Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

80551 Views 521 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2008 2:44 PM by dave48326 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 35 Previous Next
  • sixstring819 Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    420. Jul 20, 2008 12:07 PM (in response to MammaBird)
    Re: New folks

I am new to running kind of.  I was in the Marine corps but after being out for 5 years and injuring my self I gained a lot of weight.  I lost over 100 pounds now and ran my first 5k this weekend in Fenton Michigan.  I di dnot have the best time but I finished so I am proud of That so I am continuing to train and prepare myself for more runs.  I am looking forward to more this was a great time this weekend.

• TKP1954 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    421. Jul 20, 2008 1:41 PM (in response to sixstring819)

Hi Everyone,

I'm continuing to see daily progress on my efforts. Yesterday, I was busy early morning helping with my grandson, so I didn't get out until around 11 AM to run. Maybe not the smartest thing to have done. It was around 96 degrees and I really had to work at it to get the session completed.. What I'm very pleased about is how quickly I'm recovering from my workouts. They don't seem to follow me throughout the day like they use to.. I'm still struggling to get up to anything farther then a full 1.5 mile run.. I just don't seem to have the wind yet. I'll keep working at it... You guys and your stories of support keep me going. So don't stop writing!

Stargal, Congrat on your husband. That's wonderful that you and the kids got him going. If he needs an addition boost, have him join us on this site.. My wife had knee surgery last year and is not up to the running. So what she and I recently started was attempting (as the desert heat permits) walking together in the early evening. She sets the pace and course we walk in the park. Its nice to get out of the house and have time together. We just celebrated our 31st anniversary so we have a lot to talk about while walking. 

SixString819, welcome to the hood! Glad to see you are back at it and a 5k already.. Maybe we should be taking lessons from you??  

Hope you all have a good week and log many miles.

Tom

Jul 19, 2008
    422. Jul 20, 2008 2:28 PM (in response to TKP1954)

Thank you I have to say if it were not for the things I learned in the Marines I would not have been able to do it.  I did not post a great time but I went to fnish and have fun.  It is nice to meet you good luck with the training I am working on it myself my goal is to run a marathon one day. not this year though!  My 6 year old is running with me as well she wants to run some of htese races with me.  we are workingon endurance right now just longer distances we will speed up later on.  Though I take time off of my time every time we run.  I really enjoy it.

• daydreams76 Amateur 30 posts since
    May 21, 2008
    423. Jul 21, 2008 5:58 AM (in response to stargal)

Stargal..thanks for checking in on me:-)

I did my 20min straight in saturday and exept for the extremely high humidity..I managed ok. I was a little sore after that, but went over and relaxed at the pool after my run and felt much better. I started week 6 this morning at 5am and egain it was almoy 80 at that time and extremely humid. I was literllay dripping with sweat..bt I went through the wk6 day1 successfully. Thanks for all the motivation.!!!

Happy Running everyone!!

• TBoneP Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 25, 2008
    424. Jul 21, 2008 10:13 AM (in response to MammaBird)

Newbie and Newlywed here!!

Just got Married on the 18th.Now that it is over,I can focus on my 2nd run which is in Jacksonville,Fl on the weekend of my 39th b'day in August(a 5 mile beach run).

I ran for the 1st time on the 4th and finished with a 29:01.1 in the 5k race.I'm not a runner at all,been mtn biking for the past 4 yrs when I was living in NC,down here in south Ga there are no mtns.So I think the next challenging phase will be running.I loved the race and wanted to keep running.I hope that my knees can stand hitting the pavement.I am close to 30 lbs lighter then I was when mtn biking.

Training starts soon!!!

Jul 19, 2008
    425. Jul 21, 2008 12:21 PM (in response to TBoneP)

congrats on the Wedding.  Right now I would be happy with a 29 min 5K  My first was 40 min so I have a lot of work to do.  I use to run a 21 min when I was in the corps but that as many moons ago.  I did run 5.7 miles today which was great I loved it.  Trying to log about 20 miles a week to get into shape for a half marathon in Macanac this fall.  That is my goal!

• Newbie in Dallas Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 21, 2008
    426. Jul 21, 2008 6:59 PM (in response to MammaBird)

Me too! I'm running my first 1/2 marathon in November - nervous & excited - are you training for a race? Happy day !

