Skip navigation

10688 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2008 9:01 AM by TampaTom 1 2 Previous Next
x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
Jan 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 23, 2008 3:37 AM

Wednesday's runs

OK, 6 miles for me today in 72 degree heat and 84% humidity.  Not bad at a 8:36 pace.  Still need to get faster though.

The forecast is looking pretty good though after this weekend with overnight lows back in the 60s in the DC area.

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • KrisMCM Pro 137 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    1. Jul 23, 2008 4:27 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)
    Re: Wednesday's runs

6 miles for me this morning as well. Temp around 70 but humid. I was out running by 5 am. I felt sluggish today, but completed the run in 59:44 so I was happy as this is an acceptable pace for me. Tough day ahead, but I feel better about it after getting my run done. I am down to 176 pounds. I was 210 when I started running  last November.   3 miles tomorrow, then 12 miles this weekend... bring it.

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    2. Jul 23, 2008 4:38 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

You still want to get faster? Nut! You ARE fast!!

I was up at 5:40 (early for me!!) to get 6 miles in. It was 66 degrees (beautiful) but with 93% humidity (DISGUSTING!). A cool thing happened on my run: I was running MUCH faster than I felt I was. At one point I looked at my watch, thinking I was going around 10 min pace... it was 8:45, but it felt so much easier than that pace usually feels for me!  I even outran this guy who passed me about 2 miles before. All in all a good run

Oh! And I saw "Len"! He had less beard, more glasses and was much less friendly than the real Len!

Double Oh! (This post was edited twice because I don't do mornings)... I was running up a tough hill today and I caught a rhythm and I'm not sure why it popped into my head, but I started imagining myself as if I were in boot camp and Jimmy was shouting cadence in my ear right behind me. Although I don't know any cadence, so it was really Jimmy just right behind me yelling at me, but it got me up the hill!

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    3. Jul 23, 2008 4:53 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Well, Re: Wednesday's runs, sounds like I need to quit reading the forum and head out for my own six miles.  Slave-drivers!  I'll try that Jimmy calling cadence trick if necessary

BTW, it's 74 and 95% humidity for me.  By the time I get back, it will be about 85 probably...  ugh.

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    5. Jul 23, 2008 5:59 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

6.5 great miles at 6am this morning. It was drizzling rain the whole time, and then the last 5 minutes a complete total downpour... monsoon comes to mind. I never ran in the rain before, it was awesome! I was soaked! HA!

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    6. Jul 23, 2008 6:31 AM (in response to Urbster)

I ran six miles in the blazing, beating, sweltering sun...   Crappy 9:52 pace.  Then walked another mile.  It's hot!

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    8. Jul 23, 2008 8:01 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

Just finished my tempo run this morning. Temp / Humidity was 89 & 52% (which probably means rain later). Today's selection was 5 miles @ mid tempo pace, so that worked out to 8:05 min / mile for me.  The one thing I noticed was there was no "1 mile easy" in the instructions to start off. Bummer. That meant if I wanted to have any prayer of hitting my goal in this heat, the first mile had to be within 20 seconds or so of the target. So off I went at about 6:30, which was about 30 minutes later than I had hoped. Mile 1 - 8:06. A good start, but not sure what that would mean for miles 4 and 5. The second and third miles were right on the number, but the heat was definitely having an impact. I gulped down more water and pressed on. Found a little shade between miles 3 and 4 that I could run in and out of. Mile 4 - another 8:05. Must have tapped in to some of the carbs from last nights spaghetti. That gave me some motivation for the last mile. That split was 7:36, and boy was I spent. I probably only had to walk about a quarter mile home and I bet it took me close to 10 minutes. Total time 39:59, which is pretty much right at 8:00 min / mile. I'm very happy to get that over with. On with the rest of the day. Have a great back half of the week everyone. Talk to you soon.

Karl

Karl

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    10. Jul 23, 2008 10:15 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

x_39_and_holding_x wrote:

Outstanding run, Karl. I feel like I'm chasing you now.

I don't know about that.  So many variables on race day.  It's one thing to hit your targets when out running by yourself, and quite another when you are out with 30,000 of your closest friends.  That's why I think I will try to hang with a pace group this year.  Other runners might be more inclined to make way for them.  The operative word being "might".     Talk to you soon.

Karl

Karl

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    11. Jul 23, 2008 10:30 AM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

Another day, another 5 miles. I felt kind of beat for this one and the weather didn't help - 82/66%. Ya gotta love it.

Len

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    12. Jul 23, 2008 10:43 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Another day, another race. Westfield 5K & Pizza Extravaganza! Hope the pizza doesn't get too soggy (wet pizza, blech!), the hourly forecast says 80% chance of thunderstorms.

• Kyle B Pro 60 posts since
    Feb 18, 2008
    13. Jul 23, 2008 12:12 PM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

6.4 miles for me this morning.  I meant to do 6, but I went by the local pool to see if I might find my son's bike that went missing yesterday afternoon.  I know it's probably gone, but I was hoping that maybe some kid just took it for a joyride and left it on the trail.  Anyway, the battery died on my Garmin after a little over a mile, so I had no idea what my pace was until I got home.  Turned out I did it in 1:01 (just a touch over 9:30/mile) and my goal was 9:20, so I'll happily take it - I usually slow down if I'm running by myself and I don't have a watch to push me.

It was 70 degrees here in Richmond when I finished at 7am.  Not going to complain about that either, especially after seeing some of the other posts.

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    14. Jul 23, 2008 3:32 PM (in response to Kyle B)

Another 5 miles with hill intervals, after yesterday's shi!!y run today was a breeze, even the hill repeats. Now I'm cooking spagetti sc for Jimmy and Liz for Friday's carb loading dinner.  BTW the weather here is atrocious, it's raining cats and dogs and it's supposed to do that till tomorrow night.  I'm hoping it'll dry out some on Friday, it's supposed to be dry then.  Everyone keep your fingers crossed.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...