Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

629 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 20, 2008 4:41 PM by jenhirr RSS
Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 18, 2008 4:54 PM

Fri. 7/18/08 (and Thurs. 7/17)

Yesterday, I did an hour long elliptical session.  It went fairly well even though I was tired and I'm finding it difficult to maintain motivation.

This morning I decided to test out the calf (again) with a relatively easy 8-miler.  It was still a little sore, but I hoped it would loosen up after a few miles.  Needless to say, my calf failed the test.  It did OK for a few miles and then it locked up at mile four.  I stopped running and went inside for a half hour of reverse elliptical to complete my workout.  I apologize if these reports of my injury are getting repetitive, but it looks like there will be a lot more cross-training in my future.  I have come to the realization that I'm putting too much pressure on myself to race well and it is causing me to make poor decisions (like not giving myself nearly enough time to heal) and taking much of the joy out of my training.  I need to readjust my goals for Baltimore so that I can enjoy the experience and also have a lot more running in my future.

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 20, 2008 4:41 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)
    Re: Fri. 7/18/08 (and Thurs. 7/17)

One of the things that I really love about running and racing is that I am in control of it. So many things in life are unpredictable but I get to choose what I want to do for my workout and how I want to race. And what makes a "sucessfull" race is following the plan that you have set for yourself according to your circumstances right now.

The other thing I like is that things change and evolve and I get to evolve with them. And you should too. It's sounds like you are coming to that thought and I hope you can be happy with that. A little bit of pressure it good but pressure that causes pain and stress should be avoided.

Don't worry about repetition....I do laundry and dishes everyday!

Have you ever tried water running. I haven't, but I wonder if that is a viable option for you at this point.

Oh, I swam yesterday and rode 45 miles today. Weekly total 100-ish bike miles and 23 running miles and two swimming miles. I feel beat up!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...