Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3429 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2008 7:23 PM by rstarrw
Beach Goddess Amateur 8 posts since
Dec 27, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 25, 2008 12:13 PM

Type 1 diabetes & exercise

I am a very active type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetic (diagnosed 36 years ago) but I am having problems calculating my insulin needs on the days i work out.

I am using  1 unit of humalog to 7 grams of carb I ingest. Plus 1 unit per 20 points I want to bring my sugar down from its current reading (ex: reading is 180 before lunch, and I'm eating 21 grams of carb, so I'd take 3 units of insulin to cover the meal, plus 3 more to bring my readings down to 120).

any other type 1's out there? I seem to be crashing alot about an hour to two after my workouts. I am eating healthy meals pre-workout incl. carb and protein. I am also trying to lose a few pounds, so I don't want to snack toooo much.

I am wondering how other active Type 1 diabetics manage their meals, their insulin and their workouts.. please give me your anecdotes, schedules, etc.

• culinarydoctor Expert 77 posts since
    Oct 31, 2007
    1. Jul 30, 2008 11:11 AM (in response to Beach Goddess)
    Re: Type 1 diabetes & exercise

Go for a walk.  I do not have diabetes, but have trained and worked with several people who do, and a post meal stroll can drastically effect blood glucose, might even help shead those extra pounds.  Great book on the subject:  Reversing Diabetes by Julian Whitaker.  More so geared to type 2, but several jewels of wisdom.  Best of luck.

• steve s Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 22, 2007
    3. Aug 25, 2008 10:49 PM (in response to Beach Goddess)

This is an older post, but of major interest to me being an active type 1 diabetic as well. You seem to calculate things fairly well and my routine may seem haphazard in comparison. I bike 5 days a week averaging 120 most weeks and  rarely less than 100 unless I run. I test at least 8-10 times a day, so before a work out if my sugar happens to be really high I'll inject some fast acting insulin to get my readings below 240, then go for a 20 mile ride. I always carry a gel or 2 ,so, if I feel funny I err on the side of caution. If I go 40 miles or more I make sure I do a route that is fairly close to home and try to check  my sugar at about 20 miles. This usually works, but not always. Last week , after work, I checked my sugar and it was in the 300's (fortunately I have never gone dka), I injected too much insulin getting in down to about 240 and headed out for a ride. Just for caution I ingested a GU, at 15 miles, I started to notice my blood sugar was dropping. I finished my 20 mile ride and checked my sugar. I think it was 43. Needless to say my routine is not perfect. But you know the mantra. Keep your diet and routine pretty much the same and adjust your insulin as needed. I'm pretty much unaware of my nighttime lows. Sleep can really be a bummer and I've had a few bad lows. I hope you find out what works for you, but most of all, we type 1 diabetics can never give in to it. I x-country ski as well and take my inspiration from successful diabetic athletes that are competitive and these days I root for team type 1 cyclists. But AGAIN, I check, check, check my sugar frequently so I can adjust. I'll err on the slightly higher side to avoid the lows, even if it means my A1Cs are no longer as good as they were in the past. Again, you may be shooting for really tight control, but I still don't have any diabetic complications more than 10 years after being diagnosed. The other poster mentioned walking. You and I know, that just ain't goin to cut it. Best of luck. Staying healthy until they find a cure.

• SeanReymond Expert 1 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    4. Sep 1, 2008 1:09 PM (in response to steve s)

I have Type 1 diabetes (for 11 years now) and last year I started marathon running. I started after I switched to using an insulin pump. There is no way I could have done it when I was using injections because the level of control and adjustment you can achieve with the pump is not possible with regular injections.

For me I decrease my basal insulin rate while running (typically to 30-40% of normal), decrease basal rate for a few hours after exercise (usually 80% for 2-4 hours after), and make significant changes to bolus rates for meals 2-4 hours after exercise. The change in bolus is sometimes difficult to get right, but normally I use 1 unit of humalog per 10 grams of carbohydrate and change to 1 per 15-20 after exercise. It depends a lot on length and intensity of exercise.

Also, I have just started incorporating smaller energy snacks in my runs. I take 8-10 grams of carbohydrate every 15-20 minutes instead of 30 grams every 45 min to an hour like most endurance athletes do. I think this helps maintain a consistent blood sugar level as opposed to having it dip and spike with larger doses of carbs.   

• cyclechic1 Rookie 5 posts since
    May 22, 2008
    6. Sep 5, 2008 6:10 AM (in response to Beach Goddess)

Hi there,

I'm type 1 and have been for about 10 years.  I too am very active.  I just finished my first IRONMAN triathlon last weekend.  I have to tell you that being extremely active on injections is very difficult.  I couldn't have completed the ironman without the insulin pump.  I would suggest switching to the pump if you can afford it.  It is VERY helpful!!  You can give extra boluses at any time and you can turn it off if you need to at any time, like I had to do during the marathon portion of the ironman.

In order to help me with figuring everything out ie: workouts, nutrition, bloodsugar control, etc., I enlisted the help of a company called FIT4d.  They are a company that have diabetic educators, nutritionists, excercise physiologists, coaches, etc.  My coach in particular is also a type 1 diabetic and the owner of the company is as well and he himself has completed 3 ironman and many other triathlons.  They have changed my life.  Even if you don;t have an event that you are training for, they can help you get everything sorted out.  I have realized that every single body is different and what I may say that I do, may be totally different from what works with you.

