Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18386 Views 170 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2008 7:40 AM by fred-urie Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    150. Jul 27, 2008 3:39 PM (in response to Rich in NH)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - July

Afternoon all,

6.75 miles this afternoon getting a beat down from the sun.   95 degree heat index.

I race in the same type of shorts we ran in in high school.  Short but modestly short :).    I don't do my workouts in racing shorts but run in a bit longer yet running shorts.  I don't like the feel of fabric on my legs when I race whether it be lycra or regular shorts.   I don't think lycra is any more modest than shorts.  I often turn off the sprints of the track meets on tv due to the "nothing hidden" lycra shorts.  Maybe I'm just jealous  or just too old

Looking forward to next week installmens of the Fred and Raider stories.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    153. Jul 28, 2008 3:56 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Monday,

6 miles on the dirt trail @ recovery pace.  Only thing of interest was a snapping turtle crossing the trail just before the end of the run.  I got behind him and tipped him up with my toe and got snapped at for my trouble.

I wasn't skeered though, I knew I could outrun him... lol

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Aug 14, 2007
    155. Jul 29, 2008 8:25 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Nice runs Rich and Fred.   Rich glad you could outrun that turtle.   Saw 2 rabbits this morning on my run and SMELLED a skunk.  He was a strong smeller!   Nice pace Fred; likely you weren't even breathing hard.

Schedule today called for a 2 mi warmup and 4 mile tempo and cool down.  My goal for tempo was goal marathon pace of 7 mpm.   I race short races at right at 6 mins avg and last 1/2 was 6:24 per mile.  Is my tempo pace about right?   Anyway I really struggled today in the heat and humidity and ran a 7:03 pace on some rolling sometimes steep terrain.   Also does digestion after a meal affect energy for a run?   I always thought that it did.

ps.  don't eat canteloupe before you run in the heat. 

Dec 10, 2007
    156. Jul 29, 2008 4:03 PM (in response to ksrunr)

ksrunr, far be it for me to tell you how to run, but if you punch a 5K time of 18:40 (6:00 pace) into Daniel's pace calculator, it comes back with a tempo pace of 6:26. From the looks, you're running your tempo runs too slow.

Nice run Fred.

I'm wondering if anyone else has anything in their running form they have to keep an eye on. I noticed yesterday I slump when I run. Not much and I suppose it's to take some of the pressure off my back, but I run better if I'm upright. I kept track of it today and it must be something I've been doing for a while, I had to consciously straighten up or I'd go back to my old ways in a heartbeat. Sheesh, it's always something...

Tuesday,

5 miles easy...

Aug 14, 2007
    157. Jul 29, 2008 7:18 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich please don't apologize on my account for your advice.  I listen to the elites to the beginners.  I can never know it all.  You're right that my tempo pace was about 30 secs per mile off.  I was trying to adjust for heat and humidity, running 30 mins after a sturdy breakfast , and trying to get going early.   I'm glad I didn't have to race anyone this morning!  I'd have done it; but it would have hurt.  I think I'm still behind the curve on this mileage pace I'm on as well.  Hopefully will be able to handle the mileage after a couple more weeks or will cut back about 10-15% and see how I handle that.

As far as form is concerned; I don't monitor it often.  But when I do I tend to run more effeciently.   Most deal with foot strike and forward posture.  Sometimes I pay attention to the pull thru after the foot strike and that's the one that makes me feel the swiftest.

Aug 14, 2007
    162. Jul 30, 2008 8:51 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred - You're right about the heat vs. pace.  I figure 30-45 seconds if temp drops 20-30 degrees from yesterday.   At least that's my story for now.

I'm guessing your all out 800 @ about 2:15.   Am I too high?

16 miles of rolling hills this morning.   8:22 pace.   Drank 3.5 bottles of gatorade.  Still lost a little water weight but lost more weight to the mosquitos ripping off my skin and flying away.  Man they're big after the rain.  Almost knock you down when they land on you.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    163. Jul 30, 2008 12:15 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Just low mileage walks all this week.  Will go under the knife in the morning.  Wife will post update on RA and Kick late in day.   KS, you can relay it over here if you like.   Spareribs

Dec 10, 2007
    164. Jul 30, 2008 5:37 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Spareribs, I'll be thinking of you.

I'm struggling lately, my training runs aren't going so well.  I think it's got to do with running 3 races in 3 weeks and trying to continue with training right away.  I  tried to blame it on a stomach virus at first, then a cold and sore throat later.  Neither is an issue any more am I'm still not up to par.  Nothing serious, but my legs are sore and won't do what I ask.

SOooooo...

Wednesday,

Attempted tempo run ended up being 7 miles easy...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...