Skip navigation

315704 Views 1,280 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2012 8:33 AM by Guest RSS 1 2 3 ... 86 Previous Next
Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
Dec 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 14, 2008 7:39 PM

Great Quotes

"You only ever grow as a human being if you're outside your comfort zone."

PERCY CERUTTY

I get a daily quote from Runner's World and this was today's.  Just about the best I have seen in a few weeks.  What do others have in the arsenol?

Jimmy

This place is like home!!!!

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    1. Jul 14, 2008 7:54 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)
    Re: Great Quotes

I live by 'you don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.'  Not sure who that's from but it says a lot.

I love that quote of yours.  My wife is having difficulty 'moving forward' at the moment as she's afraid of change.  That quote sums things up for her perfectly.  Thanks for sharing.

• badgergrl Legend 738 posts since
    Jan 17, 2008
    3. Jul 14, 2008 8:39 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)
    Jimmy D Jarhead wrote:

"You only ever grow as a human being if you're outside your comfort zone."

PERCY CERUTTY

I get a daily quote from Runner's World and this was today's.  Just about the best I have seen in a few weeks.  What do others have in the arsenol?

Jimmy

This is going on my wall somewhere where I will see it daily. It sums up my life right about now as I am making tons of decisions that are putting me WAY outside my comfort zone (training for a marathon one of them, among many others) and end up surprising myself on a daily basis by who I am slowly becoming.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    4. Jul 15, 2008 6:20 AM (in response to badgergrl)

"From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life."

Arthur Ashe

Jan 23, 2008
    5. Jul 15, 2008 6:22 AM (in response to Immer treu)

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."

Thomas Edison

Jan 17, 2008
    6. Jul 15, 2008 6:27 AM (in response to Immer treu)

"Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

"Courage is not limited to the battlefield or the Indy 500 or catching a thief in a house. The real tests of courage are much quieter. They are the inner tests; like remaining faithful when nobody's looking, like enduring pain when the room is empty, like standing alone when you're misunderstood."

"The question is not how far. The question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?"

• KrisMCM Pro 137 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    7. Jul 15, 2008 6:34 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

" I am not a young man, I am an old boy"! -- Matthew, my 5 year old son.

Jan 23, 2008
    8. Jul 15, 2008 6:41 AM (in response to badgergrl)

Great!  The first is Mary Anne Radmacher.  The middle one is Chuck Swindoll, I think. The third would be Boondock Saints....

Jan 17, 2008
    9. Jul 15, 2008 6:44 AM (in response to Immer treu)
    Immer treu wrote:

Great!  The first is Mary Anne Radmacher.  The middle one is Chuck Swindoll, I think. The third would be Boondock Saints....

Thanks! I just have them up on my wall in my office but not who said them, so I'll take your word for it!

Jan 23, 2008
    10. Jul 15, 2008 6:45 AM (in response to Immer treu)

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. "

Gandhi

(or at least someone will call it insignificant until its importance is beyond dispute!)

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    11. Jul 15, 2008 7:15 AM (in response to Immer treu)

All my faves at once:

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?" Actually, who are you not to be? Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

~Nelson Mandela

People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered. Love them anyway.

If you do good, people may accuse you of selfish motives. Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you may win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway.

The kindness you show today may be forgotten tomorrow. Be kind anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway.

The biggest person with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest person with the smallest mind. Think big anyway.

People really need help, but may attack you if you help them. Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt. Give the world the best you have anyway.

~Mother Theresa

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

~Love Actually

"The more I run, the more I want to run, and the more I live a life conditioned and influenced and fashioned by my running. And the more I run, the more certain I am that I am heading for my real goal: to become the person that I am".

~George Sheehan, M.D.

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    12. Jul 15, 2008 7:28 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Oh man, I love "Love Actually". 

These are some of my favorite quotes:

"It is not the critic who counts,nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows great enthusiasms, great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. "

- Albert Einstein

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

- Eleanor Roosevelt

"In order to be walked on, you have to be lying down."

- Brian Weir

"Marines are about the most peculiar breed of human beings, I have ever witnessed. They treat their service as if it were some kind of cult, plastering their emblem on almost everything they own, making themselves up to look like insane fanatics with haircuts to ungentlemanly lengths, worshipping their Commandant almost as if he were a god, and making weird animal noises like a band of savages. They'll fight like rabid dogs at the drop of a hat just for the sake of a little action, and are the cockiest sons of ******* I have ever known. Most have the foulest mouths and drink well beyond man's normal limits, but their high spirits and sense of brotherhood set them apart and, generally speaking, the United States Marines I've come in contact with are the most professional soldiers and the finest men I have ever had the pleasure to meet."  - Anonymous Canadian Citizen

"Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons."  ~Bertrand Russell

"I can do all things through him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

"Yes I am with you always, until the very end of time." - Jesus Christ

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Jul 15, 2008 7:36 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

I really love Emerson!!

Here are some more of my Emerson favorites...

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…"

"People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character."

"Hitch your wagon to a star."

"Every wall is a door."

Immer, this one is just for you...

"A chief event of life is the day in which we have encountered a mind that startled us. "

Kat, this one is just for you...

"Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis."

I will run for cupcakes!!

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    14. Jul 15, 2008 7:39 AM (in response to HALOjen)

curlyj wrote:

Kat, this one is just for you...

"Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis."

Hahahaha.... good because there will be many screams along the way

My Blog | i2P

1 2 3 ... 86 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...