Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3279 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2008 12:16 AM by SoftballPerformance_com
ShredJS Amateur 30 posts since
Mar 28, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 15, 2008 8:52 AM

Has anyone ever coached softball?

I've coached my son in baseball, but now my daughter is playing softball and I would love to be involved although I don't know the first thing about coaching softball or girls. Anyone coached before? Where? Any advice?

• BurghBall Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 16, 2008
    1. Apr 16, 2008 5:21 PM (in response to ShredJS)
    Re: Has anyone ever coached softball?

I've only coached at the 10U and 12u levels. I'd like to think that I gave the girls a great foundation for the future.  Unfortunately, due to the time involved, I had to retire to the bleacher.  My best advice is to educate yourself as best as possible.

• First, learn the rules so you can give the girls the best chance to be a knowledgeable player.

• Next, learn how to teach the game. Watch some videos or read about the proper stance for batting, a good compact swing, good fielding and throwing fundamentals.

• Go to  a pitching clinic and see how the basics of pitching is taught.

• Don't try to manage a team on your own at first if you can help it. Be an assistant coach and observe how the manager handles playing time, ruling disputes, etc.

• Be honest with yourself. If you think maybe you're too much of a hot head or not patient with girls just learning the game, do everyone a favor and step down.

• Remember that rec ball isn't about the wins and losses - it's about everyone getting a chance to play, learn, and have fun.  Teach sportsmanship above all else.  Travel ball and high school varsity teams are when the record really means something, so girls should earn their spot on the field and in the line-up. Be aware of the best opportunities to put players in the game who would otherwise be riding the bench.

You have a wonderful opportunity to create memories for these young ladies, either positive or negative. I hope you make the right decision.

• Andre_sp SportsPowerStaff 236 posts since
    Aug 29, 2007
    3. May 1, 2008 8:24 AM (in response to ShredJS)

good luck with your coaching in the future it is definitely a good experience to have and enjoy

• SoftballPerformance_com Pro 128 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Jul 29, 2008 12:16 AM (in response to ShredJS)

Here is a link to softball coaching tips that might help:

Softball Coaching Tips

And I also did a post on my blog recently about coaching youth softball and why people do it..  Check it out. 

Cheers,

Marc Dagenais

Softball Peak Performance Coach

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points