Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1585 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2008 7:47 AM by tomwhite RSS
djneill Rookie 10 posts since
Aug 17, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 30, 2008 1:47 PM

5 weeks since turned ankle

Hi all,

5 weeks ago I turned my ankle jogging, and while nothing was broken, it's my worst turn ever.  Usually I can jog again pain free within a few days but not this time.  I still have a little swelling (it's kind of on the outside side of my right ankle but where it joins the main foot in the soft tissue, and not up by the leg), and it hurts to rotate it along the angle of the turn too far.  I tried running a week after when I could walk without pain, but it reaggravated it so I'm afraid to run again.  Back after it happened, my primary doctor just said it will get better, and to avoid painful things and take ibuprofren.

Can I swim, walk, bike, what?  I have an appt with a sports medicine doctor Aug. 15.

For any advice,

Thanks,

Dan

• sherrymclaughlinpt Rookie 27 posts since
    Apr 21, 2008
    1. Jul 30, 2008 3:13 PM (in response to djneill)
    Re: 5 weeks since turned ankle

Hi.

There are two major ankle motions usually lacking after a sprain - dorsiflexion (the ability to pull your toes up) and eversion (the ability to roll your foot so that the inside of the heel presses to the floor). As a result, you tend to spend more time than usual on the outside of your foot. This tends to aggravate or cause a greater likelihood of sprain and/or reinjury.

Here's what you can try:

1. Stretch to get more dorsiflexion. A calf stretch is OK. An exercise we called a modified gravity drop is better. If you know yoga - the downward dog can be good, too. What you want to do is make sure your toes are pointed straight ahead (not toed out) when you do this.

2. Get more ankle eversion. One of the best ways to do this is to balance on a 1/2 foam roll (round side down) for 1 minute intervals. At first your leg will shake, but as you reteach your body how to keep balance (which requires eversion) this should help.

3. Do a cross over line walk. Walk like you are stepping over a line. Make sure your toes are pointed straight ahead.

4. Loosen up your hip in the frontal plane. Roll the ITB on a foam roll and also do an exercise called the medial reach with contralateral arm at waist level, or if you do yoga... the triangle to the opposite side.

All this is info based on the hundreds of cases we've seen like yours where a sprain turns into quite a nuisance. I would love to send you some exercise pics if you email me at smclaughlin@mihp.net, I'll send those along!

Good luck to you.

Sherry

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 3, 2008 7:47 AM (in response to djneill)
    Re: 5 weeks since turned ankle

hope you're feeling better Dan......I tore out my ankle ligaments on 3 seperate occasions, (1974, 1982, and 2001)

and have since started using ''mid'' (over the ankle) trailboots on uneven ground,

also, the NISMAT website has some useful Taping How-To's for extra stability,

just go easy and be ready to STOP if you need to,

this is the Part of The Program where The Injury tells You how much you get to run.

....don't force it, and try to run on soft, level surfaces (padded Football Infields are perfect)

..........hang in there, and just be aware it happens easier after you tear it up.....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...