• Mandy_C Expert 54 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    427. Jul 22, 2008 3:57 PM (in response to Newbie in Dallas)

Im here and alive, it has been a busy month. My best friend got married on June 21, and I came home that Sunday. I was home for a week or so and left again on the 3rd to go see her and my other friends. I had a great time especially since my boyfriend came to her place on the 4th and we spent it together. Her older brother is my boyfriend. I was up there till the 14th, came home and then left on Friday. I went to Salina to help my boyfriend, Brian with a softball tournament. He umpired some of the games and I was a score keeper for some games, so I spent all weekend in the nice 100+ degree weather. I did treat myself today to some new socks for running and a new pair of compression shorts (to keep my legs from rubbing and sticking together). Tomorrow I am getting up and going to a gym to work out, it is too hot outside. I will let you know how that goes. I am glad to see so many new members and hear that everyone is doing well.

• AlecsMom Rookie 3 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    428. Jul 22, 2008 6:42 PM (in response to MammaBird)

My son and I will be starting tomorrow.

: )

Erika

• AlecsMom Rookie 3 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    429. Jul 22, 2008 6:43 PM (in response to MammaBird)

My son and I will be starting tomorrow.

Erika

• stargal Expert 52 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    430. Jul 24, 2008 4:51 PM (in response to TKP1954)

Hello everyone! Tom my hubby has been going to the gym every day! He's lost 8 lbs so I think thats motivated him alot. I had to make him take a day off to rest his muscles, LOL He went from one extreme to another. Hey congrats on your 31st Anniversary that is AWESOME!!

Sixsting, welcome to the site sounds like ya still got it since the Marines. Great time on your 5k!

Daydreams, howd week 6 go for you/ I've kinda strayed from the plan and am now just running a lil further each time.

Mandy sounds like you're busy as always. Good luck at the gym.

Well I'm happy to announce that I finally took the plunge and signed up for my first 5K!!!!! It's not until October 12th, but I think that will keep me motivated to train harder for the race. I want to run the entire race without walking. Wish me luck!!

Vicki I hope things are going good for you!

Happy Running!!!

• TBoneP Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 25, 2008
    431. Jul 24, 2008 4:51 PM (in response to TBoneP)

There's  a 5 mile run coming up at the end of august.It's a beach run and I was wondering,should I try and run it barefooted or in shoes?I think it's gonna be at low tide and no soft sand.But,will the pounding of the ground be a problem?

• TKP1954 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    432. Jul 24, 2008 6:20 PM (in response to TBoneP)

Hi Guys,

Today I had my best workout to date. I ran 1.5 miles without stopping and was able to complete the rest of the scheduled workout without killing myself. Again, not a big number but its showing me that my constant workouts are making a difference. As of this morning, I have logged 18.2 miles since Sunday. I'm pretty pleased with those numbers..

I will be off the air for about two weeks as we are leaving on a family vacation tomorrow morning. Going to visit family in Chicago and then on to the real fun up in Oshkosh, WI. for a week at the EAA annual Fly-in.. The couple we are staying with live right on Lake Winnabago and I plan on running every morning alone the water. Gee, they told me it was 70 degrees today. Coming from Las Vegas I might need a sweater...

Wishing you all the best and many happy "safe" miles..

Tom 

Jul 19, 2008
    433. Jul 24, 2008 6:36 PM (in response to stargal)

Thank you.  I was happy to finish the 5k.  I am looking forward to out run through **** which is a 4.5 mile run through **** Michigan.  I am trying to improve that time I am going back in to the military in the National guard and I have to be a lot faster than that.  Plus I wan to start placing at least in my age group!  It is nice to meet you.

Jul 19, 2008
    434. Jul 24, 2008 6:42 PM (in response to Newbie in Dallas)

I am training for the Macinac Turtle half in october.  I am looking forward to staying upthere I have never been on the island or even past the bridge and I live in Michigan!  I try to run as much as possible I am running 6 miles every otherday right now MWF sprint on T TH and tak the weekend off.  Next week I am going to add a 7.5 mile run in on wednesday to push my limits a bit and once that becomes a confortable run I am going to do it every other day and add a bit more once in a while.  I am not sure if this is the best strategy but I figure as long as I feel nothing more than sorness I am good!  If it hurts then I slow down and walk.  It is nice meeting you.

1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 35 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...