Skip navigation

10720 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2008 9:57 AM by staving off decrepitude 1 2 Previous Next
LINDA DOHERTY Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 14, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 8, 2008 10:29 AM

LOSS OF TOENAILS

LOST 2 NAILS AFTER PHILADELPHIA, 5 AFTER FRED. MARYLAND.  HAVE TRIED SHOES WITH WIDE TOE BOX AND EVERY SOCK  MADE. WOULD LOVE TO KEEP ALL NAILS AFTER MCM. FEET ARE UGLY ENOUGH.  ALSO HAVE TROUBLE WITH NAUSEA AFTER MARATHONS. YES ITS ME AT THE FINISH LINE PUCKING. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

• VARunnerGirl Pro 158 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    1. Jul 8, 2008 10:45 AM (in response to LINDA DOHERTY)
    Re: LOSS OF TOENAILS

Do you scrunch up or curl your toes when you run? 

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    2. Jul 8, 2008 10:57 AM (in response to VARunnerGirl)

I've never lost a toenail but I know that it's not uncommon. You may have shoes that are too small. You need running shoes in different sizes from street shoes... usually a few sizes bigger to account for swelling. Also try different shoe-lacing techniques: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

As far as the puking it could be a lot of things ranging from dehydration to gu intolerance to anything inbetween. More information and practicing with variables on long runs may help inform the situation.

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    3. Jul 8, 2008 11:05 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)
    DCtoPgh wrote:

I've never lost a toenail but I know that it's not uncommon. You may have shoes that are too small. You need running shoes in different sizes from street shoes... usually a few sizes bigger to account for swelling. Also try different shoe-lacing techniques: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

I dunno if I'd  go a FEW SIZES bigger.    If I wore a size 13 my feet would be swimming in my shoes.  Maybe a half size bigger.  It really depends on the brand, style, and fit of the individual shoe.  The lacing can definitely help a shoe that is not "quite" right.  I had one toenail go black after one marathon.  But that's it.  Never lost one.  5 in one race indicates a bit of a problem (either with the shoe or your tootsies.)

As far as the puking it could be a lot of things ranging from dehydration to gu intolerance to anything inbetween. More information and practicing with variables on long runs may help inform the situation.

Puking after a race would generally be considered bad.  Unless it's just something you do because you enjoy it and I'm thinking that's not likely.  Since most of your blood is being used for things other than digestion, I'd start there.  What are you eating during a race?  Do you have any undiagnosed food allergies?  What's your diet like before a race?  Is it different than on other non-racing days?  Kat's right about dehydration.  If you're dehydrated and on the verge of heat exhaustion (or worse, heat stroke), time to think about how hard you're pushing it on race day.   Does this happen on all days or just hot days?  All distances or just distances over a certain amount?  All levels of exertion or just racing?

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • zoom1 Legend 288 posts since
    Jan 22, 2008
    4. Jul 8, 2008 11:14 AM (in response to LINDA DOHERTY)

On top of what every one said ...how much gel or fluids are you taking during the marathon ?  Too much of either will also cause nausea.  Are you taking your gels with water or a sports drink ?  Gel + sport drink may cause the gel to stay in its concentrated state in your stomach longer and will cause gas and nausea.

Have you had your feet/shoes properly fitted ?  There are shoes for flat feet, high arch support, stabilization, over proration, etc.  If your shoes do not match your feet type the no matter how wide or big you shoes are, it may contribute to your toenail problems.  How tight do you tie your shoe laces ?  Do you give them room to grow over the course of the race ?  Yes, your feet will expand over the course of the race if the weather warm.

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jul 8, 2008 11:13 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

I had a problem last year with losing toenails.  I switched shoes and the problem went away.  Sounds like you need a good fitting. 

As for puking, I'm sorry!  That is a terrible way to end such a momentous event.  Could you experiment during training with food/fluid options?  I learned very quickly that pre-run toast and gu with caffeine are not good options or me...I won't get into the details

I will run for cupcakes!!

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    6. Jul 8, 2008 11:18 AM (in response to LINDA DOHERTY)

I have a huge problem with nausea.  You really have to experiment on long runs with what sits best on your stomach.  Have you tried something bland, like pretzles, Goldfish, gummy worms (or maybe bears wouldn't sliver down your throat )?  I found I can drink the Gatorade Rain, it's more watery, but the Accelerade sends me flying to the nearest portapotty and sick as a dog.  How much have you experimented with foods/gels?  Gels also make me nauseated.  I usually use the Succeed! electrolyte capsules instead of gels.

