Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5289 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2008 10:30 PM by Norbertt RSS 1 2 Previous Next
MrsHenning Rookie 6 posts since
Aug 6, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 6, 2008 12:57 PM

Newlywed ready to shed!

I just wanted to stop in and say hi to everyone.  I am SO glad I found you.  I actually saw C25K in someones success story and I wanted to check it out.  I have been trying to find something that would ease me into running and I am SO excited to start tomorrow.

Is it cool to start on a Thursday?  I don't think it matters actually.  My goal is to do it everyother day no matter what.

About me, I am 26, newlywed as of last Friday, mommy of 9 month old Dean.  I want to be a hot mama, not this person that my personality does not match anymore.

I was married before gag and I lost me.  I gained so much weight (like 80 pounds) from my high school physique, and was miserable.  Back in 2002 I went on a diet and lost 50 pounds.  But since then I have been through a divorce, dating, a baby and now a wedding.  WOW life happens quickly!

My goals are to lose a bunch of weight, 80+ pounds, and get into shape to be healthy to try for #2 next summer!  What a goal right?

Just wanted to say hi!  And Ia m glad I can become a "runner"!!

Sarah

• Pickeenick Rookie 17 posts since
    Aug 5, 2008
    1. Aug 6, 2008 2:47 PM (in response to MrsHenning)
    Re: Newlywed ready to shed!

Hi Sarah. My name is  Niccole I'm 34, a mother of 3 (11;9;27months) and I know all about getting married having a baby and gaining a lot of weight. I started the C25K yesterday Tues. and I did well. I'm a little sore but a good sore. I to have about 55 lbs to loose. My husband is in the military and PT 2 hours everyday and is in excellent shape. I just want to feel and look  better in my body too.  I've never been a runner but I wanted to give myself a goal...something to work at and accomplish. God know I don't have enough going on right   Good luck tomorrow. Maybe we should start keeping track of one another...for a little added moral support. I'm so sorry I almost forgot CONGRATULATIONS on getting married!!

• D F Amateur 31 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007
    2. Aug 6, 2008 7:39 PM (in response to Pickeenick)

Just keep on going like Forrest Gump.  Congrats on your goals!  Once you get into the routine, you will find that some form of fitness will become part of your lifestyle.  I enjoy running, cycling, swimming, and working out everyday.  I look forward to it.   Keep setting some small goals, maybe enter a 5k down the road, and you will stay with it and get excited about it.  Good luck and welcome to the forum!

D

• spenney Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 7, 2008
    3. Aug 7, 2008 7:37 AM (in response to MrsHenning)

hey newlywed... im sarah... im 18 (just graduated) and i think it would be a really good idea for you to have a running buddy or at least another friend who runs.... kind of like inspiration.... my moms turning 41 this year (she has three kids 20,18,6) and has been married/ divorced twice... but i got her into to doing the tuft 10k for womens breast cancer in boston with me three years ago and it gave her a reason to go running (though we hardly ever run together) since then shes lost a ton of wieght and she always looks forward to this one race a year with me... she loves it because there are like 6000 women of all abilities running this race so she never feels slow or anything like that.... she just has fun... perhaps you shloud find a race in your area like that (well my mom and i may have to travel 4 hrs to get there) but the whole trip is worth it)!!! good luck

• crazyot Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Aug 7, 2008 8:26 AM (in response to MrsHenning)

Hey Newlywed, I am an on again runner, meaning I used to run, then couldn't get up in the morning and quit, now running again, sometimes have trouble getting up... Don't get discouraged, try going to your local running store, they often have a group that meets once or twice a week and you can start at the beginning with them. They will give you advice on shoes, training and diet. Lots of folks out there who want to share the love. Also, try iPod podcast Podrunner intervals, have C25K walk/run progression so you don't have to time yourself, the music does it for you.  Best of luck. Keep on movin'!

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    8. Aug 8, 2008 12:26 PM (in response to MrsHenning)
    Re: First 5K in November?!?

