Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18241 Views 170 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2008 7:40 AM by fred-urie RSS Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next
  • euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    137. Jul 24, 2008 8:48 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - July

I went out and ran 2 more miles this morning.  I'll dedicate those "fast" ones to Ribs and the good outcome he'll have from his procedure.

Ks, I've decided to pick up any man wearing a Garmin.  I'll run around the others.

Roch, you may have my CamelBak and my hills.  What are you riding?

• ptbrown Legend 422 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    138. Jul 25, 2008 6:35 AM (in response to euphoric)

Last week I tried running some pace work on the track.  Subsequently I had to take 2 days off to rest my injured heel.  KS and Ribs were somewhat critical of my judgement.   I tended to discount their comments because they are old.   However, my 16 year old daughter agreed with them and told me I'm stupid.   So there seems to be a consensus.

This morning I ran 5+ miles of easy fartlek with accelerations of 600m, 1 mile, 600m.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    139. Jul 25, 2008 7:37 AM (in response to ptbrown)

Pt - who you calling old?       Oh, you mean Ribs!

10 miles this morning in the hills.  Felt surprisingly good for an OLD man.  1:21:15.   Tomorrow a 19 miler scheduled.  Thanks pfitz!

I always seem to have a running buddy who won't allow you to run side by side in training even if you can whoop him in a race.  They always have to stay a step ahead.  Maybe taking a swing at them is the answer?

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    140. Jul 25, 2008 9:17 AM (in response to fred-urie)

PT, he's right you know.  He is still  a kid and I am the one who is old, happy to admit it.  Jim and I rule!

Funny about running with someone who just always has to be a step ahead.  I can't stand running with someone who won't just give me a bit of space.  Ever run with somebody like that?  They are always right on your elbow.  It annoys me so much that I will always say something, like "how about giving me just a bit of space here?"

Looks like the stent procedure did not work, so it's definitely open heart next week.  They'll do a double bypass and replace the aortic valve at the same time. I"ll be out of action on the roads for a couple of months, but I'm determined to annoy the heck out of everyone here with constant updates on things like catheters, tubes, pills, scars and so on, just to keep you thinking about your health!   Spareribs

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    142. Jul 26, 2008 8:32 AM (in response to fred-urie)

started my run at 4:30 this morning to beat the heat and the sun.  19 miles at 8:35 pace.  Happy with that.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    143. Jul 26, 2008 8:33 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Strange how some runners always have to have a step on their training partners, but it happens to me as well.

I'm almost over this bug that's been bothering me, almost...

Thursday, 3 miles @ recovery pace on the treadmill.  NH got hit with a tornado today, tough weather across the state.

Friday, 5 miles easy.

Saturday, 6 miles easy.

Hoping to go long tomorrow, but will run a 4 mile loop course that'll keep me close to the home.  Having a run go bad when you're 8 miles from home is no fun...

Spareribs, continued good luck wishes...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Dec 10, 2007
    146. Jul 27, 2008 9:59 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Sunday,

14 miles easy...

• ptbrown Legend 422 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    147. Jul 27, 2008 10:18 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

10 miles in the hills.

It is apparent to even the most stubborn of minds -meaning me - that my heel won't tolerate any kind of fast pace. The act of extending my leg and pushing off the toe puts too much strain on the torn tissues.  So if you are in the Hudson Valley and see an aging runner with shorts that are too short (acording to my son because they don't reach my knees) and a very short fast gait, it will probably be me.   And yes,  I know I'm chopping my stride.

Dec 10, 2007
    148. Jul 27, 2008 12:21 PM (in response to ptbrown)

pt, my 11 year old granddaughter asked a while ago when I came in from a run why I had "girls" shorts on.  When I asked her what made her think they were girl's shorts, she said boys shorts are supposed to be below the knees.

One of my buddies has a daughter who's a school teacher.  She was telling him when he and couple of his buddies ran past the school one day, 3 of her female students watched 'em out the window for a ways, then said there ought to be a law against old guys wearing shorts...lol

And if you pay attention at races these days, a lot of younger guys are wearing shorts that are fashion appropriate, baggy and long.  I'm waiting to see the first one who has to use one hand to hold 'em up, I'm sure that's next... lol

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    149. Jul 27, 2008 3:35 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Friday was a swim/pool run for an hour.  A great way to beat the heat.

Yesterday was a 50 mile ride sans CamelBak.  We did some intense hills.

Today was a 4 mile ho hum run. 

Tried on bike shorts lately?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...