Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

83045 Views 521 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2008 2:44 PM by dave48326 Go to original post 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 35 Previous Next
  • sixstring819 Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    435. Jul 24, 2008 6:48 PM (in response to TBoneP)
    Re: New folks

I will tell you this.  I did a lot of beach runs in the Marines and they suck in my book.  It is nice scenery but the way the sand gives out and your legs move I always got shinn splints after one of them.  There my be a technique to avoid that and it could have been the boots and Uts we wore on a lot of those runs that made it bad.  I would think shoes would be best to help absorb some of the shock from the sand even though it gives I would think no shoes would be painful if not dangerous because of shells and other things on the beach which could cut your feet.  That is what I would think but I am not an expert so.  I can only say do not where boots or utilities while you do it because that is the worst! :_|

• stargal Expert 52 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    436. Jul 26, 2008 1:37 PM (in response to sixstring819)

HELLO EVERYONE!!! I AM VERRRY EXCITED TO SAY THAT I RAN 2 MILES TODAY FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN MY 42 YEARS OF LIFE!!!  MY GOAL WAS 1.5 BUT I PUSHED MYSELF AND MADE IT 2.0! WOOOOOOO HOOOOO!!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    437. Jul 26, 2008 2:09 PM (in response to stargal)

CONGRATULATIONS!

Len

Len

Jul 19, 2008
    438. Jul 26, 2008 8:27 PM (in response to stargal)

Congrats!   It feels good doesn't it.  I love the feeling of reaching a goal.

• whoameg Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 27, 2008
    439. Jul 27, 2008 1:58 PM (in response to sixstring819)

Do any of you know of trails or parks to run in the Flint Twp, Flushing area?  My husband and I have started a few months ago.  We are doing 4 mile 3-4 times a week.  Thats about all we can fit in with 3 kids still home, jobs and church.  But we are getting tired of the same path everyday and thought a change of scenary may help.  Also, if we want to improve our pace, 4 miles in 40 minutes, should we run shorter distance faster or longer distance, much ,much ,shorter.  Keep in mind we are 47 and 50.  We are having a great time together and feel stronger each day.  We walked for 3 years and never enjoyed it like this.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    440. Jul 27, 2008 2:55 PM (in response to whoameg)

One thing you could do, and it may add some spice to your current route, is turn it into a fartlek run.  After you've warmed up, just pick a spot down the road, and pick up the pace until you reach that spot.  Then slow to your normal pace until you've recovered.  Repeat with another target down the road. A few "rules": the distance can be anything. It might be 150 feet, or 200 yards, or whatever.  Make sure to recover before starting the next pickup.  The pace is not a sprint, it's just somewhat faster than your normal pace, a quicker but smooth and relaxed pace.

Len

Len

• jax290 Amateur 20 posts since
    Feb 18, 2008
    441. Jul 27, 2008 3:34 PM (in response to whoameg)

You might try checking out http://mapmyrun.com .  It has a lot of runs entered by other runners for just about every city you can think of.

Jul 19, 2008
    442. Jul 27, 2008 10:27 PM (in response to whoameg)

I live about 25 minutes from flint. I have several routes mapped out.  They are all back roads with plenty of hills and scenery.  I Live in Byron and I can give you some routes out here.  I have some on the routes on line here and they are all public.  If you want a change you will get it out here!

• Mandy_C Expert 54 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    443. Jul 28, 2008 6:19 AM (in response to MammaBird)

As a new week begins my mind is already racing about how I can make myself more active and healthier. Today after I am done babysitting I think I am going to buy me a new pair of shoes, my church has Adult Basketball on Tuesday nights and I am going to start going to it and maybe a new pair of running shoes if they are on sale. Since I can't seem to kick my pop habit, I am now just trying to drink pop on the weekends and the weekends only. I went to my doctor last week (sorry guys you may not want to hear this) and she said that I have polysistic ovarian syndrome, bascially my body can't produce a period without the help of birth control and because of this I will never have kids.  I was doing some research after I calmed down and found out that if I exercised more and ate healthier I could break this syndrome so that is why I am really wanting to get back into shape. It has been horrible here in Kansas with temperatures over 100 and the humidty at 80% I try and stay inside as much as I can. I am hoping tonight after it starts cooling I will either jog or walk do something to get me started.

Vicki, I took your advice and did something for me this summer and went on a couple trips to see my friends. The first trip was for my best friends wedding and the second was to see her again and relax. I feel so much more rejuevented and relaxed now that I have taken time out and made more time for myself. Well that is all for now. I surely hope everyone else is doing great.

