Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4409 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2008 6:50 PM by lenzlaw RSS 1 2 Previous Next
LuLuMonkey Amateur 12 posts since
Jul 15, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 21, 2008 4:40 PM

Any fair skinned folk that overheat easy?

Hi there!  I'm getting back in to running after many years.  I've been running at a very slow pace (I know many that walk faster but everyone has to start somewhere).  I'm frustrated because I can't go faster.  Not because my lungs are holding me back or anything hurts but I'm simply too flippin hot.  I'd like to increase by speed but feel stuck that if I push more I'll have a meltdown.  What am I doing wrong?  Any direction would be appreciated!   I'm doing my first 5k in a long time this weekend.  Thanks in advance!

-Lulu

• Tinran Amateur 12 posts since
    Aug 2, 2007
    1. Jul 22, 2008 7:58 AM (in response to LuLuMonkey)
    Re: Any fair skinned folk that overheat easy?

Hi Lulu,

I too am fair skinned and sweat a lot (43 years old, male). I do most of my running in a company fitness center (cool and dry) but also run every 5K race near me I can.

What I do is get up extra early the day of the race and after a good breakfast, I sip water (maybe 2 glasses total) all the way up to the time I leave for the event. Obviously I need to visit the restroom when I arrive at the event, but my body is more able to deal with the heat and the sweating. Also, don't feel ashamed if you stop and drink a cup of water on the course. I say stop because it really difficult to run and drink water at the same time. Come to a complete stop, drink the water and then get your pace going again. If you just chug down a big glass of water before the event your body will use what it needs at the time and pass the rest.

I ran a 4-miler last year and it was hot. I refused to stop for water and became quite dehydrated. I don't let that happen again.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,339 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jul 22, 2008 8:28 AM (in response to LuLuMonkey)

Tinran is right, hydration is critical in the heat.  Also try to run during the coolest part of the day, usually early morning.  Heat affects us more as we age so take that into account too.  Do your best to maintain a good state of hydration all day, every day.  That way your runs will be easier, though you still have to hydrate during your run and after your run to make sure you get back to a well-hydrated state.  The simplest test is your urine color should be a pale yellow / lemonade shade.

A hint on drinking on the run: squeeze the cup into a vee and drink from the point of the vee.  It works well with paper cups but is harder with plastic cups.

Len

Len

• Tinran Amateur 12 posts since
    Aug 2, 2007
    3. Jul 22, 2008 9:36 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Len brings up a good point with the urine color. I was sure if I should go there.:D

After the 4-miler in the heat and humidity I ran last year, I didn't have to go for almost three hours and it was orange. Bad news.

• Mandy_C Expert 54 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    4. Jul 22, 2008 4:00 PM (in response to LuLuMonkey)

I am fair skinned and over heat easy. I drink a lot of water and gatorade through out the day, and to cool off poor some water on you it will help you feel better for a little while.

• Eco13 Expert 56 posts since
    Feb 18, 2008
    5. Jul 22, 2008 4:22 PM (in response to LuLuMonkey)

Hi LuLu,

I'm more medium-complected but I have pretty serious problems with heat.  Even if the day is not that hot, the sun beating down on me gets my skin hot and my heart racing and then I get the feeling that I'll never be able to catch my breath.  At least 3 times this was enough to trigger pretty bad panic attacks in which I was sure I was going to pass out or even die (literally).  Besides staying hydrated, the only way I've been able to avoid this happening is to run only when/where it is cool.  If I'm outdoors, early morning is my only option and even then a shady course is best.  Also, my running coach turned me on to these electrolyte replacements called ShotBlocks by Clif.  They're gummy squares that are 95% organic and come in a variety of flavors.  They won't cool you down, of course, but somehow they make me feel better and when you suffer from anxiety, that can make a big difference.

• quarksandsoul76 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 23, 2008
    7. Jul 23, 2008 10:32 AM (in response to LuLuMonkey)

I just wanted to say that I am glad you asked this question, because I, too, get HOT.  Not only do I get lobster-faced, I also get migraines from the heat.  Ugh.  It takes forever for me to cool down.

• Gretchen Muscente Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    8. Jul 23, 2008 12:06 PM (in response to LuLuMonkey)

Hi Lulu

When I lived in MN, I used to have a hard time overheating as well. The humidity was bad even if I ran at 5:30am. I used NUUN tabs in my water and made sure that if I was on a long run, that I was drinking every 20 minutes. A good trick that I learned for really hot days was running with a plastic baggy with a few pieces of ice in my hat. Sounds silly, but boy does it feel good.

Good luck & keep on truckin!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,339 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    10. Jul 28, 2008 7:15 PM (in response to quarksandsoul76)

Two things:

- Keep drinking after you finish your run.  Continuing to hydrate after your run helps fight off those headaches.

- Working on pace now is OK, but don't expect great results right away.  On the other hand, you will be pleasantly surprised how much faster you are when the weather really cools.

Len

Len

• Eco13 Expert 56 posts since
    Feb 18, 2008
    11. Jul 28, 2008 9:06 PM (in response to LuLuMonkey)

LuLu,

You are awsome and an inspiration.  Good luck to you and keep up the great work!

Cynthia

• Coach Corey Amateur 27 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    12. Jul 28, 2008 10:17 PM (in response to LuLuMonkey)

I read your initial post and I do believe it may be more than just "fair skin"...

Most people who start a crash course running program to get ready for a race that is quickly coming up forget to have enough hydration in their body. Even if you think you are drinking enough H20 just drink a little more. Even in the middle of your day slam a couple Gatorades if you know your going to run later.

Your body is sweating and using the toxins in your body to sweat rather than H20. Your body needs more and more H20. I doubt you will over hydrate your body if you are getting serious workouts like you describe.

In addition, take a look at your daily diet intake. Especially on the days when you are running. Lots of greens and fruits on these days. Stay away from fatty meats and fried food. Especially fast food stay away please.

For the race this shouldn't be a problem because it will be in the morning, but take a notice of the temperature when you plan on running a workout that day. Always run when it is most ideal temperature (morning + evening)

Plus in increase your stretching before your run especially, but even at the end of your run too. If your not properly stretched then your body has to work overtime to compensate which in result is kicking up your overall body temperature. So get a solid stretch in before you take off.

• Gretchen Muscente Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    13. Jul 29, 2008 10:37 AM (in response to LuLuMonkey)

I did IronGirl Bloomington 2006 & 2007. What you need to know about this race, is that it can be pretty chilling the morning of the race. I believe last year it was in the 40's when I showed up to the transition area to rack my bike.

The first run should be pretty easy. You will need to save your legs on the last loop of the bike ride. Those hills on Normandale are killer if you do not have a road bike (and still tough even if you do). My suggestion would be to train with the MN Tri club. Each year the ladies participating in Iron Girl have gotten together every Saturday in August and first weekend in September to ride the course as a group early in the am. This is a dangerous course to ride anytime except REALLY early in the morning. So, it's best to be with a group.

The last run it may be getting toasty and humid. You will want to make sure you drink a little before you leave the transition area. The water stop is not for a mile into the run. You should be okay after that.

Nutrition wise, take a gel after your first run and before you head out on your ride. Bring a gel pack with you on the ride. Bring a water bottle that has electrolyte replacement and a water bottle with just water.

This is a great course and such a fun race! I was wish I was still living in MN to do this one! Good luck and let us all know how you do.

Gretchen

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...