395 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Jul 7, 2008 8:37 AM (in response to jorgecrespo)

"Well, if Broo runs slower AND goes for distance instead of time he/she will take LONGER to do his/her runs, making it even harder to accomplish, right?"

Um, yeah.  Going slower will mean it takes longer, but that does not mean it's harder to accomplish.  Taking longer does not mean it's harder, in fact, I think it's easier.  What I am saying is, instead of pushing it while trying to run for however many minutes it is saying to run for, slow down and work on the distance factor.  Run for the 1/4 mile (or 1/2 or 3/4) at pace of your choosing which allows you talk as you run.  As you say, there is no such thing as too slow (I completely agree), but using the clock can put pressure on folks.  I know, I was one of them.  You can stick with the time aspect if you choose, but will still need to SLOW down.  I offered up the solution that worked for me which was ditch the watch and slow it down.  It may take someone 45 minutes to run a 5k and that's fine, it's actually great b/c they weren't running before.  Broo - Right now, you don't have a speed goal, you have a finish goal.  As you go through the responses, give the ones that sound good to you a try and see what works for you.

Jorge - Congrats on your marathon training.  I hope you reach your goal of finishing in under 4 hours. 

Taking Longer does not make it harder.  Pushing yourself to go faster than your body is ready for will make it harder b/c you'll be injured or totally discouraged.  Fast will come later. 

• joedadd Pro 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Jul 7, 2008 10:14 AM (in response to broohannahoo)

I lost track of how many times I have repeated weeks or had to start over in the past. I started at close to 300 pounds and couldn't jog for more than 10 seconds before the huffing and puffing was too much. But I got through it and can run a half marathon, slow, but to completion.

Just keep at it and don't worry about finishing any week in one week. Even if it take you a month to advance to the next "day", keep at it, it is totally worth it.

Weight:

12/18/2011 - 280 LBS

10/2/2012 - 248 LBS

Short term goal - 10/31/2012 - 241 LBS

Intermediate Goal - 230 LBS by 12/31/2012

Long term goal - 190 LBS - Sometime in the distant future.

Running: Complete Broad Street Run May 2013

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Jul 9, 2008 10:47 AM (in response to broohannahoo)

Please keep in mind that c25k is intended to be completed based on either time OR distance -- not both. The program is intended to get you to a point that you can run 5k OR for 30 consecutive minutes -- not 5k in 30 minutes. I ran for time through week six, then converted to distance only in week seven (when all the runs become the same again, if I recall correctly).

As far as drinking while running, sure! Now that things are warming up, I bring liquids with me for any run over three miles. If I were in your situation, I'd be bringing fluids with me for all runs, irrespective of distance. Most of the time I use an Amphipod RunLite 4, but sometimes I'll just use a regular squeeze water bottle if I don't feel like strapping on the belt. I've been thinking about picking up something like a Nathan Thermal Quickdraw.

Good luck with your continued running!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...