Skip navigation

7237 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2010 11:01 AM by CaptainJorge RSS
J&GSchroeder Amateur 11 posts since
Jun 12, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 30, 2008 5:48 AM

1 and not done - Recap of my first attempt

So completed my first sprint Tri this past weekend.  While my time was longer than anticipated I completed my primary goal - I didn't finish last in my age group...  For a guy that goes around the #240 mark I figured that wasn't bad...

Official Stuff:

Time 1:48:04, Overall: 236/303  Division 13/16, Sex: 123/140

Swim: 9:50 (was averaging 9:00 in pool - this was first open water swim)

T1: 4:55

Bike: 57:40 (slower than expected.  Old Giant Rincon w/ creaky pedals and soft suspension made it though - was worried about snapping a pedal.  Course was MUCH hillier than the region of the state where I live/train...)

T2: 1:29  (Didn't need to change shoes)

Run: 34:12 (slower than hoped.  Though best time on treadmill at Y was 27m.  Killer hill about 1/2 way that NO ONE was jogging up.  Had to do the run 100yds, walk 20yd bit...  Have never cramped up soooo bad in my entire life.  Actually knocked me off my feet at one point.  Needed to stop and rub out the quads 3x and the hammies 1x during the run)

Started the day at 0515 and was really wondering just what I was doing...  Absolutely in awe of all the more experienced folks. 

It's official now though.  There will be more in the future.  Starting to eye up an entry level road bike in the $400-700 range.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR POINTERS AND GUIDANCE FOLKS.      

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 30, 2008 10:47 PM (in response to J&GSchroeder)
    congratulations triathlete!

fantastic job! congrats on ur first

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• niemsco Legend 189 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    2. Jul 1, 2008 11:40 AM (in response to J&GSchroeder)
    Re: 1 and not done - Recap of my first attempt

Great job Triathlete!  Glad you had fun.  A road bike will definitely make it that much more enjoyable, not to mention will lower you times, most likely, compared to what you have.

• Anthony_All3 Legend 237 posts since
    Aug 8, 2007
    3. Jul 7, 2008 5:14 AM (in response to J&GSchroeder)

Congratulations!  Don't worry soon the newbies will be in awe of your experience.  Just a couple tips, train in real world conditions, heat, hills, lakes, race paces and practice transitions during training.  You cramped due to not being prepared for hills and such, possibly the intensity level you were racing at.  If your race will be hilly, then do hill repeats and do your long runs on a hilly course.  Mainly try to tailor your training specifically to the next race you are training for.  Try to do a transition run after every bike and swim, not a brick, just a short high intensity run(5-10), following swim and bike sessions.  Don't base times off of your training, especially on treadmills and pools.  Train like you will race, and race like you have trained.

Good luck on your next

-Anthony

• nanayjones Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 21, 2008
    4. Jul 9, 2008 12:43 PM (in response to J&GSchroeder)

Congratulations!! Glad to hear that it encouraged you to do more. When you are ready to buy your entry lever road bike, don't forget to look for discount coupons on-line for extra savings. I got 20% off on my 1st road bike on top of the discount they gave me. I recommend checking out SportsBasement store, they measure you and custom fit the bike you'll buy, any future checkups, maintainance, or just a simple tune up will be free when purchased at their store. Very friendly and knowledgable. Offers classes and group training, biking, or running.

• sbuckstar Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    5. Jul 14, 2008 3:42 PM (in response to J&GSchroeder)

Congratulations on your first Tri!!!  I just completed my first tri yesterday.  A few ideas from newbie to newbie...#1:  Consider working with a coach, if you are not already.  You can find one that is affordable and who can monitor your workouts.  My coach is affiliated with a National cycling team, therefore, I receive great discounts on all my gear and nutrition.  For example I received an almost 50% discount on my road bike through my coach (I joined the team for a nominal fee of $30.00).  I was able to purchase more of a bike than I would on my own by far.  #2:  Are you training with a heart rate monitor?  It is a great idea and can help to avoid over exertion too early in the race.  I ordered my Garmin with HR monitor from eBay vs. retail and saved about $200.00.  I made sure I was in the correct zone throughout the race and was able to back off quickly if I needed to.  #3:  How often do you take in a gel (I use Accelerade brand)?  I take one every 25 minutes w/ water and at the 10 to 15 minute mark, I drink Accelerade mixed drink.  It keeps me from cramping.  #4:  Train your running outside as much as possible.  My coach also changed my running stride completely.  I was a foot shuffler and bobbed up and down way too much 6 months ago.  I have learned to run more efficiently...now I am faster with less energy expelled.  Overall, I think your time was great!  My time was 1:35:18 total.  I am scanning websites to select my second race.  I hope my advice helps!!!  Keep going, we newbies need to stick together.  Good Luck!

• appandy Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 5, 2010
    6. Sep 5, 2010 1:52 PM (in response to sbuckstar)

That is some great advice.  I am looking to do my first sprint tri here in the near future and have been searching through the posts for helpful newbie advice.

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    7. Sep 7, 2010 3:34 PM (in response to J&GSchroeder)

Way to go J&GSchroeder !!

You're correct, it's official! I'm glad you're going to stick around and do some more tris.

Enjoy,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• CaptainJorge Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 9, 2010
    8. Sep 12, 2010 11:01 AM (in response to J&GSchroeder)

Congrats! Looks like you've got the tri-bug now

I started the sport last April, done three so far and can't wait for the next tri!

Enjoy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...