You're right, culinarydoctor had no idea what you were talking about!!  Best of luck and please give FITA4d a call.  I don't work for them or have any affiliation with them other than being a VERY satisfied client.  As I said earlier, they have helped change my life!!!!

Best of luck!  Always in health,

Shannon

May 22, 2008
    8. Sep 5, 2008 11:31 AM (in response to Beach Goddess)

I was very reluctant to go on the pump as well.  I get annoyed that I have to have something hanging on me at all times as well, BUT the freedom that you get is all worth it!!  Sometimes it's a ittle inconvenient if you have/want to wear a little more snug fitting clothing, but I'd rather be on the pump and struggle with that then struggle with more of the highs and lows that you get with injections.  Iam incredibly more active now that I have the pump then when I was on injections.  Life in genereal is just so much easier.  If you're worried about dating and having that stick out of you, well if it bothers a guy, then they're not worth it.  Guys I've dated never mind at all.  The guy I'm withnow, is fabulous with it!!!

They might beable to work with your budget as I think it can get pricey....... worth every single penny though

To get in touch with FIT4d, here's the website:

www.Fit4D.com

If you have any more questions about the pump or the website or anything else, let me know.  I hope it works out for you.  I notice that your post was a year prior and very few responses.  I've found it difficult to meet many type ones that are really active.  Good luck!

Always in health,

Shannon

Aug 22, 2007
    9. Sep 5, 2008 2:55 PM (in response to cyclechic1)

Hi, Steve S here.

I undersrtand BeachGoddess 100%. The idea of wearing an apparatus attached to my body such as the pump, just doesn't sit well with me. Changing sites every 3 days, catheters, not to mention sleeping with a pump ugh!  However,  if one comes along that seems to fit the bill it would be worth researching. To date the only pump I've seen that's close to meeting my needs is the Omnipod used by the Team Type I cyclists. Unfortunately my insurance company, Kaiser does not cover it, so I never really pursued it further. I will check into the FITA4d though as I'm always curious to learn what options are available.  I do wish there was a good gluclose monitor for checking nightime lows. PS It's great to hear and learn from other active type 1's what problems they have and their experiences for dealing with them.  With that said, I'm leaving working and heading out for a quick 20 mile ride. That is of course, after I check my sugar.                                                                               

Care all, Steve

Aug 22, 2007
    10. Sep 5, 2008 9:33 PM (in response to steve s)

I guess I misunderstood. I thought  FITA4d was a specific insulin pump. I did check out the site though. Just out of curiosity cyclechic1, what insulin pump do you use?                                                                               

Steve S

May 22, 2008
    11. Sep 6, 2008 7:53 AM (in response to steve s)

Hi Steve,

I use the medtronic insulin pump.  They're all about the same size, as I've looked at them all.  I like that I can use my glucose monitor that medtronic provided for me that talks to my insulin pump, just makes things convenient.  They deliver supplies to your door.  It can be automatic delivery or you can order eery few months yourself.  I know that they say change every 3 days, but because of the cost I stretch it out to every 5 days.  My insurance compnay covered 80% of the cost of the pump.  Unfortunately I have a $1000 deductible with supplies, so I have to pay out of pocket for the cost of most of the supplies for the year.  It is worth it though, especially if you are active.  YES, it is a major pain in the neck, but after a while, you don't know it's there.  I'd much rather beable to control my little pancreas then to have to worry about if I feel good enough to go for a 75 mile bike ride instead of what I had planned like a 20 miler and taken too much insulin by syringe.

I wonder if you contacted a sales rep and asked if you could trial it for a month, if they would let you do so.  You are the customer and it's alot of money, maybe they'll do it for you.  I can guarantee that if you talk to the team type one guys that they will tell you that without the pump, they couldn't do what they do.  I had exchanged some emails with phil sutherland on the team when I began my ironman training.  They are all willing to answer questions as they're sooo nice!  It might take a while to get a response because of how busy and well known they have gotten, but worth a try.

Talk to you soon.  Best of luck and really, really consider the pump!!!

Always in health,

Shannon

• rstarrw Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 3, 2008
    12. Sep 10, 2008 7:23 PM (in response to Beach Goddess)

Are you on an insuling pump? I am a type 1 and I prefer it over shots. If you are, there is a great book out there called, "Pumping Insulin" and I think it was written by John Walsh. (?) The newer version came out a couple of years ago but it appears to be very up to date. Depending on what kind of exercise you do depends on the way your muscles break it down. I started walking/ running in the evenings about six weeks ago and I have had problems with lows first thing inthe morning. So at my last visit, my endo told me to reduce my basal by 50% the hour before and during my work out. But I am doing some basal testing now because i have lost some weight and it is affecting my carb ration which is 5 and my sensitivity which is at 25.

But the thing you have to watch with weight loss, is, that your not feeding your lows. As our levels drop we consume carbs, which defeats the whole purpose of weight loss in my opinion.

Good luck,

Robin

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...