NEED HELP?|

2472 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 6, 2008 8:17 PM by Lagnar
sishwar Rookie 1 posts since
May 27, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 27, 2008 2:53 PM

Beginning Swimmer - Training/coach question

Hello all,

I am an enthusiastic running and biker, however I do not know how to swim.

Let me clarify that, I dont know how to breathe rhythmically in water, therefore I can barely swim 100 meters. I am hoping to complete the ironman next year. I need to train for it.

I am also a consultant who flies in and out every week so only have time on the weekends to learn. 

I need help! both in terms of perspective(how long does it take to train for the ironman - I have run multiple marathons and dont envision a problem with the cycling - with proper training ofcourse) as well as w.r.t. direction.

Asking around, i feel that getting a swim coach is probably a smart thing(not getting classes that correspond with my schedule is a problem).

If anyone knows any good swim coaches in the north chicago suburbs(vernon hills, lake forest area), please let me know. I would love to learn on the weekends and train for next year. 

Sincerely,

Ishwar

• Lagnar Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 27, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 6, 2008 8:17 PM (in response to sishwar)
    Re: Beginning Swimmer - Training/coach question

Consider visiting the USA Triathlon website because you can search for a coach by geographic area.  Don't be surprised if they try to talk you out attempting an IM as your first tri.  Respect the distance 2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike then run a marathon.  It is also difficult to register for an IM because there are so few spots and you need to register about a year in advance.  Plan on a year of training that may start at about 8 hours and may go up to 20+ hours week.  You will swim, bike, run, strength train, and don't be surprised if yoga is added into the mix; 8 to 12 sessions a week.  Over the last couple of years I have seen a number of people with IM dreams get dashed because they did fully appreciate all that was required, then took on to much and ended up getting injured.  It also helps to have a good support group and you don't mind not having a life because all you do train, eat, sleep and work.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points