• daydreams76 Amateur 30 posts since
    May 21, 2008
    444. Jul 28, 2008 6:40 AM (in response to stargal)

Stargal,

Week 6 went well. I actually did four days of running last week as I had an morning open due work schedule change. I've been straying from the program and pushing my self a little as well. This weekend I did a long of 4miles of trail running, with two breaks in the middle. It took me about 50mins to finish that and that's counting the breaks. I was able to do  25min straight to complete day 3 of week 6 as well. I did notice that my calf muscles were a little tight over the weekend, but they are starting to feel better again today. On to week 7 tomorrow. I usually start off with the program at least for day 1 and 2 and push a little for day 3. Also sent my 5k registration in for the run on 8/23...so I'm committed now . Starting to breathe a little better in the humidity too....last week it felt like I was breathin in water..it was so hunod outside. Its getting a little better now.

Hope everyone is doing well. I know at this time of the year the weather is huge factor...just take care and take it easy when needed. Happy Running Everyone!!

• stargal Expert 52 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    445. Jul 28, 2008 6:01 PM (in response to daydreams76)

Daydreams, GREAT JOB!!! You are doing so AWESOME!  I know the weather is terribe. I'm in Florida and we got 90's and ver high humidity also, so I  know what ya mean. Keep up the good work.

Mandy I'm so sorry to hear about your syndrome, but if you can get over it with diet and exercise I know you can do it!  Just keep positive and it will happen.

I hope everyone has a great week. Be safe in the heat. Happy Running!

• KCRrunner Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    446. Jul 29, 2008 5:44 AM (in response to MammaBird)

New to running too.  I have been running for about 2-3 months.  Just finished my first 2 mile race.  My goal was to do it under 20 minutes and I did.  I had 90 degree heat and three hills I wasn't expecting but finished in 19.24 minutes.

• Hilorie Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 24, 2008
    447. Jul 30, 2008 11:48 PM (in response to MammaBird)

I'm new, so new, I have only made the mental and verbal commitment to running a 1/2 marathon in January.   I start my training next week, and have already recruited 2 people that will run with me.   I bought my shoes and a good sports bra, I'm ready to go.   Came here for support from people that are already running.  I ran the 1/2 in 2004, so I know I can do it!!  I am very excited to start this up and have such a great goal to work toward.   Wish me luck!

• Vicki S. Legend 262 posts since
    Aug 31, 2007
    448. Jul 31, 2008 11:18 AM (in response to stargal)

Hello Everyone,  we are still kicking and alive.  Stargal  Congrats on your accomplishment and getting your husband to workout as well.   MAndy my prayers are with you and I am glad you took some time for yourself.  Things will work out for you.   We still haven't sold our house here so we probably won't be moving until next year.  On a more postive note I am a new postion at work which is more up my alley Loss Prevention. So I have been training and learning lots.  Enough about that. AS for my exercise we have taken several turns, with the heat getting up a 5:15 am can be rough at times so my son and I are fighting with that that would be the roll over and go back to sleep syndrome.  We did two good days of bike riding last week then he did not want to Sunday or Tuesday because he was tired.  So we had a little talk and he decided that the Lee Canyon hill climb race wasn't what he wanted to do this year.  So our training has been up in the air I think for the rest of the summer we will do running, biking , and some tennis   Just have. We also have th eLas Vegas Century ride in October so I think we will train for that.  Plus do another 5k along the way.

To everyone else I would have say good going an dkeep up the good work. I would like to hav a day of 70 degree weather to run in for about week that might get me back in the groove.

If anyone new and old needs tips or motivation just log on and ask.  I know that when I haven't checked in for awhile  and do all of you guys inspire me.  THanks everyone.  

I will also be updating my blog today.

• Mandy_C Expert 54 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    449. Aug 3, 2008 5:34 PM (in response to Vicki S.)

I am a big slacker. I have not worked out in I don't know how long. This past week I told Wichita State to kiss my *** basically and I transfered to Butler County which has an extension part in a town close to me. I am already in there education program and am looking forward to it. So I am getting myself adjusted to that and getting everything finished up with them and also my sister has decided to take my desk and dresser so I am organizing my room and trying to find new furniture. I am hoping that after life slows down I will start working out again. My classes are Monday and Tuesday night so I can work the rest of the week. There is a small gym close to my house I am going to check into. I hope everyone is doing better than me.

1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 35 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...