Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4135 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2008 6:53 PM by D F RSS
MrsT3Boys Amateur 10 posts since
Jul 12, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 26, 2008 7:32 AM

Training for 1/2 Running on grass

I am new to running,(at 48 yrs)  as is never run before.  I started running (slowly) in May and in July decided to train for a 1/2 in November.  I have just done my longest run ever, 5 miles without stopping, using a training schedule I downloaded from RunnersWorld, on Monday I will try for 6.  My question is I have been running on the local golf course as the only place to run is on concrete trails and I am afraid of the associated aches and pains associated with running on concrete, but do I need to train on some concrete before the 1/2?  Will it be harder to run the 1/2 on the streets and how do I prepare for that without to much risk of developing problems?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,372 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jul 26, 2008 11:01 AM (in response to MrsT3Boys)
    Re: Training for 1/2 Running on grass

Honestly, in terms of effort, it will probably be easier running on the road. Running on grass is softer but I think it takes more effort. If you have good running shoes, running on pavement should not be that much harder on your legs. In fact, Jeff Galloway recently said as much, I think it was in Runners World. He didn't think it made enough difference to worry about it. This goes contrary to the conventional wisdom of course.

Len

Len

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jul 26, 2008 12:38 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    lenzlaw wrote:

Honestly, in terms of effort, it will probably be easier running on the road. Running on grass is softer but I think it takes more effort.

Because the grass absorbs more of the impact, there is less return on your forward push-off.  You should be able to run at a faster pace on a harder surface.  If you are worried that the harder surface will lead to more muscle trauma, you can work on transitioning to roads by alternating the type of surface you run on until your legs become acclimatized.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

ps - Which half are you going to run?

Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jul 26, 2008 4:17 PM (in response to MrsT3Boys)
    MrsT3Boys wrote:

I will be attempting the Rock&Roll in SanAntonio, however, I will probably need to walk some of it.  I am not concerned about time since I have never done a race (or Whatever you call it!) before, I just want to finish!

If you train well and stick to a plan of gradual increases you should be able to achieve your goal.  Hopefully, once you finish your first race you'll be hooked and want to run more in the future.  Running can be a truly wonderful addiction.

Best of luck to you.

Jay

• Kimberly_Luke Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 26, 2007
    5. Jul 27, 2008 6:32 AM (in response to MrsT3Boys)

Some other great surfaces to train on are packed dirt and asphalt. Many communities have access to rails-to-trails routes, see http://www.railtrails.org/index.html

While these trails may not be the most excting to run on since they are usually fairly straight and flat, they are perfect for your long runs to build endurance. I have also gone out to more rural areas and run on non-paved roads. Usually these are packed enough to be decent to run on, but not as harsh as concrete. 

Also keep in mind there is a difference between concrete and asphalt. Asphalt is much more forgiving, and should help you transition to harder surfaces. Next time you are driving around, try to identifiy areas where the streets are blacktop instead of concrete. 

As you get closer to the race date, mix in a couple of short runs on concrete. You'll want to build strength before the race so that the concrete surace isn't a shock to your system. But as the other responders mentioned, having good running shoes with cushion should prevent stress injuries. Many of the women in my running group swear by the Brooks Adreniline shoe.

Good luck on your first half marathon!

• ChiRunning Coach Amateur 13 posts since
    Feb 6, 2008
    6. Jul 27, 2008 11:03 AM (in response to MrsT3Boys)

You have a great attitude towards your first race.

Running should be fun...enjoyable...and rejuvenating.

With that in mind...run on the grass! It's God's surface.

I train lots of trail runners and when they get on road/concrete they do awesome as their legs are  in much better shape than running on hard surfaces alone.

I'd certainly recommend a long run or two on the roads...but generally you should be okay on the grass.

And if you really want to take away the aches and pains from running I'd recommend...

a) Learn a running form (ChiRunning, Pose, or Evolution...I'm biased towards ChiRunning of course). Just learning how to run will help take away soooo many aches associated with bad habits like heel striking.

b) Make sure you have a new pair of shoes.

c.) Don't overtrain. Go slow.

d) Practice yoga. Do this three times a week.

All these things will work wonders. I've coached many people to do their first half marathon or marathon using these ideas.

Good luck,

Gary Smith

www.socalrunning.com

www.marathontraining.tv

• ChiRunning Coach Amateur 13 posts since
    Feb 6, 2008
    8. Jul 27, 2008 12:02 PM (in response to MrsT3Boys)

Kimberly,

You've got the right idea.

Save the concrete for later.

Get some experience on it but don't spend much time at  all on concrete.

I ran 16 miles on it yesterday on the bike path next to the beach in Southern California and my body is compacted and tight today.

Forget the time.

Enjoy the grass.

Your body will be much happier.

I know about that nasty humidity.

Just try to run earlier and earlier in the day.

You can do it. Set the alarm clock 10 minutes earlier each week..

Coach Gary

Jul 9, 2007
    10. Jul 28, 2008 9:37 AM (in response to MrsT3Boys)
    MrsT3Boys wrote:

When exactly does the addiction come in?  I ran 5.6 this morning at 6:15 a.m.in 92% humidity.  I guess I decided to take up running in the wrong time of the year for Texas.

Not every run will feel great, that's for sure.  Eventually, however, you'll come to a point where your day just won't seem complete if you don't get your run in.  I guess it took a few months or so for me.

Good luck!

Jay

• D F Amateur 31 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007
    11. Jul 29, 2008 6:53 PM (in response to Jay Silvio)

No doubt you need to hit the roads occasionally.  Most half marathons and major marathons are run on paved roads.  There are some trail runs out there too, although that brings a separate set of challenges with tree roots, rocks, slipping, etc.  You need to adjust to harder surface.  Golf courses are great places to train on and are good to help prevent injuries, but you need to mix it up or you will be in some pain after the race!  Good luck with the half, once you do that you'll be shooting for 26.2!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...