NEED HELP?|

6261 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2008 2:31 PM by Ultimate Runner
LadyTri Expert 36 posts since
Jun 9, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 21, 2008 5:02 AM

Weekly running milage for Sprint Tri?

HI everyone,

I am currently training for 2 Sprint Tri's this summer, and was just wondering what is a good average  for my weekly running mileage??  I have a very strong swimming background and the bike I don't have to worry about either..it all comes down to the run.  But just to put it into perspective, in a 5k race I can run sub 26mins.  So, I am a decent runner, but feel that after the swim and bike, I'm not going to have much left.  I try to do a BRICK (bike-run) every week, and usually come out to 10-12+ miles a week of running.  Is this a good amount, should I be running more?  Last week I did 12.5 miles total, and I am finally starting to feel good running (both on treadmill and outdoors).  Just wondering what everyone else's mileage usually consists of when training for sprint tri's?? .....!http://community.active.com/images/emoticons/blush.gif!

• jaybuddy Amateur 17 posts since
    Oct 25, 2007
    1. Jul 23, 2008 10:57 AM (in response to LadyTri)
    Re: Weekly running milage for Sprint Tri?

Assuming the run portion of the tri is a 5k... I think you are probably ok.

Usually when I am training for a sprint I will do 1 longer run and 2 short (speed workout) runs per week.

The long run is usually around 6 miles and the short ones are 3-4 miles.

Everyone is different and this is what works for me. It may or may not work for you. But atleast you have an idea of what someone else does.

Hope that helps...

• Anthony_All3 Legend 237 posts since
    Aug 8, 2007
    2. Jul 24, 2008 4:20 AM (in response to LadyTri)

To be competitive in the 5k's and sprints I usually average around 25-30 miles per week, long run usually around a 10-12 miler, with the last few miles at 10k pace and the very last at 5k pace, ending with sub 5k pace.  1 recovery run, after high intensity bike days, 1 brick, tempo run, and finally intervals.  Also, I include transition runs after every bike session(usually just a 5-10 minute run to get the legs to work on efficiency after biking).

Anthony

• neocharon Amateur 24 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    3. Aug 12, 2008 11:35 AM (in response to LadyTri)

One aspect that has not been mentioned is a high cadence through out the bike portion of your event. This will help ease your transition from the bike to the run. I usually try to increase my cadence by 10 to 15 percent before I get off the bike. For example I go from 90 rpms to 100-105rpms. This may help you.

As far as distance I would say that weekly I am running a minimum of 16 miles a week. One long run, one short tempo run and one mid distance mid pace transition run. long run is 6-8 miles short is 2-5 and mid is 3-4.

Hope this helps.

• Ultimate Runner Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 9, 2007
    4. Aug 14, 2008 2:31 PM (in response to LadyTri)

HELLO

I'M LOOKING FOR A TRI CLUB IN THE PARKVILLE MARYLAND LOCTION

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...