Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

765 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2008 6:43 AM by Jay Silvio RSS
Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2008 8:17 AM

Fri. 7/11/08 (+ Thurs. 7/10)

Yesterday was an hour on the elliptical (50 minutes in reverse followed by a 10 minute forward cool down).  Today was an easy 8 with my new training partner.  What's everyone else doing?

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jul 11, 2008 9:08 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)
    Re: Fri. 7/11/08 (+ Thurs. 7/10)

I'm using this week as both a taper week and a recovery week. Yesterday I swam a little bit and today I might go for a short jog just to loosen up for tomorrow.

So, I've been feeling the performance pressure and the expectations of other people AND realizing that I no longer have the element of surprise now that people expect me to do well...I finally worked my way to the point where I felt like I could just go race and be happy with my best and not worry about winning. So I woke up feeling ready and at peace, I sat down with my family for breakfast only to hear my husband laugh about something in the newspaper. He hands me the paper and on the front page of the sports section is an article anouncing the race tomorrow and that "among the top competitors will be local champions....jen...blah blah blah!" Jimmy walks over, gives me a kiss goodbye and says "Have fun throwing up today" and he walks out the door for work.

UGH! My stress is ramped up again and to use my three year olds new phrase "I'm freak-ed out!"

Have fun this weekend!

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jul 11, 2008 9:19 AM (in response to jenhirr)

Its supposed to be fun, Jen.....remember?   (smiles)

Denise and I did another slow, gentle run at Buddy Attick. 3 miles on Thursday.

As the day went on, my PF became increasingly sore. I didn't post because I was composing my "I'm signing off till I heal." blog entry. I took my shoes off last night after work, and immediately felt better.

I've been running and wearing OTC orthotics trying to alleviate stress on my PF. But the soreness went away when I took them off. This is analogous to when I started running: I developed PF fairly quickly. At the time, I was running in new motion control shoes, thinking I could use all the support I could get. I went to a running store and they put me into much lighter stabililty shoes. My PF were fine immediately.

I'm glad to announce I'll be running tomorrow instead of resigning myself to another month's running rest. Now, I'm not going to use the orthotics.

In running, advice backed by science is the gold standard. You can find lots of rehab advice, based on conjecture. So, I was glad to find this: http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/pr/news/story.cfm?id=1275

Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jul 11, 2008 4:31 PM (in response to DaveVause)

you are so right dave!  It's a good thing I thrive on pressure....(smiles)

Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jul 12, 2008 1:22 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

So, I found out today that this triathlon was rated by whomever checks out courses to get them usat sanctioned (it's not sanctioned yet however) and they said it is the hardest non-xterra triathlon in all of Idaho and utah.  And it was a blast!  I won my age group, was second overall for women and about 6th or 7th for men and women.  Also, this year they awarded prizes (and by prizes, I mean t-shirts) to the fastest person in each different event.  I had the fastest run time for women (all age groups included)...and even the fastest run time for both genders 30-39.  I didn't feel like my run was my best but with the challenging course after the insane bike, I was happy.

The race director asked me if I was disapointed that I got second...I said "No, I'm happy to get beat by 25 year olds with dogs instead of children who are fresh out of college athletics."  And I meant it.  It was a pleasure to get beat by her.  I loved every second of it.  I am however, happy that it's over.  I rewarded myself with some amazing stir-fried jasmine rice and some green curry and now I'm going to take a nap.

Oh! Dara Torres has nothing on me with her two full time stretchers...my four kids stretched and pulled and massaged me (with their knees and elbows) when I got done today.  It was delightful. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...