Skip navigation

6612 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2008 2:52 PM by HALOjen RSS
HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 16, 2008 7:53 AM

missed workouts

I was supposed to run 5 miles yesterday but was so dog tired that I couldn't do it. I didn't get up this morning to do it either because I still felt like I needed to sleep.  This is the miserable kind of tired I am talking about.  I attribute this to my long run (16) on Sunday and then swimming, biking, rowing for 2 hours on Monday, and my teenage daughter that kept me up too late on Monday night.  Plus, I haven't had a full day off in a long time. 

I am feeling better now so I plan to workout this afternoon.  I'm just not sure which workout I should do...the run I missed yesterday, the swimming I am supposed to do today, or both!  I am thinking that I will run and then if I am up to it, hit the pool for a reduced swim workout.  What do you think?

What do you do when you miss a work out?  Try to make it up or move on?

I will run for cupcakes!!

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    1. Jul 16, 2008 7:54 AM (in response to HALOjen)
    Re: missed workouts

I move on to the next one and mostly without guilt.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,375 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jul 16, 2008 8:00 AM (in response to HALOjen)

Generally I move on.  You might make it up if it is a key workout - one that is important to your plan.  Personally I haven't run into a workout that was that important.

Len

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    3. Jul 16, 2008 8:04 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Yep, I just move on.  The only one I feel I "must" do is the long run.  The rest are important but missing one out of 5 isn't going to be a killer to my training.

Try to think "big picture."  Are you getting your total miles or close to it?  Are you getting a variety of long runs and speed workouts over the course of your plan?  How much does 5 miles matter when you're running 140 miles per month or more?

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    4. Jul 16, 2008 9:11 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

Ditto what everyone else said. I move on to the next one. I'm not even repeating last Saturday's miserable failed full run. I'll step back this week and jump to 13 the week after that.

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • TampaTom Legend 252 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    5. Jul 16, 2008 9:42 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Me too, I move on.  I try to remember how I got to the point where I had to skip it so I don't do the same thing again.

When it is the long run I miss, or do not finish, I do get consious ofthe fact and maybe put an extra mile or two in on the weekly runs - but thats it.

No sense beating yourself up.... let someone else do.... uh, never mind.:^0 LOL.

• kmagaleski Legend 739 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    6. Jul 16, 2008 10:10 AM (in response to HALOjen)

move on, I never beat myself up over missing- lifes to short.  I agree with everyone else and esp with whomever stressed that the long run is the main focus. I may shift the long run around, but I try to never miss it. And, I know what its like trying to fit it all in- but the tiredness your describing is terrible. Get the rest and move on. Good luck!

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jul 16, 2008 10:32 AM (in response to kmagaleski)

Yep. Move on and don't look back.

Chocolate is very nice.
  • Irish Runner77 Legend 780 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    8. Jul 16, 2008 10:47 AM (in response to HALOjen)

I'm not the best person to answer this, but here goes -

I move on and then miss the next workout.

Altho I am getting more on track with it now. No blister pictures!

MCM Finisher 2007, 2008, 2009
    CMM Finisher 2008
    Goofy Challenge Finisher 2009, 2010
    Pittsburgh Marathon Finisher 2009
    RnR Seattle Finisher 2009

Richmond Finisher 2009

RnR Las Vegas Finisher 2009

• Run4Cookies Pro 73 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    9. Jul 16, 2008 12:42 PM (in response to HALOjen)

I kind of do both.  I move on to the next one, but may increase the distance or pace to feel like I made up for the missed one.  But I'm not training for a tri or anything - it's just running and the occasional x-training.  Not to mention my schedule only has me running M-W-Sa, so if I miss a M-W I can make it up T-Th.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Jul 16, 2008 1:06 PM (in response to HALOjen)

You just can't effectively make up missed runs.  If I miss a long run or speed session I may substitute one in the place of a later easy day, but I would certainly not try and double up.  Your body has its ways of letting you know when you need to rest.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...