Can't imagine what's making your toenails come off.  Do you feel them beating on your shoes during the race?  Are your toes sore?  I had two that got loose after I first started running, but soon found out I needed bigger shoes.  Since then, not a problem with a toenail ever.  Maybe your shoes are too wide and your feet are sliding forward and hitting the front of your shoe??

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,400 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Jul 8, 2008 11:21 AM (in response to LINDA DOHERTY)
    LINDA DOHERTY wrote:

LOST 2 NAILS AFTER PHILADELPHIA, 5 AFTER FRED. MARYLAND. HAVE TRIED SHOES WITH WIDE TOE BOX AND EVERY SOCK MADE. WOULD LOVE TO KEEP ALL NAILS AFTER MCM. FEET ARE UGLY ENOUGH. ALSO HAVE TROUBLE WITH NAUSEA AFTER MARATHONS. YES ITS ME AT THE FINISH LINE PUCKING. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

You don't mention length of your shoes, so I'll reiterate: you should have a thumb-nail width between the longest toe and the front of your shoes. If that's OK, your feet may be sliding forward in the shoes, which you can check on a training run. There are lacing tricks to fix that, the easiset being to lace the front of your shoes a little tighter. Or you could use the very top holes to make it a little more snug around the ankle. Do you have problems on your long training runs? If not then what is different in the race?

Nausea is something I think we all have had at one time or another. And you may have heard all this before. Adequate hydration during the race can be helpful in minimizing it. (Put another way, inadequate hydration will definitely make it worse.) Also know what you can and cannot eat/drink along the way. Some people take antacids (Tums or the like) during the marathon. My personal observation is the closer you are to your ability/limit the more likely you are to have nausea/stomach cramps afterward.

Let's see what everybody else has to say.  (I took too long, everybody else has had their say.)

Len

Len

• running momma of 3 boyz Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    8. Jul 8, 2008 11:19 AM (in response to LINDA DOHERTY)

I lost three toenails before I figured out that my shoes were too small.  So after a suggestion of a friend, I went to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes.  They sized each foot because one foot may be a different size from the other.  I ended up getting a 1 1/2 sizes larger than what I normally use.  Also, the particular shoe that was most comfortable for me had a type of fabric that allowed air in the toe area (not sure what it is called but it has little holes).  I had much more room in my toe area.  They allowed me to go outside and run around to see which shoes were most comfortable.  This particular store will also allow you to return the shoes even after running outside with them if you find they don't work for you.  I've heard of alot stores that practice the same convenience.  One year later, I have never had any problems with my toenails.:8}

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    9. Jul 8, 2008 11:25 AM (in response to LINDA DOHERTY)

Hey I thought I had the ugliest feet around.  I haven't lost any toenails yet (knocking on wood), but I do get some serious pain in the toes when the miles get longer.  I think I naturally curl them up.  MCM 2007 was awful.  It felt like someone had taken a hammer to my big toes.   I think we should both experiment with another pair of shoes.  It's amazing what a new pair of shoes will do for you.

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    10. Jul 8, 2008 11:33 AM (in response to RubyBPG)
    Ruby_2008 wrote:

Hey I thought I had the ugliest feet around.  I haven't lost any toenails yet (knocking on wood), but I do get some serious pain in the toes when the miles get longer.  I think I naturally curl them up.  MCM 2007 was awful.  It felt like someone had taken a hammer to my big toes.   I think we should both experiment with another pair of shoes.  It's amazing what a new pair of shoes will do for you.

Guys... can you believe a woman posted something like that?

(ducking)

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    11. Jul 8, 2008 11:46 AM (in response to LINDA DOHERTY)

I would try injinji socks. I've lost two toenails as well. I'm not sure if you get blistering as well. I lost one from blistering that wrapped fully around the toe and went under the actual nailbed. Gross I know. And the other I guess just from banging around. Anyway, the socks are a bit on the pricey side (12 bucks a pair), but I think they are fully worth the money. The smouchy part of my toe is shaped a little funny so they kind of overlap, its that way when I walk, when I run especially long distances there is no stopping the havoc on my feet. These socks have individual toes, so its like each one has its own compartment and it stops the friction. I love them. I just ordered 4 more pairs! And no I don't own stock in the company. If I were you I would just go to REI and buy one pair. Than try them out on a long run, see if it helps.

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
    Jan 18, 2008
    12. Jul 8, 2008 12:50 PM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Myblueeyedgurl wrote: . . .

The smouchy part of my toe

?????

Len

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    13. Jul 8, 2008 12:59 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

It was an invented word, that really looks like another word, that IS NOT what I meant! LMAO! Smoshy??? Shmushy??

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
    Jan 18, 2008
    14. Jul 8, 2008 1:02 PM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

I love it.  It just took me a while to figure out what you meant.

Len

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points