Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6689 Views 38 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2008 3:15 PM by arvold@uiuc.eud Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • mrpat007 Pro 236 posts since
    May 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Apr 7, 2007 12:20 AM (in response to neversaynever)
    Re: too old???????????

NSN, I started about 4 years ago at the age of 57 after not doing anything athletic for 35 years. Not knowing any better. i ran a 10 mile race 3 months later, i did walk a bit, but finished in 90 minutes and as they the rest is history.

• survived99 Amateur 50 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Apr 8, 2007 1:57 PM (in response to neversaynever)

I started running after 48 years of being a couch potato.  I'll be turning 50 in a few months.  Like you, lots of people told me I was too old.  I survived cancer, so they thought I should take it easy.  No way - I run because I survived!   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

I ran my second 5K yesterday - beat my PR by 12% in one year. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

I also shocked and amazed my doctors when they saw what running did to my cholesterol, HDL, LDL levels.

Go for it!  Oh, but go slow b/c I had an injury early on before I realized I could truly be in it for the long haul.

• Tutman52 Amateur 19 posts since
    Jul 26, 2007
    32. Jun 3, 2008 1:50 PM (in response to neversaynever)

TOO OLD???  Nonsense!   I needed knee surgery at 53, and then got started running! At 54 I did my first marathon!  I never seriously ran before!  A year later at 55 I am trying for a Boston Qualifier!  I have only been running about two years!   TOO OLD??? Nonsense!  Just take a easy at first and work yourself up.  When it gets easy, make it harder by going farther or faster!  When you getting going start setting some goals!  Go for it!

• arvold@uiuc.eud Rookie 4 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    33. Jun 3, 2008 2:28 PM (in response to Tutman52)

King or Queen Tut,

I am just beginning...participated in the Charlottesville 12 week training session for a 4 miler last summer at age 58. I also lost 25 pounds caused majorly by stress. THe stress has subsided - I'm taking control now and my dear daughters gave me a birthday present of registration for the Rock-n-Roll 1/2 marathon in VA Beach on Aug 31. I turn 60 on the 30th so I'll be the youngest one in my class! I have been most diligent about training but have a fear that this is all a dream. Please convince me otherwise. I'm doing a run/walk NB ionternet training program now (increasing the run/walk ratio gradually) and will begin the 4 miler training program again this Sat but with intentions to learn to run the entire 4 miles instead of mostly walking. I won't actually participate in the race because it is the same weekend at the 1/2 M. but I thought that maybe it would help??? My goal in the 1/2 M is to finish within 4 hours. My pace in the 4 miler last summer was 14 something which was most surprised because it was much higher than ever before. My adrenalin was really pumping.. so back to... is this just a bit too dangerous for me???

I would appreciate your and others' thoughts on this. I am responding to your note alone I think but this is my first blog experience so I'm not sure to whom this is actually going. I would appreciate the help of any with some good advice... thanks.

Boogie

• Tutman52 Amateur 19 posts since
    Jul 26, 2007
    34. Jun 4, 2008 11:50 AM (in response to arvold@uiuc.eud)

Don't be intimidated by the size of the half marathon!  If you want to give it a try go for it.  Should you find it a bit more than you figured with the running, you will probably be able to finish up with walking!  Most run events are freindly to walkers nowadays.  Sure you will take longer, but you should be able to finish in a reason amount of time.  The same is true with full marathons in many cases, so any of you wanabees thinking about it, just go for it.  If you end up needing to walk a bit to finish, there is no shame with that!  Many people do this, and have a great time with this!  GO for it!

• joeyverville Amateur 61 posts since
    Aug 31, 2006
    35. Jul 8, 2008 3:13 PM (in response to neversaynever)

count me in with the "started running at age 50" group.  didn't want to be 50 and fat for the rest of my life.  i've left 50 and two years later, left the fat, too.  running has saved and extended my life. 

keep up the great work. 

joey-girl

• catrun Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 26, 2007
    36. Jul 10, 2008 2:28 AM (in response to neversaynever)

The day you think you are too old to do something, go and do it!

You are being barely out of your teens! How can anybody say that anyone else is too old to run or do whatever she/he pleases? 

Just  ENJOY!

• gratgirl Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 1, 2008
    37. Jul 11, 2008 6:51 AM (in response to neversaynever)

Gosh, I hope Neversaynever is still here seeing how she has inspired us all!  I started running a little bit about a year ago.  I dabbled in the  past, but always told myself  I wasn't built for it.  I have enjoyed some times in gyms lifting some weights (not very heavy ones), but now that  I am in this age group I have to be seriously committed to weight bearing exercise because it is so good for our bones.  And because I intend to spend a few weeks in USA later in the year, I need to be able to keep on running.  So if any of you see someone who looks a bit strange and tends to watch for cars on the wrong side of the road, say hi, It could be me.

Gratgirl

• arvold@uiuc.eud Rookie 4 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    38. Jul 11, 2008 3:15 PM (in response to neversaynever)
    Bee stings

A new development... I was doing just great , a long walk/run of 7.5 miles (walk/run ration of 2/1)  and then a walk/run of 6.5 miles with a ration lower than 1/1.  I was so proud!   I finally am running more than walking!!! But then just after cool down I was stung or bitten by something so small I could not see it but I felt a deep *****. I went home and used  baking soda and hp and thought the bubbling got the venom out.. no stinger present.. Seemed to be fine so I went ahead with  my strength training that night ( I pushed a bit more than usual - I was still psyched from my progress in the morning) and woke up in the middle of the night with a calf the size of an elephant's leg and it was beet red.. soaked in cool salt water... took antihistamines, took homeopathic pellets but it seemed to have to run its course....a silver dollar size blister remains 10 days later ... couldn't walk let alone run for 2 days.... have not bee able to run at all but did a 0.5 mile walk on a tm yesterday, with no ill effects.  I am hoping to get back on track now. I guess I had an allergic reactions to whatever it was but now wonder what I should do to prevent this in the future. I hear this talk of garlic... I read that it's a great insect repellent.. IF so I'm willing to stink as I run.. What do you know about this? I plan to wipe myself dry after my workout and spray something on myself before cool down. Please share any stinging stories with me. Am I alone in this?

Boogie

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...