Henning I just posted this on for another person and I thought to give it to you.

Goodluck on your way to a healther life style. I think at the very begining of running it is easy to get caught up in how far you have run, I would say run for time only for the first couple of months. What I mean is make a goal of say, I want to run for 10 minutes without stopping, set goals you can acheive easy at the begining and raise the bar as you go along. No matter how hard you run as long as you run for 10 minutes its a goal. In this time you should be thinking about how it feels to run, and your breathing. You will have time to build for running a race soon enough. just get the basics down. If you want to run more then run again and add that alittle to your run next time

Unless your training for a Marathon you shouldnt run more then 10 miles a week or up to 4 times a week no more then a hour at a time. if you want more exerise, cross train in some other sport, Biking, rollerblading, weight training what ever you enjoy.

Learn to read what your body is telling you, dehydration, hunger, pain, injury, and feeling when it comes to food your eating, this is very important because the food you eat can dictate how well your run.

I run early but it doesnt mean its good for you, you need to find the time that you feel you have the most energy during the day and stick to that time every time. Its different for everyone and you need to find that time for yourself.

Like everyone says take it slow and easy you have time and you wont be great over night, just try and stay injury free as much as possible and everthing else will fall into place.

GoodLuck,

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• Paul828 Pro 125 posts since
    Dec 25, 2007
    9. Aug 9, 2008 6:11 AM (in response to MrsHenning)

Sarah,

Welcome to Active. This is a wonderful place for inspiration and good info as you begin your new life style of active running.

I love the goals that you voiced. It is very important to set goals. But can I suggest that you mentally develop a mind set that what you are doing is establishing a life style. This is going to be who you are. It is ok to have the desire and set the goal of being what you are calling 'hot' because you feel that your current physic doesn't match your personality. But many times those desires can fade and wane over the years. I would encourage you to become a "runner". This means that your become nutritionally educated, physiologically knowledgeable, dedicated to the "fix" that your regular workout gives you. This "runner's" life style will create by-products of weight loss, improved sleep cycle, increased energy, improved firing of the synopsis of the brain, etc. But the life style mentality is what will help you drive to consistency.

You are a runner. Welcome to the club.

Come back to Active many times and get your inspiration and questions answered, There is a collection of very knowledgeable life time runners here to tap into.

Stay on the Ball!

Paul828 http://community.active.com/blogs/p-dog

• Marcia Moore Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    11. Aug 11, 2008 11:04 AM (in response to MrsHenning)

Hey good luck on your endeavor.  I'm a relatively new runner (this time anyway).  I really enjoy it.

I agree on the recommendation to "run for time".  I built up my running with the book "Running and Walking for Women over 40" by Katherine Switzer.  Even though I'm not over 40, it's a great how-to.  If you google the title and author, you can find her running plan on-line.  It's a time-based plan (run for 5 min, walk for two, repeat).

As far as weight loss goes, what's always worked for me (pre-baby and post-baby) is Weight Watchers.  I always did the online program.  Pounds just melt off for me.

• amichelleh Rookie 9 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    12. Aug 11, 2008 9:24 PM (in response to Marcia Moore)

To show how new I am, what is C2-5K?  Thanks.

• amichelleh Rookie 9 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    13. Aug 11, 2008 9:27 PM (in response to MrsHenning)

Good luck to you!!  I am 52 and just started running this year!!  Whoah I am so excited/sore!  But I am going for it and plan on a half marathon in January.  Take care and congratulations.

• nanaruns Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    14. Aug 11, 2008 10:19 PM (in response to amichelleh)

Hi, I am so excited for you to be starting running! I am 50 in January, and plan to run my 3rd marathon on my birthday. The Walt Disney World Marathon. I did my first one in Phoenix in '06. The highs you get from running are wonderful. I think it really helps with balancing hormone levels too! I feel great, and it keeps me young. Cheers to you!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...